“Modern, boutique hotel in the centre of Preveza”

Boutique Hotel Dioni
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Preveza
London, United Kingdom
“Modern, boutique hotel in the centre of Preveza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Preveza isn't exactly the tourist capital of Greece, and I'm certain that we would never have visited if it wasn't for my father who lives there. With this in mind, The Dioni turned out to be a great surprise and we will definitely stay there again if the opportunity arises.

Before I go into details, one quick point of clarification. I booked The Dioni through expedia.co.uk which shows this hotel as two star. Fortunately I read Tripadvisor before I booked as I was looking for a three star minimum, and having now stayed at this hotel I can only assume that either Expedia or The Dioni have made a mistake with the rating. I would rate this hotel as a strong three star and possibly a four star hotel and I will provide feedback to the hotel and Expedia to see if this can be corrected.

Now, the details...

We stayed for three nights in a 'Junior Suite' - room 109 to be precise. We arrived in the evening and parked in the carpark behind the hotel. The Diona has a sign on the main street through Preveza, directing you to the hotel, however it is very small and we drove past it once without noticing. If you're driving into Preveza from the tunnel, keep an eye out on the right side of the street for a small, pale green sign with 'Dioni' written on it. If you get to the first roundabout you've gone too far.

As we had prepaid for the room, checkin was almost instaneous and we were given our key within thirty seconds of arriving. Our suite was on the first floor with a small balcony overlooking the front of the hotel but there are no views of anything other than the street, albeit a very quiet one.

The room, like the rest of the hotel, is decorated in a moderm, minimalistic style with nice interior design touches throughout. There is a sofa and table to justify the 'suite' and the bathroom was a pretty standard size with a shower over the bath, which I personally found quite narrow at the shoulders, but good enough for a quick soak.

The A/C in the room did its job but will not let you set a temperature lower than 23 degrees, although this turned out to be cool enough to need a duvet which was stored in the wardrober instead of just the sheet provided on the bed. As someone who likes it cool when he sleeps, the A/C was just fine.

The television in the room has a number of channels however the only english-speaking one was CNN at the time of our visit. Not really a problem for us as we weren't there to watch telly!

I had two problems with the suite overall, neither of which I reported to the hotel as I did not feel they would affect my satisfaction enough to warrant it. The first was the safe, which was not functioning. The second was the drainage plug in the bathroom floor would overflow when you unplugged the bath. The first time it flooded quite badly but I think the problem is that the bath empties so quickly that the drains cannot cope. In the ended I folded a wet towel over the drain and stood on it when I emptied the bath! It seemed to do the trick.

The public areas of the hotel are fantastic and decorated to a very high standard. The bar/restaurant area is a great place to relax and reminded me of some of the four and five star boutique hotels in the UK. The breakfast area on the top floor has excellent panoramic views of Preveza's rooftops and the bay, so don't miss out. Speaking of missing out, we showed up too late for breakfast one morning, only for the staff to knock on our door to deliver coffee and pastries to our room of their own accord. It was a really nice touch and we were very grateful to them.

I wouldn't call The Dioni 'cheap', however the location and the service more than made up for the £90ish per night we were charged.

If we ever come back to Preveza, we won't hesitate to book The Dioni again.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a quiet area generally and all junior suites are on the first floor so you may exper...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TaiFighter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Evia, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Absolutely beautiful, especially the bar restaurant at the lobby has the most beautiful decoration you can imagine, art objects everywhere at lobby, even the corridors are renovated and beautifully decorated, you don't forget not for a moment that you are in a boutique hotel. But the top of all is the bed, the matresses and pillows, they are Cocomat, a greek company which make high quality ecological matresses, pillows etc, so comfortable, it had many pillows from Cocomat pillow menu so you could choose what suits you best! Teh sheets on bed were so clean and fresh as they were brand new!
The whole room was pretty big, not spacious, but comfortable for boutique hotel. Nice decoration, little decorative details, art design objects. Everywhere in room very clean.
The bathroom was clean like brand new - the whole hotel is brand new - with bathtube, glass at the half place of bathroom to prevent water from shower, nice big mirror, Korres shampoo, bath foam and body lotion, milk soap for very delicate skin. Nice decoration.
The breakfast was very good, eggs in different ways, bacon, sausages, etc. different sweets, croissants. It is served on roof garden which is nice with nice view at old city. The only problem which is a big one is that it is served from 7 to 10, that's very limited. We were forced to wake up at 9 to prevent to eat breakfast and we were on holidays. That stressed me and ruined my good mood. They should definetely fix it. At last the price of the room was 80 euros, a very good price I think for all these it offers.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Godiv74
chania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

it was a really really good hotel and although it is not one of the cheapest,it is worth its price!!!the breakfast was quite rich and good and the rooms clean and nicely decorated!!personally i didnt notice anything negative!!...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChaniaMaria
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

Very nice rooms and bathrooms. Very comfortable beds.
Good breakfast in the third floor overlooking old Preveza.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo