“Nice place ”

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
“Nice place ”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

While we stayed there we were in number 21 which is an ideal spot because you are close to the beach it's a shorty walk from the pool to. The A la cartes was nice and the buffet was good. The shows were very good and entertaining and the cleanliness of the rooms is good though there are a lot of mousquitos and we found 2 small lizards in our room.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Dani S
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Dani S:

Thank You Very Much for your great review, I am very happy to see that you had such a great vacation with us, I hope I can see you in a near future!!

Manuel Rios

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We visited Melia for a week with a group of about 40 people for my cousins wedding. I don't have horrible things to say about this resort but it definitely wasn't for me nor will I be returning. This was our (my husband & I) third time visiting Cuba but our first to Cayo Santa Maria.

The drive from the airport to the resort was indeed long but was pretty amazing. It was great to drive through the little cities and really get a view of Cuba.

The resort itself was HUGE.. way to big for my liking. I at the time of travel was 14 weeks pregnant and was already a little exhausted just from that. But the walking you had to do to get ANYWHERE on this resort was horrible. And although I was the only pregnant person on the trip I was far from the only one complaining about the lay out of this resort. The grounds were beautifully kept by the staff and I never saw a piece of litter or cigarette butt or anything left around.

There was plenty of food at the resort but it was decent at best. I found the food MUCH better during my previous travels in Cuba. I have never complained about food at a resort before because I'm the furthest from a picky eater but I found the food here sub-par at best. I found trying the food at some of the A-La-Cartes much better then heading to the buffet.

The rooms again we're not great and usually FAR from anything else at the resort. We upgraded to an ocean view which was definitely not worth the money. The little bit of ocean you DO get to see from the room is much more beautiful up close from the beach. Save your money and head down to the beach for a view! I understand the problem of lizards and bugs in the room a bit uncontrollable but it was crazy the amount of dead cockroaches we had killed after a day and the amount of lizards we'd chase from the room every night before bed. The cleaning done daily was far from good.. we would come back after supper to see the same pile of dead bugs from the day before still on the ground. I believe all the maids really did was make your bed and re-stock what little items they give you.

One amazing thing about this resort is the beach! You can't beat it.. it was GORGEOUS.. and the water was amazing.

I wouldn't not recommend this resort to people who may not mind the LONG distance walking between EVERYTHING but I will definitely not be returning. I will definitely go back to Cuba but will not return to Cayo Santa Maria.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alayna-Beth H
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Alayna-Beth H:

On behalf of all our staff we take this opportunity to thank you for your comments about your stay with us. However, we feel sorry that our hotel was not up to your expectation.

We are so worried to know that you found our buffet in a low standard, we are always trying to improve this service and now I can let you know that we are introducing several changes in our food variety and decoration. Due to that we are receiving very good comments from our guests…

Speaking about insects, please take into account that we are just in the middle of a virgin landscape, it is so difficult to eradicate this situation even when we have a stricter control in our rooms and main areas.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Me and my fiance stayed at this hotel beginning of May, 2014. The ride to the hotel was long but not too bad. It was nice seeing all of scenery and little towns we passed on the way.

Check-in/Money Exchange
The check-in process was good. Although we were both very hungry, we survived the check-in and were on our way to our rooms with our luggage. Note to first time travelers to Cuba: get your money exchanged at the airport. This hotel has a bank, however we heard that they exchange at a slightly higher rate. Don't even bother exchanging your money at the front desk, they will rip you off.
Hotel/Service
The hotel is enormous. We got lost, coming home to our room on the first night. Be prepared to remember where you came from or at least your room number so the cart can take you there. The grounds of the hotel are beautifully kept. The cleaning ladies are excellent. Bartenders are good at keeping up with your drinks. The beach is absolutley amazing. We enjoyed some great time in those waves. TIP: Bring LOTS of sunscreen and bug spray.

Food Quality
The food wasn't too bad, however it was hard to go at different times as I noticed that the food was getting cold in the buffet areas. Breakfasts were awesome. Lots of fresh juices, fruit, pancake stations, omelet stations. If we didn't do a la cart that evening, we went to the buffet and went straight to the fish stations - those were prepared fresh and very well done. However I wasn't too excited about other things such as rice or pasta. We ate fairly well and still managed to loose weight, which isn't so bad.

Entertainment
The night entertainment was good for families, however we found ourselves getting slightly bored on our 3-4 night there. There is disco, which is open after 9 and the music is good, but that was about it. Lets just say that this wasn't the most craziest resort we went to for partying.

Conclusion
This resort would be suitable for those staying as a couple, looking to relax and just enjoy some piece/quietness or as multiple couples/friends who will always find something to do together.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the view and all. We kept our curtains down to keep the sunlight away. Ask for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Olga604
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Olga 604:

We have been honored with your presence at Melia Las Dunas and we heartily hope this recent visit will not be the last one. I´m completely sure that the next ones will be even greater and you will enjoy more our services and offer.

See you soon!

Toronto
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hola a todos!
I noticed that I wrote this text but never posted this about my vacation (which was 2 years ago) so this is a little late, but I wanted to put this up anyways because I've heard some great things about Las Dunas from friends who recently traveled and wanted to add to their stories:

(Tuve una tan grande oportunidad a practicar mi espanol en Melia con todos, pero no quiero escribir en espanol aqui para que todos pueden leer :)) We had an amazing time at las dunas. Although we ran into a bit of hassles at the very beginning, it all smoothed out later. The best about the place were no doubt the people, but i'll make sure to mention them later in the text.

The rooms were very clean and well kept, they were always restocked on time and the personnel was always more than willing to help should there be a problem (we got a pretty intense sunburn and asked for another sheet and the girls were really helpful). In other words - rooms were great.

The restaurants and the main hall always had very good food (although we really would have loved more fruits!) but other than that we were very happy. The fish chef was amazing - he always made the very best meals and we were in line to see him at every dinner. The buffet was always very neat and we were absolutely loved the freshly squeezed juices every morning (with guava and stuff) mmmmm. Our waitress every morning, Yolanta, was the most cheerful young girl and a complete pleasure to chat to. She was always happy to see us (and everyone) and we always made sure to sit in her corner.
For lunch we loved the pizzeria and all the staff there were absolutely fantastic. Personal compliments to the chef - never have I tasted pizza after pizza that were soo soo soo good :) We loved going to the lobby bar for coffee and iced cappuccino's - if you're there, make sure you have the coffee at the bars because it is unbelievably delicious, best quality :)

Our favorite gardener was Alexander - his piece looked so well kept and it was the best place to take a picture - he's a true artist!

What I enjoyed more than anything were classes of self defence and yoga by the pool with Alberto! He was such an amazing and professional teacher that I came back and started doing yoga myself! He was extremely patient and really knew his work well - you won't find a teacher like him anywhere else so make sure to take advantage of his classes.

I hope that all the people mentioned above still work at the hotel and are prized there because many times it is not the place but the people that really make one want to come back to the same resort. They are all top class in service and hospitality business (and please pass on a big hello to them from Alessia even though today the probably wouldn't remember me:))

Don't hesitate to choose this place! Whenever I have the chance to travel again, I will make sure to visit Melia again!

P.S. I loved the cats and was ready to take them all home - I even made friends with one who would always wait by my street <3

Room Tip: They're all good but really wish we had got the ocean view room - the view must have been unbeli...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear 18 alexandra:

We really appreciate your having taken the time to post this review describing in details how it felt to stay at our resort.

We thank your honesty and we feel very proud to acknowledge you look so glad about having spent your holiday with us.

Our potential travelers will certainly be helped from all your comments and recommendations and we very much appreciate the good advertisement you are making for us.

For sure that we will share this review with all people you are referring us.Do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit…

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

a perfect getaway place... if you want everything provided for your overall experience this is the place. From the General Manager to the gardeners all were there to make your stay a memorable one. Some of the most pleasant people we have met in our travels.
Excellent service, clean and well maintained rooms, incredible food and lots of it... the a la carte restaurants very good. Pool and support personnel great.
We stayed in a main floor room, excellent, but next time would choose an upper floor.

It is a bit of travel from the airport (90 minutes) but well worth the scenery and introduction to Cuba.

Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so special... Eric and Geraldine

Room Tip: All rooms would seem to be top class but the ones closer to the centre of the complex may be worth w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank roisin41
Cher roisin 41:

Thank you very much for considering Melia as your vacation company, that make me real proud of the service ant most specially of the staff that provide it here in Las Dunas!!

Thank you very much for your great review and comments!!!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My rating is 3 1/2 out of 5

Traveled with Sunwing- no complaints, its was worth the extra for Elite Premium Plus. I would recommend the pre-booking of seats it makes it easier with family traveling and extra weight.

Travel Time-1 1/2 hour bus ride, the Sunwing reps(Augusto and Gianco) made the ride interesting with the information and history of Cuba and tidbits of information of the different areas going to the Hotel. Augusto at one point stopped the bus to pick up a crab and showed everyone which made it fun for the kids. thank you. Also were taken through the inner street streets to see what Cuba is like to the airport. Its an eye opener.

Beach-amazing worth every Cuban peso, unbelievable, crystal clear. The weather was a big factor because there was no wind, it didn't rain. If its going to rain, the waves pick up. So hope for fantastic weather. Recommend to wear a shirt if you are going to be in the water for a long period of time, you will burn no matter what suntan lotion you have. anything above 25 degrees will make you red like a tomato, make sure your kids were a shirt and a hat and sunglasses.

Staff- waiters, housekeeping, front desk, grounds keepers. Love the people, very appreciative of you the tourist because if no one goes to the resort they would not be working. Also just like where you live if the service is good, tip or do what my wife did (fantastic idea) and make a gift package like you do at kids birthday parties but with soaps, shavers, deodorant (dollar store purchases). My wife did little packages for men, women and kids, they loved it and were very thankful. So you don't always have to give pesos. Staff are not pushy for the tip, they will serve you the same most of the time.

The food at the buffet was good you are not going to starve. The meats were good it was not an issue, there are numerous selections whether you are doing meat or fish (its Cuba people, don't except a 8 or 12 oz New Yorker). The restaurants are not to get premium food but a time to enjoy with your family and friends and be served and have a conversation and eat at the same time. Do not expect fine dining its just a place to be away from the buffet craziness and searching for food and what you want to eat. Dress appropriately, you wouldn't go to a sit down restaurant with swim wear or as if you were walking around. Recommend, bring KETCHUP and MAPLE SYRUP if you have kids.

The rooms were OK, the AC needs to be all the time because the amount of humidity that CUBA has the rooms if they are not used are going to smell its natural because they are not being ventilated. The bedsheets, the pillows, they are not going to smell like they came out of the laundry at home so don't expect it. Plus the bedsheets were they are stored is not properly ventilated so you have to be understanding. The rooms were fine, the bathrooms were clean, the housekeeping staff do their job to make your stay comfortable in your room. the beverage guy comes every day to stock up and if you need more ask, they are good. Recommend bring your own pillow cases and bed sheets and then have the maid just clean the bathroom and sweep the floor.

The Buffet- as I Indicated there is plenty of food but the only issue that they had was plates. Did not have the capacity to deal with the amount of people because there were numerous days that you weren't searching for food and what to eat but where you were going to put it on. interesting dilemma.

Now if you don't want to eat at the Buffet, eat at the Reservation restaurants, if you don't want to eat there the gem of the place is the Beer garden where the flat screen TV's are, 24HRS for food and drinks. The staff are very good there also, its a popular place for Lunch so you need to time it if you are more than 4.

The biggest problem was the shutting off of the water, no showers, no bath, no toilet flushing, NADA!!!. It happened a few times but from what I understand this is not the first time in this resort. Its also happened last week. Not sure what was the reason but for the amount of people 3 times in a week, this is not acceptable, 1 time for about 18 hours, from 2pm to the next day at about 8am (not good at all). As a vacationer things happens but this is not acceptable have a back up plan. have been to Cuba 5 times and this is the first.

The person who responds to my review take my advice 1) make sure you don't have water issues or indicate to the clientele truthfully of whats happening instead of your staff indicating up in 2 hours, up in 2 hrs and 10 hours have passed. We are understanding but are not appreciative of a cover up. 2) get more plates or get more staff to be prepared based on the number of people, if this was 50-60% capacity, I wonder what happens when you are full.

Overall if I go back to Cuba, I would try another resort but would definitely go back to Santa Maria even with the drive to the resort, for the beach its the best so far.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GEOfromTO
Dear GEOfromTO:

First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen our resort as the destination for your vacation and for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us.

We are extremely concerned to learn of your disappointing experience during your stay and would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced.

Unfortunately, all Cayo Santa Maria faced an specific situation with water provision during your stay and it was impossible to keep the service 24 h.

We would like to assure you that we are aware of the importance of listening to the voice of our customers. We will do our utmost to improve these matters which are totally under our standards.

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel was absolutely amazing. We stayed in May for 8 nights and all the staff were really friendly and welcoming. The service is fast and the bartenders (especially at the pool bar) do everything they can to ensure you are having a great time! The food was delicious and there were lots of seafood and pork options. The beach is absolutely breath taking although it is not the kind of beach you can really snorkel off of. We did the catamaran day trip with dolphins which was worth every penny! We even saw a sea horse! There was ALWAYS tons of entertainment at the hotel whether it be live music, shows, dancing, water activities, etc. we were never bored! We never had any problems finding chairs at the pool.

If you're going to bring gifts from home to give to the hotel staff all the bar tenders really appreciated chocolate bars that other tourists were bringing them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Mr. Arodger1:
First at all thanks a lot for take the time to post a review on tripadvisor, and describe so well the beauty this place and the places around and the wonders of this privileged paradise, not only our bartenders all our staff is hard worker and gentile, we are very happy with all of them, your comments will help a lot of costumers at the time to pick up a destiny, we’ll be very happy if you decide to share with us another vacations.
Best Regards