“Paradise in the sun”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
“Paradise in the sun”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Outstanding resort. People were out of this world, so friendly and genuine. All the little extra touches take it over the top. My hope is that it stays as quiet and restful for many years to come. Looking forward to our next visit in 2015.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank lailasmypuppy
Miguel D, Gerente at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This review is way over due, since we went back in April, but it's not for lack of love just, procrastination. We have booked our second trip for next year already, so I think that says it all! We cannot say enough for the staff! Jidiel and Diamy were always great with the drinks and Greg never had a rum special from Diamy that was the same! Alex made the best royalton coffees! I recieved a wonderful note from Daria on our last day! Our housemaid Dayami never ceased to surprise me with her art work, i don't think i saw the same thing twice in the two weeks we were there.We had two butlers Anna and Alex, i feel this service should be called concierge! It felt like family! We saw the two managers Miguel and Mateus numerous times a day and they always inquired how things were and if there was anything they could do! Everyone made us feel like this was our home!
There is plenty to do we just chose to enjoy the ocean and the pool! Yes it is a quieter resort, so keep that in mind if, all you want to do is party! If you bring a three litre drinking jug(a little ridiculous if you ask me) than be prepared to wait and not be rude to the staff because of your inconsideration! There are other guests! I was very impressed when both Miguel and Mateus helped at the restaurant when we had an influx of guests arriving at the resort on their first day!
The grounds were beautiful and the view from our balcony was out of this world, we could even see the ocean from our shower! We hope to have the same room(610) next year as we did this year!

Do I have anything bad to say not really, the only disappointment i had was that we didn't get a bath run on our last evening, but that's a minor blip. The ambiance would have been nice! We'd heard from other guests who'd had this done for them. All in all, we loved it and have found a second home in Cuba! We hope to return to visit their sister resort at Royal Hicacos when the dust has settled.

Thank you to Miguel, Mateus and all of the staff for making our stay such an enjoyable and wonderful one! We can't wait to see you next year!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view its worth it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chantal D
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Chantal D,

Thank you so much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our hotel in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

It is fantastic to see how much you enjoyed your vacation with us and you have already booked your next trip with us next year. Wow!!

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 17 July 2014

After 16 days on the road traveling across Cuba we spent 5 nights in the Royalton. If you're looking for a very quiet place to relax with a beautiful beach, this is your spot.

BUT, as a fair warning, we're in our early thirties and we were bored after the first day. There is literally NOTHING to do there (beside 30minutes of beach volleyball every morning). Bring a few books!

Things we liked:
- very friendly personnel, big shout out to our Butler Lester who really did an amazing job!
- very close to a very clean beach with enough sun loungers
- clean rooms (another shoutout to the maids, super friendly, super fast)
- the Café actually serves decent coffee (and they have a few well picked Scotches)
- no kids!

Things we didn't like (only about the restaurants really):
- after two weeks of native cuban food, the restaurants were really just middle-class, they try to serve "western" food for their Canadian and European guests which only works out okay-ish quality- and tastewise
- same for the breakfast, there was plenty, but nothing really special - the juices were horrible, we believe that some were even thickened to appear like real juice while they just tasted like water
- they assign specific time slots for your dinner - which was a bit strange - and if you show up 15 min late your table will be gone - HOWEVER - 3 out of 5 nights we had to wait more than 30 minutes for our entrees

Room Tip: if you get a room on the first floor of a bungalow you'll get a fantastic view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank crobgun
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear guest,

We are very happy reading that you had a nice experience with us and you found our hotel pretty and quiet. The concept of Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, adults only hotel, is to rest and relax. Very quiet, with chiil out music, live music in restaurants...however staying in our hotel you can use all the facilities of Memories paraiso azul where you can find more activities, noise, and night life.

We hope we can see you here again,

Manager
Royalton Cayo Santa maria
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

If I have to wrap it up in a few words ,the Royalton was a place of relaxation, excellent service and staff, breathtaking beaches and amazing food!

I can't wait to return! Thank you for a lovely vacation!

Room Tip: We had room 508. It's on the second floor overlooking the ocean. Private enough that you can s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Petra E
Dear Petra E,

We will share your "few words" with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Port Perry Ontario
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I will start by saying that the hotel grounds are beautiful, rooms are beautiful, and the ocean is to die for. My husband and I went to the Royalton from July 6-13. Our first impression of the resort was lovely but I wasn't certain about the staff. I am have been to Cuba 20x times and I am use to Cuban people being overly friendly and full of hugs and kisses. This was not the case here for the first 2-3 days. They were very professional and it seemed like they didn't want to "cross that line". All that being said, on day 3 and the remaining trip, the staff really lightened up so I would relate it all to once they feel comfortable, they are over the top friendly.

A few people off hand that i would like to mention is Frank, Alberto, Daymi, Amaury, yanet and Asiel. Frank is the man. He makes the resort what it is. Very outgoing and friendly
Alberto is the best waiter EVER!
Daymi was our maid and she really took care of our room
Amaury is another waiter whose smile lights up the room
Yanet and Asiel were our butlers and they went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable

Food:
Every meal was delicious. Snack bar to Senses to Eggselense and even room service. No complaints AT ALL!

Beach:
Beautiful even though I got stung by a jellyfish. White powder sand and crystal clear waters. My only complaint would be for them to raise up the canopies as they sit really really low.

Pools:
Two pools that are very clean. Both pools are quite with the bottom pool having music and the odd activity. On our first 3 days, you weren't getting a cabana unless you played the towel game but the worst part is that hubby and I sat in the sun on a lounger and 4 Cabanas went unused for 4 hours and 45 minutes (yes we were counting). This isn't right and I would like to see management manage this a little better as on the Cabanas themselves, there is a sign that says if they go unused for an hour, your items will be removed. I never saw this and even asked the bar if we can move some belongings as they haven’t been there all day and I was told no.
The bottom pool had a lot of tiles missing and they ended up shutting the pool down on day 3 for the remainder of our stay. Yes this sucked but they have to do it at some time or another and they did compensate all guests with a free excursion

Excursions:
Plane to Havana - stunning views, a very long day with a lot of walking but worth every minute. Don't be afraid to say no to the beggars are they swarm around you all the time. This trip was worth every cent

Jeep Safari - My favorite trip out of all. We went to watch a rooster fight, went to a farm, went to a national park where we went swimming in the most amazing waters ever seen. Awesome experience. My favorite part was giving gifts of shoes, soap, toothpaste etc. to all the people in all the towns as we drove by

Speed boats - My hubby loved this one and I enjoyed it also. I ended up coming face to face with a Barracuda that had to have been over 5 feet long. We enjoyed this trip.

If I had to say anything negative I would say that the ants in the room, can be a little bit much. We didn't leave anything out that the ants would be attracted too but they were pretty bad in the bathroom and above the mini fridge. We also ran into a family emergency back home and a few messages were left for us at the front desk that didn't make its way to us. We asked management about this and he was going to look into what happened and we didn't hear anything back at all. That was a little disappointing. We also had a couple days were both yanet and Asiel were off and we had no idea who our butler was. That being said, on one of those days, we were on an excursion for the majority of the day so we wouldn't have had a chance to meet the person that day but the one day we were around, I had no clue who it was.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing vacation. It was one of the best resorts that I have ever been too in Cuba. I will be going back to this resort for sure.

TIP: Bring bug spray as it's mosquito season there from like April to October and they're BAD! This is not only this resort as it's all of Cuba during this time

Room Tip: We had room 0510 and it was right close to the beach and lower pool. Stunning ocean views and close...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tucker16
Dear Tucker,

Thank you for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and thank you for choosing our hotel in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa maria.

We have read all your review and we thank you for saying that this was one of the best resorts that you have ever been in Cuba.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This resort for us it was amazing, we were there last year end of July begining of August for 7 days and we had a wonderful relaxing time. This year we decided to go back for 10 days. It's a good place to relax , away from home and the stress life that we all have. We recommend this resort. Can wait to be there .....

Room Tip: Balcony , 2nd floor to see the view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank N V
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for trust in our company again, Royalton Luxury resorts.

We are very happy reading that you will come back to visit us!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I don't usually take the time to write reviews after a vacation. This time I decided I needed to. My fiance and I stayed at the Royalton for a week. We had heard many great things about the resort, including the romantic atmosphere, the great food and the beautiful scenery. We also heard about the great customer service from the reviews and from our Sunwing travel agent.

First of all the scenery WAS beautiful, the pools were amazing, the beach was perfect. The room was clean and nice. Our "butler", the person who organizes your dinner reservations, attends to anything you need, Diana, was exceptional!!

We have been to Cuba before and stayed in a much larger resort, of course larger resorts have a buffet, more activities and in general more to do. But these things are not the comparison that leads me to only rate this resort average. For the most part, with the exception of Diana as well as the other butlers, a few of the bell boys and the towel attendant the service was not what we had expected. The servers were at most times down right rude. It would take 2 hours to finish a lunch or a dinner because we would be forgotten about or at some time actually ignored. There were some very friendly servers but that was not the norm.

It was extremely disappointing to pay a large amount of money to go on a 5-star trip and be treated so poorly. We were always pleasant with everyone. We tipped very well. Some of waiters and waitresses we had did not even reply when we greeted them. It certainly did not help to meet the expectations of the romantic atmosphere we had heard so much about. We spent a lot of our trip wondering if it was us? Did they not like us? Did we do something wrong? And honestly that is NOT something I should have to worry about after spending a small fortune to enjoy a week of relaxation.

If you are looking for beautiful scenery, a small quiet resort and you don't care about how you are treated than I highly recommend this resort. But if you are looking to receive friendly service, I would skip the benefit of the small resort and go to a large resort where maybe the pool area is louder and there are more people but the service is certainly much friendlier.

I want to say one more time that Diana was fantastic, so were all of the staff at the front desk. The bell boys were wonderful and a few of the servers were friendly and polite.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Ashley C
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Ashley C,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for choosing our hotel in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

We are very sad reading you review because during your stay we had not any bad feedback of you, and all the comments that we had from you butler Diana were perfect.

We apologize if you didnt enjoy your stay and we would like to see you here again in order to welcome you personally and to show you the reallity of the 5 star, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
#10 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!