“Amazing experience”

explora Patagonia - All Inclusive
Mission Beach
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Torres del Paine, chile is an amazing place to visit a little hard to get to but worth the effort.
Explora Patagonia lodge is one of the best I have visited. View photos on my Facebook page,
Mission Beach tropical North Queensland and AltitudeOne40 or AltitudeOne40.
A must do!

Room Tip: Salto Chico has been designed to capture all views each room had an excellent view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Altitude140
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Patagonia - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear traveler,

Thank you for your kind review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your explora Patagonia experience.

We thank you for pointing out that the Salto Chico lodge has been designed to capture wonderful views from literally every single room. It’s hard not to when you are in the heart of the Torres del Paine Park, but it is very kind of you to make that point.

Please know that you are eligible for the benefits of our CESA program, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For more information about these programs, please visit our website.

We look forward to welcoming you back at explora.

Jesús Parrilla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This was truly the experience of a lifetime. I could write a whole novel about how great the Explora Patagonia Lodge is, but I will just say simply that it is the best lodge I have ever been to; the design and decor, the staff and service, the food and beverages are all superlative, and the view is like living in a postcard. We went in winter and didn't know what to expect but got 4 clear blue days and some of the most scenic hiking you could ever ask for. I almost cried when I had to leave. Whoever you are, you need to go here.

Room Tip: We went in winter and obviously it worked out brilliantly in terms of room choice and availability.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear traveler,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your explora Patagonia experience.

I wholeheartedly agree that winter is a fantastic time to travel to Torres del Paine. Sure, the average temperature is lower, but I have experiences many absolutely gorgeous, sunny and perfect hikes in the park during wintertime. It might be one the best kept secrets about Southern Chile - traveling in winter!

Please allow me to make you aware of the benefits of our CESA program, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For details about these programs can be found in our website.

Thank you for feedback!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

This place is definitely worth the price and the trek to get there (hello 2+ hour drive on dirt roads). We had an absolutely amazing stay. The rooms were beautiful -perfectly appointed and spacious. The view was picturesque (seriously some of the photos we took right from our window don't even look real). The staff was phenomenal -from our guides each day to the hotel staff, they were all wonderful. I only had to mention my food allergies once and the entire staff was informed and incredibly prepared for each and every meal -amazing. The hiking was so much fun - the "W" definitely worth every step. We loved our stay so much we're already looking at their other locations. Definitely a stay we will never forget!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear traveler,

Thank you so much for your very kind review of your explora Patagonia experience.

I am delighted to read that the explora Patagonia team was able to customize your explora experience to your liking. And since you are thinking about possibly returning in the future, please allow me to point out a new program that explora launched recently: explora photographic expeditions. The photographic expeditions are designed by explora and sponsored by Nikon. They combine adventure and photography. You will be able to improve your photography skills under the expert guidance of a renowned photographer who has spent years capturing these exquisite landscapes. One of our explora guides will also accompany the expedition, giving you the knowledge to better understand the environment and enrich your photography. But as you know already, even with the photography aspect, there is lots to do and experience at all explora destinations.

Lastly, I would like to make you aware of the benefits of our CESA program, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For the latest benefits, kindly visit our website.

packmybagsreadytogo
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This is a once in a lifetime experience. If you like to hike but also like to be pampered this is the place to go. Set at the end of the earth in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, this hotel knows how to take care of their guests. The guides were knowledgeable, the hotel staff very helpful, just an overall amazing experience.

Room Tip: Go for the extra price and get the mountain view... breath taking!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank packmybagsreadytogo
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Patagonia - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your very kind review of your explora Patagonia experience.

You’ve ecoed out the explora founder’s vision: explora combines interaction with nature and local cultures with relatively demanding physical activity, which is necessary if you want to see the best of what Chile has to offer. Then, at the end of the day, even under the most difficult circumstances, explora provides comforts and pleasures which reward the effort made.

Please know that after visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts of 10% and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, kindly visit our website.

Thank you again for your review and look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 19 May 2013

To see the peaks of Torres del Paines from the floor to ceiling windows of our own bedroom is reason enough to fly to the bottom of South America and be driven 5 hours to Torres Del Paines national park. Th explora is an expensive eco resort that is located perfectly with amenities that pampered us nicely after our full day hikes. A wonderful swimming pool and Sauna, some fantastic food and wine and a luxury retreat fit for a modern adventurer. Just perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Buddakhan
Dear traveler,

You’ve beautifully echoed Mr. Pedro Ibáñez´s (explora founder) vision: explora combines interaction with nature and local cultures with relatively demanding physical activity, which is necessary if you want to see the best of what Chile has to offer. Then, at the end of the day, even under the most difficult circumstances, explora provides comforts and pleasures which reward the effort made.

Please know that after visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts of 10% and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, please visit our website.

We look forward to welcoming you back at explora.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Salto Chico was the final leg of our Explora experience having enjoyed the delights of Rapa Nui to begin our trip followed by a visit to San Pedro de Atacama. I was travelling with friends who are regular Explora guests and they were concerned that they may have raised my expectations of Salto Chico too high. Not a problem, if anything my expectations were exceeded.
We arrived in early June, 2012 (yes I am very slow at writing this review!) and there were only a small number of other guests. The hotel is spacious but even with such a small number of us it still felt intimate and cosy.
My room was superb. Spacious and comfortable, great bathroom but the best feature was the incredible views across the lake to the mountains. Waking up each morning to such views was inspiring and I could hardly wait to get started with the day's excursion.
The daily excursions were organised the evening before, though at this time of year weather could sometimes cause a change of plans as some were physically challenging. The guides were all well informed and at least bi-lingual which was necessary as my Spanish was limited to a few social phrases. I love trekking and the day walks I did were among the most enjoyable I have experienced. The hotel's location in the centre of the Torres del Paine park is ideal and gives access to a great variety of landscapes with abundant opportunities to observe the local wildlife.
The meals provided were first class. The menus for each meal were limited but included enough variety to provide everyone a choice. The staff in the restaurants were friendly and very efficient. I was anxiously awaiting news of the arrival of a new grandchild and when the happy day arrived a few days before our departure the kitchen produced a nice treat to help me celebrate.
Salto Chico is a great hotel in and unbelievably beautiful location - well worth a visit, but do not make it short as even after our 8 nights I was reluctant to leave and there were attractions I had not seen.

Room Tip: travel in the off-season when the hotel is not full to increase the chance of a room with the best v...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank John L
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your very kind and detailed review of your explora Patagonia experience.

There are many elements of your review that could make my day, but one aspect in particular struck my as very “explora”: “at this time of year weather could sometimes cause a change of [exploration] plans.” You’ve written this so nonchalantly, that I had to highlight it.

The microclimate of the Torres del Paine Park can be unpredictable, at times we have four seasons in one day, and it is always the traveler’s attitude that makes every single day an adventure. Based on your review you obviously love the outdoors, but it’s also your attitude that helps us turn every situation and climate into an experience. Addmittedly, you also need the appropriate outdoor gear, such as boots, layers and a versatile jacket.

In honor of explora Patagonia’s 20th. Anniversary we’ve taken out benefit program up a notch or two, please peruse our web site for increased benefits for return explora guests and more: CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, kindly visit our website.

Thank you again for your review.

Saratoga, California
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The explora Patagonia - Hotel Salto Chico is a special place and we had a great experience there; we much enjoyed the excursions with excellent guides, the heated indoor lap pool by the lower lake, the countryside barbecue, and first-rate service (I was not feeling well on the first day so the chef made a special dinner of chicken soup for me) and, of course, the superb natural setting. Moreover, we had originally booked a room on the Salto Chico side of the lodge. Upon arrival, unbeknownst to us, we were assigned to the Cordillera side with full view of lake and mountains (no extra charge).
An incident on the last day, however, soured our reverie. While waiting in the lobby for the van to take us and others back to Punta Arenas, amidst friends made during our stay, a woman from the reception desk approached my husband asking him to pay a $30 bill for a pair of gloves I had purchased three days prior. My husband explained that he had already paid the bill a day or two earlier at the desk, with cash. The woman fervently insisted he had not done so, because she and a colleague had been “the only two persons who attended that desk” and neither of them recalled his payment or could find record of it. With everyone looking on, my husband feverishly searched through his hand luggage, unsuccessfully, for his receipt. His main bag was already stowed away in the van trailer.
While my husband continued searching, I spoke with Guillermo, the general manager, and told him what was happening. He said he was aware, but that we had to produce the receipt. Finally, because van departure was already delayed for this incident, Guillermo said we could leave, but to send him the receipt if we should find it. When we boarded the van, one of the desk clerks came running up to tell us she had located the lodge’s copy of the receipt. By explanation there had been a third woman who had attended the desk during a mid-day hour when my husband had paid the bill, and she had misfiled the paperwork.
Why do I think the whole incident was mishandled? I can understand for a hotel wanting its clients to pay their bills, but to claim that a guest has not paid a bill at the very last moment at the lobby, with suitcases stowed and other guests being delayed and expectantly observing and waiting, was particularly discomforting.
The Explora is a luxury hotel and the bill in question was a miserly $30. Wouldn’t it have been more gracious to take us at our word, accept our explanation and then ask us to send the receipt when we found it? Furthermore, I believe that a simple “we are sorry” did not compensate for the unpleasant moment we went through. I left feeling that this is not a place that works based on trust in their guests or with confidence that they will do the right thing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank NidiaMargarita
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Patagonia - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear traveler,

We thank you very much for your review. While not entirely positive, we are grateful for your feedback.

I am sincerely sorry for the discomfort that you are your husband experienced based on a mistake that was entirely ours. The employee in question has been counseled and all front-desk employees have been re-trained to avoid incident like the ones you encountered.

You are unfortunately entirely right to criticize our staff for the way they handled this situation and again, I am deeply sorry.

For all us at explora, it is an absolute priority to carefully listen to the voice of our customers, and decisively act upon their comments, complaints, suggestions and recommendations in order to provide the excellent service explora is known and recognized for. Please rest assured that we have taken all the necessary measures to ensure this does not happen again.

Again, I would like to provide our deepest apologies for falling to meet your expectations and Thank You for taking the time to let us know how we failed.