“Wow!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Ontario, Canada
“Wow!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Visited this resort in July 2014 as a couple. We were in a 2nd floor room in building 14, and were close to everything. Room was modern, had a daily stocked mini fridge, balcony facing the ocean, and powerful AC.

The resort was at less than 30% capacity on our stay, and this was great for us as we got the amenities of a huge newer resort, but with a much quieter atmosphere. Best of all we found that staff service was not lacking despite it being their slow season! The staff took care to make drinks well, serve you with a smile, and chatted with visitors.

Some things I wanted to share:

- Food was alright, nobody will go hungry as there are plenty of options daily,
- We got 2 restaurant reservations upon arrival, both (Creole and Mediterranean) were good,
- They have a great bar selection, and have menus in different languages out at the bar,
- Rooms on the 3rd floor had balconies with lattices that only provide partial shade, 2nd floor balconies offers full shaded cover though,
- The room & beach towels we got looked worn, like they’d seen better days.
- Resort sprayed insecticide every evening around 8 pm, but its best to bring some extra bug spray from home,
- Bus transfer from Santa Clara airport to the resorts is roughly 2 hours. Keep this in mind if you are looking at booking late/ early flights,
- There’s a hop on-hop off bus like in other tourist areas. Cost is 1 CUC every time u get on,
- Off-resort there’s: two ‘Pueblo’ shopping areas & a dolphinarium (5 CUC for admission, shows at: 10:30am and 4:00pm),
- And the best part…. The BEACH! This resort had the best beach!! Simply amazing: Hardly anyone there, plenty of shade, very nice sand on shore and in water, not too shallow or deep, lots of fish to see if you like snorkelling on the beach, and some interesting shells along the edge of the water… without a doubt this beach is the best part of the resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank OC87
Sylvain L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel.
It is also a pleasure to know that our facilities would and that the service offered by us has been to their liking.
We continue to work to improve on the big and small details to make the stay of our guests unforgettable.
Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have been in Cuba,Mexico and Dominican Republic many times,
the eurostar hotel has excellent beach clean and modern hotels,I AM NOT A PICKY EATER BUT BELIEVE ME THE FOOD IN THIS HOTEL BY FAR THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN , I WAS TEACHING THE COOK IN THE BEACH GRILL HOW TO COOK THE CHICKEN,even the cook in the buffet did not how to grill pork,chicken and steak ,Honestly the workers tried their best but never had any training the MANAGEMENT LACKS CUSTOMER SERVICE ,over all we enjoyed our vacation,but would i go back? the answer is NO,I expect that this hotel will be sold to different company within one year.

Room Tip: building 12&14.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank pilot403
Sylvain L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Customer.
We greatly appreciate your comments, even surprised us a lot.
Our cook at the beach wearing a year working with us and has received many positive reviews of their work on this page.
In the same way, and although we are a young team workers, we have the enough experience to provide good food service throughout the hotel, trying to improve every day.
We're glad you enjoyed your vacation.
Your comments will help us improve.
It is our desire to remain for many years bringing the management of Eurostars Hotel Cayo Santa Maria
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

so I went back to Eurostar, Cayo Santa Maria; (beginning of April) along with my husband and a goup of friends; as I raved how excellent the place was back in november!
well, to my BIG disappointment; and felt very bad for everyone; it was horrible!
one thing we could not understand is in a 4 -4 1/2 star hotel; at the buffet; when there is food that is finished; why was it not replenished immediately!!! you would go back 20 minutes later; and still nothing! people were reserving chairs on the beach from the day before! never have we seen this in all our years that we have been to Cuba; and we have travelled every year. even around the pool area! drink were ok, having the disco closed?! to go to town that the bus would pick you up only around 11:15 if you are lucky! but then they decided to open the club around the end of the week; around midnight!! who is going to go??!! one time; we put the towels on the floor to have them replaced; they just put them back up on the hanger! and we do not leave them on the floor every day?! we had a few problems; when we went to the desk; it was the run around; "I have to speak to my boss, come back later" like we say they like to pass the buck to someone else!
the food in the restaurants at least were still excellent, with the service! service at the buffet was not the greatest!
my husband and I were at the total opposite end of the complex; for some reason the rest of the group were placed all in the same complex; when we asked to change! OMG, they just discouraged you to stay in place! and I spoke with the same person I met in November where they said that they would take good care of us if we were to come back.
but there were also some people that I saw again; and was nice how they were happy to see me again!
I'll leave it at that.... the entertainment was excellent!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank marisasteph
Dear customer.:
We are really disappointed that your review of your last vacation at our hotel was negative, especially when it comes to a customer who has repeated his stay at our hotel.
It is true that in April we had some problems we tried to solve urgently and this has helped us to work in the future.
We continue to make changes that we hope will improve our services and facilities.
We appreciate your comments and hope to come back to our hotel to check we made many efforts to increase customer satisfaction.
Anyway, thanks again for choosing our property.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My boyfriend and I went to this hotel from June 20-27 2017 and had an amazing time. This is the low season for Cuba and the hotel was only at 10% capacity. It was great!
We were often times the only people in the ocean and there was never a line up for any restaurant or a la carte. The best this about this trip was the water. It was a white powder beach with turquoise water and fish swimming around your feet. The beach was spectacular. If you get up at 6am and the water is calm, you can see dolphins jumping further out in the ocean. Definitely worth the early wake up call.
The second best thing about this trip was the room. It was brand new, spotless and had a very efficient air conditioner. There was no dampness or musty smell.
The Cuban people are really friendly. The put up with my poor spanish speaking and are always helpful and friendly. We had the best waiter in the restaurant every morning named Yandry. He remembered our orders every day and took the time to chat with us. He was definitely the hardest worker in the restaurant.
The food has improved since the last time I was in Cuba. I was expecting everything to be bland and generic but instead there were some really great dishes. The pizza was always delcious as well as the pasta station and the salad bar was great. The pork is better than the beef there but the food was better than I thought it would be. The a la cartes were really delicious and worth the time.
The drinks were delicious. The best bartender is down by the beach named Alya. She can shake up anything you want.
My boyfriend and I would play beach volleyball in the mornings which was hosted by Carlos and Daniel from the animation team. They were really patient and fun and did a great job making sure everyone was having fun on the beach.
This was an amazing trip for the value we paid ($570 each). We recently got back from Jamaica that cost us triple that and this trip was much better.
We went out on the speed boat excursion which was AWESOME. It only cost $29 and we got to take out individual speed boats for an hour as well as take a catamaran out and snorkel for an hour. As I already mentioned, the value was incredible.
My boyfriend and I can't wait to return next year in the low season and take advantage of all the hotel has to offer. What a great trip! Thanks to all the staff for making it so amazing :)

Room Tip: Bungalow 14 was right by the beach access and lunch buffet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rheanna r
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is our second trip to Eurostars. The reason we came back is that we love hotel grounds, layout and very nicely designed and decorated rooms. We know that all the beaches on Cayo Santa Maria are beautiful. Our major issue on our previous trip was food. This resort has significantly improved in this area. The buffet restaurant is now much better. The variety of different foods is now exceeding what i would call "Cuban Standards". Cleanness and service at the restaurants is amazing. Management is always present in all restaurants and this helps quite a bit. Food trays are replaced regularly and there is a lots of stress on food safety. For example, at the beach restaurant there is no ice cream for self-serve, you need to ask the waiter to bring it to you since it is kept in the freezer inside the restaurant building.

2. Beach: enough chairs, enough shade and great entertainment. The ocean was as warm as the air. The beach bar was excellent. Service was always with the smile

3. Lobby bar: service and the variety of drinks was excellent. Mojitos are the best. Staff polite and helpful.

4. Reception: very helpful and efficient

5. Suite: it is worth paying more for it. Comparing to JR Suite you get all double. Two rooms, two bathrooms, two TVs, lots of storage

Overal this was a great and relaxing experience. We would not hesitate to come back to Eurostars.

Room Tip: Suite as the way to go. Much bette value than Jr.Suite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Srdjan S
Sylvain L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel.
We hope to see you among us in the future (again)
Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We (myself, son and daughter in law) just returned from spending a week at this resort, June 21st - 28th 2014
We had a really great time, we booked the 1 bedroom suite, with being 3 of us, it was a great choice as we had our own space, it had a full separate bedroom, a living room (where I had a roll away bed) one full bathroom and one 2 piece bathroom, also a full comfortable living area and 2 balconies, we were on the 3rd floor overlooking the beautiful ocean, we were in block 11 which was a great location, central for the lobby and close to the beach and pools.
We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, except for one girl who sat at the front at the little 'help' desk, she was actually quite rude to us. We understood with having a suite we were supposed to get robes, when we asked her about it, she looked at us like we had asked for something outrageous and told us that no we didn't get any, also when I asked for 2 blankets to be sent to the room to put on top of the mattress on the cot, as it was very thin, she told me I could only have one.
The ocean and the beach are wonderful. I know it was off season and the hotel was not running with a full compliment of staff,but they do need to have someone on the beach cleaning up cigarette buts and used cups etc. The hotel was only about 15% occupancy, no line ups and great attention.
The food had quite a variety, you certainly don't go hungry, you just have to remember that it is Cuba!
The hotel was very clean, also the grounds, lots of mosquitos though.
I would definately return to this resort.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, (as long as you are OK with stairs)ocean front, in buildings 11, 12 and 14 are great loca...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Miste2013
Sylvain L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Customer.:
We greatly appreciate your comments on this website.
We are happy to know you enjoyed your vacation fully.
The satisfaction of our customers is our primary commitment.
We note things we need to improve.
We hope to see you soon for our Eurostars Cayo Santa Maria.
Thanks again for your help.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have been to 5 all inclusives in Cuba and this one was by far the best.
The staff was very friendly and always available and quick.
The food was the best I've had at a resort.
The beach was fabulous!!!
The grounds and pools were beautiful. The rooms modern, clean and well taken care of. The bar was always stocked. The nightly entertainment was very good.
All and all, I thought it was fantastic.

However, things people should know: It is low season so some things were not open (the pool with the swim up bar, the tennis lessons, pool scuba etc) but honestly, there is no one else there so it really didn't matter at all.
Also, mosquitos.. lots of them. If you are going at this time of year, bring lots of bug spray. We were also concerned before we left about the weather as it said it would rain every day.. it didn't rain once during the day. Apparently tends to storm quickly overnight and that's it!

Room Tip: we stayed in the cheepest rooms (garden view) and was still very nice. Overlooked the pool and was v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alilml
Sylvain L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, 25 June 2014