“good for a Pakse splash-out”

Champasak Palace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Pakse
Reviewed 17 January 2009

We stayed for just one night, but were impressed with the overall level comfort and service. Had BOOKED one of the VIP Suites for $60US, amazed at the sheer size of the suite; the dressing room alone was as big as some guesthouse rooms we've had, and fully kitted-out with dressing table/vanity mirror, suitcase rack, umbrellas, scale, large armoire with robes/slippers, safe. Nice bathroom with amenities, separate shower and bathtub. Spacious sitting area with loveseat, water heater and proper tea pot, good quality local green tea (but instant coffee), large executive-style desk, huge TV and very comfortable bed/linens. The scale of everything here is BIG. I took a walk around the verandas on our floor and some of the upper floors, very spacious and open, fantastic views over Pakse. OK breakfast buffet, but otherwise did not eat in restaurant. Delta Coffee across the street has good, cheap food--extensive Thai menu (mee krob was excellent!) and pizza/pasta/sandwiches. Hotel relatively quiet while we were there. Great splash-out for the end of our time in Southern Laos.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CunningMcFar

Reviewed 9 October 2008

A converted palace reasonably close to the town centre, perhaps a 6-7 minute walk to the market but I walk quickly. I took the suite on the top floor for $55 a night and it was beautiful. The breakfast and food generally were good with great deals on wine [for a hotel]. At night there were restaurants close by but no bars or shops and the town closed down at 10pm ish. The hotel had only 5 TV stations all in Thai or Lao.
In short the hotel was great but the town was VERY quiet!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank neamman
Reviewed 26 April 2008

A palace for 35$US a night. Best hotel we stayed in Laos, esp in terms of value.
Staff very helpful. Rooms large, comfortable & quiet with good views.
Excellent Asian breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doofer
Reviewed 3 March 2008

As our bus was driving into Pakse after a grueling 12+ hour journey from Vientiane, we saw the Chamapasak Palace lit up on the hill. When it was confirmed that it was where we would be staying that night, people started cheering. Seriously.

You have to take things in context. This is a remote part of a 3rd world country, and it's a true palace that was intended for a king. Some parts of the hotel are truly impressive, other aspects are definitely 3rd world basic. We stayed in standard rooms for about $35 USD per night, and they were pretty much what we expected for $35. They had all the standard hotel amenities, a decent sized room, and a nice hot shower.

We did get bumped to the second building when we extended our stay, and I would avoid that building in general. Also we stayed in rooms 203 and 303 which are directly above the public restroom and there was an unpleasant smell in the bathroom at times. Everybody else in our party was thoroughly pleased with their rooms, and we peeked into some of the suites when doors were propped open and they looked to be pretty nice by any standards.

It's definitely worth staying just to walk around the grounds and enjoy the fact that you are staying in a true palace for a bargain price.

We also tried the karaoke bar across the street. It's strictly a locals-only type of place, we felt out of place, couldn't understand anything, and definitely got some strange looks from people, but people smiled and were nice to us, and even gave flowers to the girls in our party (it was around Valentine's day). Definitely a unique experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank bord
Reviewed 25 February 2008

My husband and I stayed here one night and wished we had stayed longer. We had the room with the king bed. Supposedly there is only one king room at the hotel, and it is supposed to be the biggest one in the complex. It was definitely the biggest room I have ever stayed in: the sitting room was bigger than most hotel rooms and the bedroom was even bigger than the sitting room (bedroom had its own sitting area and office area). The bathroom was also nicely done with black marble/granite. The view of the Se Don river from the private patio outside the room was also spectacular - very peaceful.

We did a day trip to Wat Phu Champasak and didn't get a chance to check out the city. However, after a long, hot day, it was wonderful to come back to such comfortable accommodations. We had dinner at the Delta Coffee restaurant across the road - the pad thai was amazing!

Champasak Palace hotel was simply spectacular and I highly recommend booking early and asking for the king room. No pun intended, but it truly must have been the King's room!

Happy travels.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2008

First of all, and no offense, it seemed that most travelers need to understand that when they come to Laos, they shouldn't expect too much because this is not Monte Carlo or Paris. People should understand that when hotels here claim to be a 5 star, it actually means that it is 3-4 star in the world's standards.

Having said that, here is what I think of The Champasak Palace Hotel. I recently stayed here for a night as part of the 5 day trip to Laos with my parents and relatives.

Check In:

Check in was done very quickly and in a smooth, simple manner. There are many bell boys considering the size of the hotel and they quickly took our bags up to the room. Reception spoke very bad English, but I must give them a pat on the back because I can tell that they tried. Since we were Thai, we had no problem as they spoke very good Thai.

Room:

We got a Junior Suite on the 4th floor. The top floor of the hotel (Flr. 4) only has the junior suite, 1 bedroom suite, and the presidential suite. The room itself is quite nice (in my opinion) with all the basics and plenty of room to move around. (See pics) It appeared to me that all the rooms on the 4th floor has recently been renovated. The room had all the basics.. safe.. IDD telephone..TV with CNN/BBC etc...Minibar...Hot water/tea making machine..and surprisingly high speed internet (Wired) connection cable. The bathroom was also of reasonable size. Overall, I was quite impressed with the room. I got a price of around $130 a night for the Jr. Suite.

Hotel:
The hotel, after asking some staff and reading the brochure, was originally a palace built during the time when the French were in control of Laos. Afterwards, a Laos businessmen bought the palace and later on he sold it to a Thai businessmen whom renovated it and turned it into a Palace Hotel. The facade is very nice, I have to admit. The garden and surrounding areas are beautiful and right by the river. As you walk along the hallway and corridors, you can feel the sense of its history. Nevertheless, I have to admit that it's quite creepy walking the corridors at night as there are many dark spots and the lights along the corridors aren't that bright either.

Food:
I tried the room service, it was between $1-$5. I remembered that the $5 was the most expensive dish.. it was if I'm not wrong, Imported Steak. The food tasted so so. I recommend you eat outside the hotel in local restaurants by the river. Breakfast was ok.. with the usual American breakfast basics plus local specialities.

Service:
I would give them 8/10. They're mostly attentive but there are still some room for improvement.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the hotel. They have rooms to suit all types of travellers with every budget, starting from the cheapest beinga round $40 I believe.. up to $200. I can feel that all the staffs are trying their best to please us, although sometimes they do things that just doesn't make sense. The atmosphere is warm and friendly. Many people told me that this hotel is haunted and that there are many ghosts, but during my 1 night stay here, I did not encounter anything, so I would say that the rumors are not true.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank q9rve
Reviewed 8 February 2008

After having no luck at all booking a room in Pakse via the internet we finally had a Lao speaker ring around for us. We couldn't get the three nights we wanted anywhere so we took two nights at The Champasak Palace Hotel. What a beaut place it is.

It really was built as a palace and hence has lovely wide, cool verandahs, a very nice diningroom/bar and a very pleasant feel about the whole place. I think it was Travelfish who said it looked like a wedding cake and they were right.

As a previous reviewer pointed out the staff have not been trained to five star European standard but are cheery and try hard to please.

The buffet breakfast was just so-so and the service at the bar was a bit ordinary (beer or straight spirits were OK but ordering anything more complex caused a bit of a panic) but sitting in the outdoor area overlooking the river more than made up for it.

The room wasn't huge but was big enough and was very clean and comfortable - good bed, good towels. I believe there may be a newer section where the rooms are bit more basic - we saw bus groups being herded into them - but our room was beaut.

The hotel is a little out of the centre of Pakse but as it's a small town you can still walk into the 'centre' in 10 minutes or get a tuk-tuk for a dollar and be there in 2 minutes.

Don't believe other guides that say there is no ATM in Pakse. One was installed in mid January just down the road from the hotel.

For the third night we moved to the Sang Aroun hotel just down the road. See review elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple