“good location but extremely run down rooms”

New Champagne Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taiping
New Champagne Hotel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Taiping
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We booked one family and one standard room during chinese new year. I would commend the staff for handling advance reservations extremely well by reconfirming our booking once they received the advance payment. However the hotel is extremely run down. The staircase smells the evening we checked in. Both rooms were stuffy and musty. I could not use my hair dryer as the socket was behind the tv and i could not reach it. There is a socket beside the side table in the other room but it was out of order. Everything sucks except for the location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have stayed here two years in a row. This time for six weeks. Well located near Gardens. Twenty minute walk to zoo. Thirty five to both Coronation and Burmese pools as well as jeeps to go up Maxwell hill. Five minutes to town centre and three to yummy food courts. GREAT staff. The hot water works after a fashion

I bet $$$$ the review by Rubberman99 is fake. I have not seen one cockroach. How can it be dirty with daily maid service that includes bed sheet change, mopping floors daily with disinfectant, and two clean towels a day plus soap and shampoo. As for cockroaches they need food.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Durio
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We decided to book 2 rooms here during the Chinese New Year as the better hotels were fully booked. Unfortunately that turned out to be a mistake. While we weren't expecting much for the price that we paid, we did hope the the room was in better shape after reading positive reviews about the place.

Disappointingly our room was stuffy, smelt damp and the window could not be opened to air it. The bed sheets, although relatively clean bore traces of stains that had remained even after washing. The beds were hard. The bathroom was cramped and the peeling window hardly looked appealing. The part that disgusted me most were the aircond vents that was riddled with horrible looking mold all over. Obviously it had not been cleaned for a while. It was dreadful putting up 2 nights there hoping we weren't inhaling harmful spores in from the mold. My husband's sinus flared up due to the stuffy condition. The towels looked unclean and smelt funny so we ended up using our own.

Another setback is there are no lifts here. We specifically requested for the 1st floor (lowest floor) to ease the trip up and down for my parents. Definitely not recommended for old people. The noise from the corridor (people walking to and from their rooms) resounded way too loudly for our comfort. The only commendation I have of this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff as well as its convenient location that's within walking distance to nearby eateries. Parking was also relatively easy to find and near. Nevertheless, this will be our first and last stay there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PatLip
Reviewed 28 February 2013

My family and I stayed there for 4 nights during the cny week. Have stayed in both rm 402 and 407. Rooms are relatively clean and beds are comfortable. However, the toilet at 402 is not so good as the door cannot be locked and there is no hooks or holder in it to hang clothes or towel when bathing. There were also 2 small cockroaches on 2 different nights running on the floor. Rm 407 is good since it is big and spacious. Service is accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: Choose lower floor if have a lot of luggage as the hotel does not have a lift.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2013

It's a flea pit with cockroaches as well. Dirty and bug ridden I am still itching from the experience. Very noisy clientele and the management don't respond to issues. Do not stay unless you like sharing your room with insects and being kept awake ALL night!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Booked for a night stay after Christmas (I called to book 2 days in advance after reading reviews on TA). There were ample of vacant parking lots in front of the hotel & nearby.
Front Office: Simple & clean with a small lounge area. Staffs were friendly and helpful.
Rooms: Clean, good enough for a stay of 1-3 days, especially if you are not going to be in the room most times. The bathroom/toilet were clean though old. It has clean towels,soap, toilet rolls, cold & hot water showers. TV as local channels, Chinese channels, sports, animal & HBO channels. I find it very good for a budget hotel.
There's a common ironing place & you have to use the iron (taken from front desk) and give them back soon.
We were satisfied with the stay here for it was cheap and we can use the additional cash for sightseeing & loads of food. We will be back.

Room Tip: We took two rooms (2 couples) on the first floor facing the car park & restaurant. TA reviewers...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scool_sgm
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My family stayed at Room 208, Sept 16. 2012. Big room with 2 queen size beds firm and clean sheets for RM93 per night . Over looking the restaurant opposite the hotel. It was quiet after business hours. It was good for light sleeper like me. The customer service at the front desk was fantastic and I was being told she worked for the hotel for 12 long years. Walking distance to 2 food courts and right besides the new food court was the Taiping Lake Garden. The hotel very easy to locate and parking were plenty.Its a small town and its safe to walk around. Taiping zoo and night safari also walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a big luggage choose rooms located at the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family