“Good but way to heavy”

Michel Bras Toya Japon
Ranked #3 of 65 Restaurants in Toyako-cho
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Singapore
“Good but way to heavy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We planned Windsor Toya into our trip just for the purpose of having dinner at Michel Bras. The quality of the food is very good, but the whole meal emphasized too much on Duck and it was too creamy, maybe it's Xmas and winter, the chef want us to load us up on fats. We had a huge piece of duck foie gras, then cabbage with duck fat & then another huge piece of duck breast. Most of us can't finish even half of the meat. Dessert was also good but it's just too big portion and it's make us feel sick after a while. Maybe it's just us not used to the heavy winter menu...
I was disappointed that the Chef did not even bother to come out and check why most of his food was half finish when the restaurant was only filled with 4 tables.

3 Thank Miaw G

• Thai first
“Great Meal, Breathtaking View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a 3 Michelin star restaurant. Naturally I food was great with a touch of Japanese colors, local ingredients and Japanese precision. Hokkaido is not only well known for King Crabs, scallops, and dairy products. They also have good beef, great produce such as corn and potato. With these ingredients and perfectionist culture, the meal was great, but what made this restaurant the best of the best is the setting. The restaurant perched on top of Toya Lake and the panoramic window of the restaurant brought the clients up close to the beauty of Mother Nature. One truly appreciated the gift of Mother Nature through all five senses sitting in the restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
Tokyo, Japan
“Amazed the First Time, Bored the Second”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We book an overnight stay at Windsor Hotel for the specific purpose of dining at this 3 star Michelin French restaurant. First in 2010 which was an absolutely amazing dining experience. The total cost for 2 adults and 2 children including wine was about 120,000 yen ($1,450) which is the most we ever paid for dinner with lower tier wine but the dining was fabulous and memorable, so much so that we booked again and brought the my parents-in-law to share in the experience.

I must say that our second visit was a disappointment. The waiting time between meals was much too long. It was the holiday season and they may have overbooked or perhaps they were under staffed I'm not sure. I requested to speak to the restaurant manager but was told he was on holiday which was surprising. I spoke to his replacement and explained to him that the concept of highlighting local produce was perhaps being overdone. My in laws mentioned to the floor manager that although the fish course was tasty they were disappointed that they were being served local low quality fish that could be picked up at the supermarket for under 1,000 yen ($12). The reply from the Japanese staff was very courteous and professional. He apologized and said "the menu is decided by a famous foreign chef that wants to highlight local produce" to which my mother in law replied "we are not paying local prices though are we?"

Wine: As a guest of the hotel I was able to bring my own wine for a corkage fee of 3,500 yen ($40) which was reasonable for a luxurious restaurant in Japan. Indeed, most will not allow it. The restaurant has a limited wine list which is surprising for a French restaurant rated 3 stars by Michelin. The sommelier staff explained that most of their Japanese customers do not order wine by the bottle and tend to be satisfied with the selected table wine.

I recommend this restaurant for those wanting to experience a true French dining experience which highlights local Hokkaido produce so long as your pockets are bottomless.

• Visited December 2011
6 Thank TokyoSommelier
Tokyo
“Completely dissapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

I tried Michel brass at lunch time on the 31st od December.
The quality of food and food stuffs were terribly bad irrespective of its high price. Steamed fish smelled somehow raw. To serve a family of 3 members, 3 persons brought in dishes with their arms raised high. It looked like a ritual ceremony. Meat was also tiny and not at the quality expected at this level of restaurant.

4 Thank BMW-m6-sports
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I enjoyed every dish! You can feel the Chef's spirit from the very beginning...Garugoille was really amazing. Every...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

I enjoyed every dish! You can feel the Chef's spirit from the very beginning...Garugoille was really amazing. Every little piece had different taste...and I loved the liqueur of elder, kind of bitter but good for aperitif. I really wanna go back there !

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook