“Bad service, be careful of being ripped off”

Toyako Manseikaku Hotel Lakeside Terrace
Hong Kong, China
“Bad service, be careful of being ripped off”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Stay away from TOYAKO MANSEIKAKU HOTEL. This is a con hotel, offer you room of lower grading than the one you booked.

When I checked in, I was offered a room at the west wing which is old and smelly. The view was blocked by the tree and hardly any lake view at all. It was so bad that I asked to change the room. I was then assigned to another room, Japanese style on the east wing. Not something I wanted but better than the first room and so we stayed.

After dinner, my friend and I walked along the lake and my friend pointed at the main building of the hotel and said 'It would be nice to stay at those rooms as you can open the window and have good view. All of a sudden, I remembered that I actually booked a lake view room western style at the main building. I went to the reception and told them I booked a room at the main building but they denied. I had to go back to my room and found my confirmation so that they could not deny any more. I was then offered a room at the main building which I went to have a look which was far better than the one I stayed. As it was nine in the evening and we had to leave early, I decided to stay where we were and asked for a refund. The reception told me as I booked through Rakuten, I could only get the refund from them.

When I was back I sent email to Rakuten. They replied that the hotel claimed the room I stayed was more expensive than the one I booked. After a few exchange of emails, they just dropped me and asked me to contact the hotel directly. Rakuten told me that the hotel felt sorry about the mistake and would sent me email to apologise. It's more than one month and I still have not heard from the hotel at all. I don't see how sincere they are for the mistakes they made.

I was upset about this as I should not be offered a room of lower grade at the beginning, this is cheating and ripping off of customers. The room at west wing is cheaper than those in the main buidling. This should never happened unless Rakuten booked me the wrong room or the hotel intended to cheat. What I found furious was that the hotel told me to contact Rakuten for refund and then Rakuten told me to contact the hotel directly for refund. I feel like a fool shuffled by the hotel and Rakuten. I have the feeling that they have some kind of collusion going on.

If you want to enjoy your holiday and not be cheated, do not stay at the TOYAKO MANSEIKAKU HOTEL and do not book through the the Rakuten.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FrankieHongKong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Even though the entry and lobby area were not grand looking, cramp and unattractive, the rooms were different. The newly renovated western room that we managed to stay were nice, cosy and clean. The food at the restaurant were of a good spread and we could not stop ourselves from eating all the nice spread for breakfast and dinner. The onsen were also very nice. The staff at the hotel were helpful and went all the way out to help us.

I feel that the hotel is not well staffed with staff that speaks english. Lake Toya is a major stopover for most tourists to Hokkaido, as such, there should be a couple of staff that can speak english. In fact, I find that there are few people in Lake Toya that speak english as compared to my experience in Furano, Sapporo and Otaru that I visited during my trip.

Prior to arriving at this hotel, I have tried calling twice to confirm my reservations. However, it was of no use as both times there is no one that I can converse with in english. Hence, I tried to send translated email in japanese, but it was also met with slow response. I was happy that when I finally got a confirmation before leaving for the trip, but the real shock came when I arrived for check in.

We were informed that the hotel have overbooked and we cannot stay at the hotel for the whole 3 days. The staff tried their best to explain and make up to us, hence, we accepted the alternative arrangement to stay at the hotel next door (which was horrible!) for 2 nights. Due to this bad situation, we were inconvenient as we ended up moving hotel for 3 nights instead of our intention to stay put at one hotel for 3 nights.

The hotel should seriously look into improving the staff ability to speak english and also its' reservation system. How can a situation of overbooking happen when I booked my hotel in April for stay in Jun? Hence, I can only think that an easy solution is to push my business away so that they can cater to tour groups, where bigger sum of money is at stake.

Despite all these hiccups, I am still grateful and appreciate my stay as the staff at the hotel has helped to make the bad situation a little better. I would still recommend this hotel, but do check that your reservation is secured to avoid going through my bad experience.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 June 2010

This was the best onsen hotel I stayed during my trip to Hokkaido. From the hotel, you get a great view of Lake Toya, and on spring-summer months, they have fireworks displays every evening on the river!

The onsen was very clean and comfortable.

We had a buffet dinner at the hotel restaurant, the spread was excellent, and they had fantastic beef fillet! The queue for that was loooooong!!

One other thing that I loved was the fantastic shower in the room that gives you a massage while you shower!

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family