“Wonderful location, but with some serious shortcomings”

Las Torres Patagonia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 February 2009

The principal asset of this hotel is the Torres del Paine Park - a magnificent segment of the planet which is unspoiled by commerce and beautiful to behold. The chief contact of the hotel with the Park for most of its guests is its group of bilingual guides, who go out of their way to be helpful and explain to all they meet what the landscape is all about and how to enjoyably experience it. We found them to be excellent.
The management of the hotel, however, rates mixed reviews. Our room (#29) was dark and gloomy - the result of using only 25W and 40W bulbs. As a consequence, it was difficult to read at night. Surely, this is a situation which cries out for the new low wattage energy-saving bulbs. Of more serious concern is the food situation. At night, a full dinner is served, including a large salad buffet, with pate's and spreads......without refrigeration or ice for the three or fours hours it is left out. After eating dinner on the first evening we were there, I became very ill with digestive problems (six days later, it cleared up with a doctor's assistance). It is simply poor hotel management to expose food to possible food contamination as is done here. This problem was then exacerbated the next day when I asked the front desk for an over-the counter medicine, and was told the hotel had nothing to offer but aspirin. I question whether it is prudent for management of a hotel many hours and miles away from the nearest clinic to provide assistance limited to aspirin.
This hotel is not cheap - we paid about US$ 3,650 for four nights on an all-inclusive basis. I would not recommend going on that basis - which I now understand relatively few do. I thought I was supporting more than my pro rata share for the multitude of services regularly offered - hence, I did not think that value for price was that high.
I would gladly go half-way around the world to visit the Park again, but I think I would try a different hotel. The improvements needed are not overwhelming, they only need someone to identify the problems.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Las_Torres_Patagonia, Sales Manager at Las Torres Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2009

Dear Costumer:

I would like to explain some situation so future costumer can have the best information:

We are in the center of Torres Del Paine national Park, 5 hours away from the city of Punta Arenas. All our energy has to be produced by a generator which is limited. I would like to tell all our passengers that because we are so far away from the city, we must have everything ourselves and there are many things that consume a lot of energy: Cooling system for the food storage, Industrial oven in the kitchen, Sauna and Jacuzzi and many other electric things that consume a lot of energy. That is way we have to measure all the Lights around the hotel. We are investing in new energy projects but we are not sure how long that could take.

About the food in the restaurant, I personally apologize if in this situation happened. All safety measures are very important for us that is why we have very strict policies with food and times. The dinner is a Buffet of salad and cold dishes so every minute the food is change so things like this should never happen. We will pay attention even more closely and I can assure you that problems like this are not regular.

Regarding the medicines and aspirin Issue, I would like to clarify that in Chile there is a law in winch we are not allow to give any kind of medicine to the clients. (Not even an aspirin) . If the health service sees this we would have to pay a very high amount for breaking the law. That is why when we cannot do anything about it and sometimes the clients get angry, but there is nothing we can do.

Finally I would like to remain everyone that we offer all inclusive Packages that include everything, even transportation from Punta Arenas and Calafate (arg). This cost sometimes its not in the mind of the passenger. The prices in Patagonia are not cheap so if you have all included you can enjoy Patagonia to the fullest. Of Course if you do not take any excursion you are not taking advantages of the program.
If there is anything I can help you with, just contact the hotel to Info@lastorres.com

Best regards

Mauricio Kusanovic
Sales maganer

There are newer reviews for Las Torres Patagonia

Reviewed 27 February 2009

Despite its incredible setting, Las Torres has got some problems. I have to say at the outset that my husband´s iPod disappeared on this portion of the trip, and we are fear it may have been taken out of his bag while it was in the left luggage at the hotel (we hiked for four days and kept some bags at the hotel). Yes, we were stupid to leave the iPod, but when you´re spending $300 a night, you´d like to think the left luggage is safe. And we might have left the hotel with fonder feelings if they had expressed concern over the disappearance of the iPod, but they did not.

On the upside, the hotel has a nice bar with a spectacular view of the mountains, generally friendly staff, and comfortable beds and showers. The main problem with the rooms is that there are a lot of bugs. We stayed in basic refugios while hiking and had NO bugs in the rooms, so the bugs aren´t simply a product of being out in the wilderness. The bugs don´t sting or bite, but again - when you´re paying $300 a night, you shouldn´t have big bugs crawling on the walls of your room and lying dead on the carpet.

I confess I am still glad to have had a couple nights in a private room in Torres del Paine - since the refugios cram 6-8 people into a room. But if I had to do it again, I would investigate other hotels.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2009

If ever the words "location, location, location" really meant something, they certainly apply to staying at the strategically located hotel Las Torres, right in the heart of Las Torres del Paine Park.
The hotel staff was truly super! As I was there for a full week, they got to know me on a first name basis. (It would be a great mistake to stay for only 2 or 3 days since being in a temperate climate , you could encounter a rainy period in which case you would not be able to see much of anything). Anyway, when I told the staff that I was a passionate photographer and that I needed a car and driver to take me to certain great places in the park very early for sunrise, say around 5AM, they did not hesitate to accomodate me, and, at no additional cost. Also, the manager of the hotel was really great! He arranged an extra special boat excursion for me to Cuernos. What can I say? The mountain scenery was primordial, even phantasmagorical. One should realize that going to this park in Patagonia would be like seeing the very best of Switzerland and New Zealand combined. The mountain vistas, the glaciers, and the waterfalls are truly sublime. Also, I would be remiss in not pointing out that of the 6 hikes I took which were all fabulous, two in particular were most noteworthy for photography buffs. Don't miss the "Nordenskjold" and the "Blue Lagoon". And, by the way, the guides, being extremely enthusiastic and friendly, certainly made the hikes unusually enjoyable. Coming full circle, again, a stay at Las Torres is a great experience not only for its location but because the staff goes the extra mile to insure that every traveler has the best possible time imaginable.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mrlloyd
Reviewed 18 January 2009

There are limited places to stay in Torres NP and Las Torres was the mid-range price from the other two I researched on the web. The issue is that it's definitely beneficial to stay in the park, otherwise it's a 90 mile drive from the nearest town to the park. We stayed for two night and booked everything directly with the hotel. I worked with one person, specifically, "Pamela," and she was great - very responsive and prompt in replying to e-mails. There were only two complaints I had about our stay. Check-in took FOREVER; they definitely needed more than one person staffing the front desk. Also, we ordered lunches for our hike and the lunches were an hour late, so we got on the trail later than planned. There is only one restaurant on-site and it averages $50 per person for a three course meal. The food was pretty good, the service attentive, and terrific wine selections. The rooms are clean and cute. Amazing views and close to many trailheads. Overall, it was the best option in the park for our budget and interests. Location, location, location!

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Joyroll
Reviewed 17 January 2009

I stayed here on a Bed and Breakfast Rate and was pleased with the experience. The location is more sheltered that areas in the west end of the park, and the horses add to the ambience. The staff seems pleasant and happy to be working here, including the front desk, waiters, guides and drivers (much different than my experience at Lodge Paine Grande). I had only the breakfast buffet, but thought that considering that everything comes a great distance, it was quite good, including fresh citrus fruit, brewed coffee, good quality ham, yogurt, brown or white bread, as well as steam table eggs, etc (maybe the latter were less good). The room seems recently renovated, different than some of the older photographs. There is a conference room with a nice interpretation of the park natural history, fauna and flora. Well done for a park lodge, it compares favorably, for example, to the Yosemite Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mlgb
Reviewed 10 January 2009

When you travel to Torres del Paine you have to expect to pay a lot for fairly average accommodation. Hosteria Las Torres fits that bill - it is pretty expensive, and the rooms are standard hotel fare. But this has a nicer feel than most of the other properties in the park.

The lobby and public areas are spacious and attractively decorated, and the rooms (at least in the new wing) are bright and comfortable. The restaurant was good, with a reasonable evening buffet. And the staff made an effort to help us out when needed.

This hotel is in a pretty good location as well - close to one of the main hiking trails, with a variety of routes within a few miles. For those with a car, there are some nice day-trip locations nearby that are off the beaten track (i.e. you don't spend all day following speeding minibuses doing the 'Torres del Paine in a day' tour from Puerto Natales).

For those who haven't been, the park is amazing and a must-see if you in Chile. And this hotel is a decent base for your activities. Just don't expect too much for your money.

• Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank DanSteely
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Okay so the location is spectacular. You are literally at the base of a mountain with awesome views. The rooms were reasonably clean and comfortable, however it was the general indifference of the staff which let the place down. Several errors were made with our booking and despite almost perfect english, they struggled to deal with our enquires. The restaurant is massively over priced and pretty crappy, we would def. reccomend that you take plenty of snacks and avoid it altogether.

Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Atkins_09
Las_Torres_Patagonia, Sales Manager at Las Torres Patagonia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2009

I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the staff. Every day we check our reviews and try to improve. That is why we thank you to live us you comment. I assure you that today you will not have an experience like this anymore.
We are located 400 km away or 5 hours from Punta Arenas. I comment this because we have to bring everything from there or even Santiago del Chile (3000 km) . To be able to work in the national park there are many efforts and big cost in investment and logistics. The price for a meal is about 15 USD that includes : Entry (Salad Buffet), the main dish ( 4 options ) , and desert.
If you compare our prices with the ones you will find in a city restaurant, of course, ours are going to be more expensive but not over priced.
I hope I have clear some dudes and I invite all travelers to contact us in our web page.
Thanks you very much.