“Best location for Torres Del Paine”

Las Torres Patagonia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wyckoff, New Jersey
“Best location for Torres Del Paine”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I stayed for 4 days in late February into early March 2014. We had trekked around El Calafate, El Chalten, and finished out 10 day trip with Las Torres. The location is remote and in the middle of nowhere- which is what make this hotel great. We set out for 3 hikes right form the hotel, whereas other people staying in the area had to drive to a trailhead of get transport to start their hike.

The food at the bar was great- try the Patagonia Pizza and the fresh brewed iced tea. The restaurant's food was also great- had read some reviews of having a poor selection and not tasty, but my wife and I disagree completely and enjoyed every meal.

The French Valley tour was a full 11 hour day but had awesome views and was a great hike. Horseback riding right on the hotel's grounds was relaxed and low key, would definitely recommend.

If you're hiking or backpacking through Torres Del Paine, you can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Madison, WI
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I just got back from a 10 day trip to Chile. I stayed at the Las Torres Patagonia for 4 nights between 04/06/14-04/10/14. From beginning to end, my experience with the Hotel Las Torres was great. The hotel picked me up at my hotel in Punta Arenas on the morning of 04/06 with no problems. We had to pick up two other people at the airport, so we made our way with our excellent driver Juan Carlos. Once everyone was picked up, we started the road trip. We stopped at the Estancia and had an amazing lunch of lamb, potatoes, salad, and a great Chilean dessert of a reconstituted peach with wheat. We were also greeted at the ranch with Pisco Sour's and amazing wine with lunch. After lunch there was a sheep shearing demonstration. The husband and wife that live at the ranch are so inviting. I felt right at home, and it was such a cozy lunch in the dining room of the ranch house with a nice fire going. It was perfect. Then we made our way to the hotel. Juan Carlos was willing to stop any time we wanted to get out and take photos. Finally made it to the hotel. Check in was easy and fast. Got right to my room. I was on the all inclusive plan, and I highly recommend this. All of my meals, drinks, and daily excursions were included. The hotel's rooms are basic, but they are very nice. Plus, you are surrounded by such beautiful landscape, the basic room is fine. You won't be spending much time in the room except to sleep after a long day. It was perfect, in my opinion. I went on the Full Paine van tour, which included an amazing lunch and all the sights in the park. The next morning I went on a half day horse tour. This one seemed to be just pretty close to the property since horses aren't allowed in the park itself. It was good. They let me gallop the horses in a valley which was cool. On my last full day I did the full day climb to the towers. I am so out of shape, I was a bit worried. We started on horseback, and then did the hike. Our guide Carlos was encouraging, and helpful. I made it. I was so happy I did it. I want to thank the amazing guides I had while I was there. Carlos and Carolina. They were so nice, and so helpful and full of information about the park and Chile itself. They are great employees to have. I enjoyed all of my time with both of them. This is getting a bit winded, so on to the food. I was not expecting such gourmet food in the middle of this park. It was so beautiful I didn't want to eat it!! But, I did, and it was delicious. I only had dinner in the restaurant 2 nights. Other nights I ate at the bar and had a sandwich and fries. That was really good too. The breakfast buffet was great every day. The buffet had enough variety and it was nice to have a good breakfast before hiking all day. Overall, I think this hotel was just about perfect. It is in a perfect location, with great employees, and services. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Jorge G, Coordinador de Marketing at Las Torres Patagonia, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Hello jimi1918 , thank you so much for this complete review! You are actually describing the purpose and commitment we have to our guests: To offer an authentic and natural experience.

I will make sure to tell our staff about your great comments. I am sure they enjoy meeting you too.

Thanks again and take care!!
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had a tough time deciding whether to book this hotel due to the many bad reviews I read about it. In the end, I am happy we stayed here. I think the refugio options are probably still good alternatives if this option is out of your budget as we met other travellers who were happy with their refugios. We debated whether to join a "hiking tour" to the mirador, but opted against it due to the cost. You definitely do not need to do it with a tour.

Pros:
1. It is near the entrance of the park so for those coming in via bus from Argentina, it is a good place to get dropped off/picked up.
2. Amazing view
3. Breakfast spread was great
4. The restaurant staff were quite friendly

Cons:
1. The hotel is basic relative to the cost--but you are paying for the location
2. The food options are hit and miss. The chicken was really dry. The pizza was awful. The salmon and fries were great.
3. When you try to book over the phone or get details, they do try to push for the all inclusive option. We did not need it and were glad we saved ourselves some money. It was also a bit confusing getting the details of payment and transfers--thankfully it all worked out. We were surprised it was much easier than it seemed over the phone (though maybe because we booked our bus transfer and 1 day bus tour via Chalten Travel).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelstarling
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great hotel in absolutely fantastic location. Within the Torres del Paine national park with plenty of walks straight from the hotel. You can join an organised walk or horse ride or go out by yourself. Great spa with good massages after a long hike. Good breakfast and good value bar food.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jorge G, marketing coordinator at Las Torres Patagonia, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Hi DeborahSusanM, thanks for writing this comment.

You are right about all the different options we have at the hotel for hiking or horseback riding since we actually are in a “fantastic location”.

It is great that you enjoyed our SPA. One of the best things to do after a hike is getting a massage to be ready for the next excursion/hiking !!

Cheers!!
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 4 April 2014

excellent place
very nice guides
the hotel is verygood atmosfer
the food was excellent and the service is great
it was the best way to expirience patagonia from chile side
as a travel agent i will recomende my client to travel and use this hotel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jorge G, at Las Torres Patagonia, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Hi DeborahSusanM, thanks for writing this comment.

Cheers!!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We spent 3 nights in this delightful hotel in a totally remote location. Views were tremendous and the peace and tranquillity of the place breathtaking, not to mention the horses munching grass outside the bedroom window at night time! Staff in the bar (Maximillianus(?) and his brother, and the others) were super efficient and friendl. Some of the reception staff appeared to be slightly immature but on the whole the welcome was good. We had a deluxe room situated down a peaceful corridor away from the hubbub of the main communal areas and reception - a room which was extremely comfortable and well appointed.
Breakfasts were excellent as was the bar food, although the choice was a bit limited. We did not have dinner in the restaurant as buffet is not our bag.
The walk to the Torres is an absolute must but it is quite a challenging route but well worth it. Get a lunchbox (yummy) from the hotel before you leave in the morning. This trek is well marked from the hotel and does not need a guide.
The park is easy to navigate by private car - after all there are few roads so a little bit of research will result in good knowledge of all the places of interest and different hikes. We did not do the Lago Grey glacier visit - cancelled due to high winds - but this is easily bookable independently by contacting Lago Grey Hotel directly. Take all weather gear as the weather is easily changeable

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A comfortable hotel in a stunning location and well positioned for hiking and exploring the national park. Reception, the lobby and the bar area are a bit daunting at first as they are so busy, packed with people with back packs coming and going, but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed with a nice bathroom, and lovely and warm. Restaurant is good - all buffet - with breakfast being excellent. The bar area is welcoming and relaxed, with live music several times a week. great views of the mountains. Lighter meals and snacks are available there.
A long drive from Punta Arenas with last third on poor gravel roads (about 5hrs) it is of course quite isolated but the location and landscapes are wonderful. We spent two days hiking including the trek to the base of the Torres, which was spectacular, a super day long hike - not for the faint-hearted! We also went on one organised trip - to Lago Grey and the glacier. A great day out with a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide; we stopped off at various lakes and viewpoints, including the waterfall. and a very good picnic was provided. We would have struggled to find a lot of these places ourselves and to arrange the boat trip to the glacier. It was a very rewarding trip and one we thoroughly enjoyed, and saw lots of guanacos, different birdlife including condors and other birds of prey and a grey fox. No pumas though!
We were lucky with the weather - sunny and warm nearly the whole time, but you do need too be prepared for just about everything, we needed warm clothing and hat and gloves for the glacier trip, sunscreen and sun hat for the hikes and waterproofs for our last day and of course good hiking boots and equipment.
The Torres del Paine is beautiful and wild and that's why you come here, and the hotel complements and enhances this experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jorge G, at Las Torres Patagonia, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
First of all, thanks for taking time to write this review Richard K

Second, I totally agree with your review title : “Super Location” :)

It great to hear that our “staff were very friendly and helpful.” They will be happy to hear that since they are always trying to make our guest feel comfortable.

I also make sure to tell your comment about our guide: “very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide”. They are always studying and making sure to know the details about the park.

Thanks again for your comments and we are very glad to have complemented and enhanced your experience at the National park Torres del Paine