“Best Vacation Ever so far, by far!!!”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Laval, Canada
“Best Vacation Ever so far, by far!!!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Miguel, you run a tight ship!!! Your hotel staff is one of the best I've seen so far! But let me begin first by mentioning the areas of "improvement"
Yes, there are Mosquitos, people it's tropical HOT and HUMID weather, bring bug spray and problem solved.
Yes, there were repairs needed to be done in the pool area... It sucked, however, what better time to do this than in the low season. The poor workers were working around the clock in extreme hot weather to get it finished. The management did EVERYTHING possible to accommodate and compensate for the inconvenience. What more can we ask for right!?
The Hotel is beautiful, the grounds, the pools, the pathway to the beach... And the beach, truly paradise. Everything is just a little walk away. So convenient to get around. It's peaceful and relaxing. There is entertainment, just enough to bring some fun in the day.
2 closed- sit down Restaurants, Eggselence and Senses, both are very good. The menses are the same/rotating every day, so we have different choices everyday. Elegantly served to us, with such presentation on the plates!! Chapeau to the Chef!!
We stayed in the Cabanas... Just Awesome, for two weeks, we felt like the rich and famous!
Now the staff.... From, Romella, Dania, Andy, Rolly, Rolando, Daymi, Frank, Alina, Mario, our Butlers, Diana and Yoldi.... To the Gardners, the maids, the many others that greeted us we pleasantry and willingness to please us every single day! It shocked us every day!
We did the Trinidad excursion ... Wonderful experience! Beautiful town and beautiful people! We recommend you ask for.a private cab tour, ask for Michel... Recommended by our Butler Diana!
Then we did a catamaran, snorkeling and the dolphins! Wonderful day as well!
To summarize.. We we totally impressed by everything and especially the management staff, Miguel and Mathieu.. Always present and hands on everything! Always checking on the guests to ensure that everyone is truly satisfied and if they are not, they will bend over backwards to make them happy! Top that with elegant accommodations and a paradise of a beach... The vacation was EPIC!!
Thank you! Gracias, Grazie .. MERCI to All...we will definitely come back!! Gina and Alex!!!
I will be adding pictures very soon.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a Cabana with jacuzzi!! Beautiful and spacious and close to everything,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank LaFamiglia_10
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Gina and Alex

Thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

What a nice review of our hotel! We are very happy reading that you has the best vacation ever with us and you found our staff the best that you have seen. Thank you!!

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Having travelled around Cuba for 11 days checked into this hotel for R + R. On a typical day you arrive at breakfast and are handed an extensive menu of cooked food from which virtually nothing is available. No bacon or porridge was available during my stay. Sausages (not very nice) also disappeared after three days. I felt very sorry for the waiting staff who had to apologize for the lack of availability whilst being very pleasant and trying to earn some desperately needed tips. I helped myself to a plate from a pile and having selected some fruit from the buffet returned to my table only to notice some waste food was still clinging to the plate. I was sure to check very carefully thereafter and swapped plates on several occasions.
Table cloths and serviettes were clearly unwashed with bits of food and detritus stuck to them. I would never have put them anywhere near my mouth.

After breakfast down to the pool. When you are up at 7.30 NO CHANCE of a shaded "double bed". There are lounges usually available but no shade or umbrellas. The beach was beautiful white sand and crystal clear water. Plenty of shade available. Drinks and snacks brought to you by very willing staff. The best food (by way of an extremely low benchmark) was lunch at the Sunset snack bar. Burgers, fried chicken and even a passable spag bol.

There is a cabin where used beach towels can be exchanged for "clean" ones. I noticed the "clean" towel I was given was blood stained and when trying to exchange it for another "clean" one I had to go through three towels by which time the attendant was getting very irritable. I suspect from the appearance and smell of the towels thay were "recycled" rather than laundered.

Supper was an unceremonious affair with a very limited menu, most of which was only rendered edible after the copious consumption of rum in the delightful piano bar served by a charming waiter named Eduardo. I had lobster on several occasions which was dry, tasteless and resembling shoe leather.

On the evening of my arrival I was "sent" to the Sunset bar for dinner. I arrived at 7.30 (sunset) and was savaged by swarms of mosquitos on every inch of exposed flesh. After 20 minutes, both hands covered in blood from wiping swathes of mosquitos off my arms, I fled to my room to recover. The bites plus many more acquired during my stay did not abate. I have NEVER seen mosquitos attacking in bright sunshine at midday. I was slapped around the head by numerous kind strangers whilst standing in queues for lunch, dinner, etc. trying to protect me from mosies.

In short were this hotel in Europe it would be either shut down or carry ONE STAR!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
48 Thank Barrywestlondon
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Barry Marsh,

First of all we are very sad because of your bad experience with us, and of course we want to apologize you for all the inconvenices you mentioned in your review.

We have shared all your comments with all the staff and management of Royalton Cayo Santa maria, and it is a real pitty we couldnt talk about this during your stay in order to take corrective actions right away.

Every day we have a feedback of all our guest from our butler service and we have checked this from your stay with us. The first day we offered you a free room upgrade consisting in a Cabaña (Small house with Whirpool tub inside at the most relaxing and luxury area of the hotel). By the other hand,it is true than the 1st night you had the reservation at the Sunset opened air restaurant, however as soon as you requested to change your reservation we did it inmediatelly.

We are sorry but our management is all the time on site talking with all the guest and we had not any bad feedback from you concerning your stay with us.

We would like to see you here again in order to show you the reallity of our 5 star hotel, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

Manager
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I'm a little late on the review here (by 7 months, but who's counting) and I have to say, this resort was spectacular.

My husband and I went at Christmas 2013 and we booked our room, not realizing that what we actually booked was an entire two-storey house all to ourselves. With a Jacuzzi. Oh, boy, it was amazing and beautiful! Worth the extra cost! There were many traditional two-storey buildings dotted around the resort with rooms which I'm sure had lovely rooms too, but boy, did we luck out.

It's a small resort, no kids allowed and it is QUIET. This place doesn't play that BOOM-BOOM-DA-BOOM-BADA-BOOM-BOOM-THUD-THUD stuff with the questionable lyrics all day, all around the pool and well into the wee hours. Instead, you get hours and hours of soft music that was recorded on one of those Bontempi organs you heard way too much of in the 1970s in elevators. The nightly entertainment's music was well done with professional musicians and entertainers but that music is generally the pace you'll get. Hearing the The Girl From Ipanema once is too many times and I heard it a few times that week. I loved it though, but my husband preferred a little more liveliness to his tunes. That's what iPods are for.

The food is all a la carte and the service was always excellent. I wish I could remember the names of some of the serving staff but I can say for sure they were all genuine and very customer service-oriented. I hankered for a buffet a couple of times because I wasn't always keen on sticking to a specific time for our sit-down dinners with very specific menus (breakfast and lunch are loose and you aren't assigned times) and luckily at the Royalton, you have free access as well to the neighbouring Azul resort next door if you do feel like overdoing the food. It's a pleasant stroll down the lane, if you need to fulfill that great North American ritual, the massive buffet. Remember - the Royalton is a resort like all the others and the food is never great but it's not terrible and you won't go hungry. If you like shellfish, you can really indulge in the fresh lobster and never go wrong.

There are two small pools, beautiful and clean but the shade around them is very, very limited. There are large bed-type canopies you can see in the photos planted around the pools but I would avoid them. They smell sour and horrible like those stinky old rags lying too long in sinks and I did not want to smell like one of those. Go to the beach - it's gorgeous. You can sit at a pool anywhere, anytime so don't waste your time at the pool if you're in Cuba.

Lobby bar is elegant with amazing musicians but we found it to be very quiet. If you like a happening lobby bar night scene, this is not it - it's worth hopping next door to Azul for a bit of that if you need it. But for a delicious coffee in the morning with some of those killer Cuban fresh-baked cookies, it's perfect. (BTW, don't order their version of the Caesar - it will never match a good Canadian Caesar made with Clamato.)

The assigned butler for our stay was Ariel. He was a great guy and was always pleased to accommodate our wishes, even arranging a delicious lobster dinner in our little dining room one night.

My husband likes to try a new resort every time we go away but he said this was one he'd go to again and I have to agree.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 911ImOnFire
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear guest,

We are working hard every day offering our best to all the guest, and we appreciate how you rate our hotel with the word: "Spectacular" Thank you!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Outstanding resort. People were out of this world, so friendly and genuine. All the little extra touches take it over the top. My hope is that it stays as quiet and restful for many years to come. Looking forward to our next visit in 2015.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank lailasmypuppy
Miguel D, Gerente at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 18 July 2014

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This review is way over due, since we went back in April, but it's not for lack of love just, procrastination. We have booked our second trip for next year already, so I think that says it all! We cannot say enough for the staff! Jidiel and Diamy were always great with the drinks and Greg never had a rum special from Diamy that was the same! Alex made the best royalton coffees! I recieved a wonderful note from Daria on our last day! Our housemaid Dayami never ceased to surprise me with her art work, i don't think i saw the same thing twice in the two weeks we were there.We had two butlers Anna and Alex, i feel this service should be called concierge! It felt like family! We saw the two managers Miguel and Mateus numerous times a day and they always inquired how things were and if there was anything they could do! Everyone made us feel like this was our home!
There is plenty to do we just chose to enjoy the ocean and the pool! Yes it is a quieter resort, so keep that in mind if, all you want to do is party! If you bring a three litre drinking jug(a little ridiculous if you ask me) than be prepared to wait and not be rude to the staff because of your inconsideration! There are other guests! I was very impressed when both Miguel and Mateus helped at the restaurant when we had an influx of guests arriving at the resort on their first day!
The grounds were beautiful and the view from our balcony was out of this world, we could even see the ocean from our shower! We hope to have the same room(610) next year as we did this year!

Do I have anything bad to say not really, the only disappointment i had was that we didn't get a bath run on our last evening, but that's a minor blip. The ambiance would have been nice! We'd heard from other guests who'd had this done for them. All in all, we loved it and have found a second home in Cuba! We hope to return to visit their sister resort at Royal Hicacos when the dust has settled.

Thank you to Miguel, Mateus and all of the staff for making our stay such an enjoyable and wonderful one! We can't wait to see you next year!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view its worth it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chantal D
Dear Chantal D,

Thank you so much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our hotel in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

It is fantastic to see how much you enjoyed your vacation with us and you have already booked your next trip with us next year. Wow!!

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 17 July 2014

After 16 days on the road traveling across Cuba we spent 5 nights in the Royalton. If you're looking for a very quiet place to relax with a beautiful beach, this is your spot.

BUT, as a fair warning, we're in our early thirties and we were bored after the first day. There is literally NOTHING to do there (beside 30minutes of beach volleyball every morning). Bring a few books!

Things we liked:
- very friendly personnel, big shout out to our Butler Lester who really did an amazing job!
- very close to a very clean beach with enough sun loungers
- clean rooms (another shoutout to the maids, super friendly, super fast)
- the Café actually serves decent coffee (and they have a few well picked Scotches)
- no kids!

Things we didn't like (only about the restaurants really):
- after two weeks of native cuban food, the restaurants were really just middle-class, they try to serve "western" food for their Canadian and European guests which only works out okay-ish quality- and tastewise
- same for the breakfast, there was plenty, but nothing really special - the juices were horrible, we believe that some were even thickened to appear like real juice while they just tasted like water
- they assign specific time slots for your dinner - which was a bit strange - and if you show up 15 min late your table will be gone - HOWEVER - 3 out of 5 nights we had to wait more than 30 minutes for our entrees

Room Tip: if you get a room on the first floor of a bungalow you'll get a fantastic view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank crobgun
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear guest,

We are very happy reading that you had a nice experience with us and you found our hotel pretty and quiet. The concept of Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, adults only hotel, is to rest and relax. Very quiet, with chiil out music, live music in restaurants...however staying in our hotel you can use all the facilities of Memories paraiso azul where you can find more activities, noise, and night life.

We hope we can see you here again,

Manager
Royalton Cayo Santa maria
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

If I have to wrap it up in a few words ,the Royalton was a place of relaxation, excellent service and staff, breathtaking beaches and amazing food!

I can't wait to return! Thank you for a lovely vacation!

Room Tip: We had room 508. It's on the second floor overlooking the ocean. Private enough that you can s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Petra E
Dear Petra E,

We will share your "few words" with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
#10 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#1 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!