“Holiday in paradise”

Awasi Patagonia - Relais & Chateaux
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Having travelled almost all over the world : this is the best place we stayed. Personal service, personal guide (Jorge) and a manager, Rosario, who makes you feel as a part of the family. Food is excellent and the rooms, "villas" are extremely comfortable, spacious and well equiped and the view we had from our bed when opening the blinds was astonishing. We were one of the first guests (it opened just a few days earlier) but everything was already running smoothly. Service at its best and all that "in the middle of nowhere" at "the end of the world" ! It was a long ride to get there but I would gladly do it again.

Room Tip: Villa 1 is quite a distance from the main building, but what a view ! The distance is no problem, be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank worldtravel074
AwasiAtacama, Manager at Awasi Patagonia - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Guest,

What a treat this is to receive a comment from one of our very own “pioneer” guests! It is such an honor that you chose us for your trip to the Patagonia, even though we had just opened a few days prior to your arrival. Thank you so much for allowing us that privilege. I will tell you a secret: (keep it between us) – we were nervous but after meeting guests like you, it all just made it easier for us.

Wouldn’t it be great if you could be one of the new guests at our future property, Awasi Iguazu?

It’s in the “works” but it won’t open until 2015. In the meantime, I suggest you visit us at Awasi Atacama, in the Atacama Desert.

Hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Absolutely beautiful boutique resort deep inside Patagonia. Outstanding service, food quality, and room accommodation with large doses of peace and quiet. The location is in an isolated, bucolic setting of pastureland with horses and cattle. Beautiful vistas of pastureland, forest, mountains and lakes in the distance. All accommodations are in separate, individual small houses.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Norman P

Dear Norman,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to provide us with your comments.

Glad that you found our lodge beautiful and I must agree with you, down here, at the “end of the World”, it sure is serene. It’s definitely one of the best parts of being in this special place of the earth.

It was truly an honor to had welcomed you on our private reserve and hope you may find serene, peace and quiet at the Atacama Desert. Our flagship property, Awasi Atacama awaits you there too.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

For my 40th birthday, my family surprised me with a whirlwind adventure to Torres Del Paine and the Awasi lodge. My brother and I are avid outdoorsmen and salivated over the opportunity to explore the park. We were very fortunate to have chosen Awasi, where we had our own personal guide and new 4 wheel drive vehicle at our disposal. We forged a game plan with our guide, who helped us maximize our time to achieve our 'goals' of various hikes. Torres del Paine is a HUGE place, and having the flexibility of your own guide and vehicle is priceless. Did I mention the vehicle is stocked each day with a gourmet lunch, so that you are properly fed during your outings? Of course there is also a nice bottle of red wine or ice cold Austral beers waiting for you in a cooler after a long days hike. After traveling nearly halfway around the world in a whirlwind of connections over 24 hours, pulling into the Awasi property is a fabulous reward. We even drove right across a wide river as a shortcut to the lodge, which adds just a touch of adventure! Despite being far from anything resembling civilization, Awasi is awash in elegance, style and amenities. The individual villas have a brilliant floor plan, with a smart mudroom entranceway that keeps your muddy gear organized and out of the way. One entire side of the villa has floor to ceiling glass windows that deliver awe inspiring views. A sitting area wraps around a large wood burning fireplace that in my experience always provided super heat, so much so that even in freezing temperatures we would crack a windows to bleed off some heat! We had a Nespresso coffee maker, refrigerator stocked with beer, wine, soda and water which gives you the freedom to loiter in your room in the morning/evening. The shower and bathroom are huge, and would please any wife who likes to have counter space, mirrors, and room to beautify. The villa in my opinion looks and feels like a million dollar NY or SF apartment, except it is plopped on a forested Patagonian hillside. I especially loved stepping outside in the evening and climbing into our private wood heated hot tub, which can get so hot you need a hose to add cold water! And no, you need not worry about privacy as the villas are arranged carefully to maximize privacy and enhance the views. All meals are served in the main lodge, which is slightly uphill from most villas. Again, it is open, airy and bright with several different sitting areas that offer you privacy even if there are other guest in the vicinity. When you are in the lodge, the staff does a fantastic job of seeing what you might need without giving you the feeling of being watched...for example offering a cocktail or snack at just the right moment. I spent a good deal of time lounging on the couches soaking up the views while surfing the internet on their WiFi which is only available in the lodge. I loved the dinner service, which even when the lodge was at capacity did not seem crowded or hurried. We had a choice between two entrees, two sides, two appetizers each night, ranging from salmon to Guanaco to duck or rabbit. The meals are gourmet, to say the least, and each item is put together with purpose and gastronomic cohesion. The bar made excellent Manhattan cocktails, and even caught on to my specific preference in regards to Vermouth content! One of the most important assets of Awasi is the location. Right behind it is the Sierra Contrerras, a forested mountain range that rises to rocky treeless summits. We did a fantastic hike to the top right out the front door of the lodge, climbing over 2,000 feet to be rewarded with panoramic views of the Torres del Paine and Lago Saramiento. Awasi is also close to the Sierra Baguales, which I had never heard of. The Baguales are a hidden gem of Patagonia, and our one long day hike there was the highlight of the trip. We probably would not have discovered this area had we stayed further away.

Room Tip: Odd number villas are lower on hillside, even numbers are higher up adjacent to lodge. Views all si...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank cytomitch

Dear Guest,

What a pleasure it has been to read your review. You truly have taken us all on your whirlwind trip to the Patagonia. We sure hope that your 40th was a memorable one and am glad that your family surprised you with this “bucket list-style” trip.

Glad to see that Rosario’s infamous Manhattan cocktails were one of the drinks you got a chance to enjoy. She does a great job and loves sharing it with our guests. When it comes down to these delights, it always is something personal and everyone likes it done in their own way. Very happy that we got it to your liking.

I must say, I love the shots that you got a chance to capture during your time with us. We all heard about your trip to Baguales and your guide Trisha was able to also serenade you and your brother. She has a great voice and to be able to finish up a magnificent hike there with her guitar and voice, I don’t know how else it can be perfected.

We would love to welcome you back to our property and if not this one, how about the desert? You and your brother are pretty “outdoorsy” and the Atacama Desert would definitely provide you with the adventures you are looking for.

Thank you so much for the time you took to share your comments with us.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We ended our Patagonian journey with a four night stay at Awasi Patagonia. We were welcomed by Rosario, the manager. We enjoyed her overall presence, stories and advice very much. What a beautiful place this is The location, opposite the Torrs del Paine, is just amazing. The drive form Cerro Castillo takes 40 minutes and it's about 4,5 hours driving from Punta Arenas Airport. We were staying in bungalow 2 which offered great views over the torres, wide plains where cows and horses grazed and lake Sarmiento. Awesome! The bungalows are beautiful decorated with a nice sitting area, open fire place, comfortable beds, mini bar, bathroom with bath tub, separate shower and toilet. Outside you will find a hot tub. You have to pre order the use of this hot tub as it takes about 5 hours to get it heated. The food is very good, but some dishes were again on the menu after 3 nights. The staff is still being trained in order to fullfill the requests of their demanding clients in a way the guests are accustomed to. The views from the lounges and restaurant are really breathtaking especially during dinner while the sun sets! Cristian was our guide and we enjoyed this enthusiasm and knowledge very much. We particulary liked our trekkings and the glacier tour in the Lago Grey area. We will never forget the icebergs in front of the Grey glacier. Please note that you are in a very priviliged to stay on the private estate of Estancía Tercera Barranca where Awasi is located. This also means that you have to travel a little longer in order to get to the most visited areas of the national park. To the entrance of Sarmiento gate it takes about 40 minutes via a short cut and crossing a river. You will enyou the solitude here, the feeling that you have the place to yourself and a few other priviliged guests! We enyoyed it and hope to get back one day.

Room Tip: Bungalow 2 has much privacy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmotionsTraveler

Dear Guest,

I truly enjoyed reading your very thorough comments and loved the pictures. You were able to capture each element of your time at the reserve from the restaurant, the trails to the villas and even the time at the hot tub. After a long day of exploring through the park of other great places that Cristian might have taken you to, wasn’t it great to return to have it ready for you?

We are the ones that feel privileged to have been chosen by yourself and other guests to be your “home away from home” while you visit the Patagonia. We all thank you for allowing us this great opportunity.

We hope you can visit us soon…maybe sooner than later at our other property in the Atacama Desert?

Let us know whenever you are ready to enjoy the Awasi experience once again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were extremely grateful to have chosen the Awasi experience, highly recommend versus the group tour hotels in the area. Awasi excursions are personalized, private, and free of the typical tourist crowds. There is no specific time to hop on and off a bus, leave hotel, have a scheduled meal, or rush to tour a site. We were the decision makers in every way. After an exerting hike on the first day on the private reserve (not a single other tourist in sight, only a guanaco!), our guide planned a more relaxing hike the following day to allow for some rest time of our muscles.

Our guide, Louis, was fantastic in offering choices and educating us on the flora and fauna of the region. He packed everything imaginable into his backpack. No need to carry water or bring snacks or a lunch. He had it all, including beers and fresh pressed coffee/tea for our breaks!

The entire staff caters to your needs. The chef, Federico, regularly checks on your preferences. He will cook whatever your heart desires and enjoys introducing guests to the local cuisine. My husband has a food allergy and the waitstaff was mindful to inform us of ingredients that may be of concern.

We spent 5 days at the lodge, but could easily have done 7 if you're the adventurous type.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bingler

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comment and of course for naming us “One of a king”.

Your comments are very valuable to us and they surely help us in attaining the level of service we set out to provide our guests.

Louis, Federico and the rest of the team sends their best to you. It was such a pleasure being able to show you around this magnificent place we call home.

We would love to welcome you to Awasi Atacama in a near future and when you are ready, do not hesitate to contact us at anytime.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I am fortunate for this to have been my 3rd trip to Torres del Paine, such an amazing part of the world. My first trip was as a backpacker and I was able to do the W trek and the full Paine circuit camping everywhere, second trip I stayed at another lodge on the western side of the park that offered shared day excursions around the main points of the park. This third time at Awasi Patagonia was certainly the most unique and memorable so far, I feel that I got to know a much more intimate and personal side of Patagonia through the service and experience that Awasi provided.

On this trip we stayed for 4 nights and I traveled with my brother, his first time in Chile and visiting Patagonia.

I can already see this review going on and on so I’ll try to compartmentalize this in the three main areas that Awasi manages to master and blend together into a very unique experience:
The Lodge and Villas: Wow, what a location and undertaking! The lodge consists of a main communal building with bar, restaurant and so many different areas to lounge around in it seems built for a much larger capacity than what they cater to in the number of guests – just 12 individual villas spaced across their land, all connected by walking paths. The thing that always strikes me about Patagonia is the immensity of the landscape and the sky – and Awasi has maximized this view from every villa and every portion of the main lodge. The buildings are cantilevered on stilts so you feel as if you are almost floating above this immense landscape at all times – with sweeping views over Lake Sarmiento and of the Towers front and center. The villas are an absolute charm, coming in at the end of a long day and lounging in front of the wood burning stove while listening to the wind howl outside. We also utilized the wood fired hot tub nightly which was magical, but you need to make sure you give the staff enough advanced notice that you want to use it as it does take time to heat up. Having your own villa instead of a room connected by a hallway in a traditional hotel made us feel like we were actually living there during our stay and not just another hotel guest. It is a walk from the villas to the main lodge, or you can radio from your villa to the lodge to ask to be picked up by their electric golf cart, but I really liked the short walk back and forth as it reminded you of where you were. Another thing I noticed on these walks is that Awasi did an amazing job of building the most luxurious and unique property without really disturbing the landscape, rather than manicured grounds, you notice little piles of random deadfall scattered around, exactly where nature put them and it seems like the lodge was built around nature rather than the other way around. Note that there is no wifi in the villas, only in the main lodge. Some people might find that annoying, and initially I found myself feeling the same withdrawal of 24hr connectivity, but in hindsight I don’t think I would have had the type of brother to brother conversations that we had in the evening over a nice glass of scotch or have been so tuned into the views and sounds surrounding me; the crackle of the fire, the wind, the ever changing light on the towers, the whinny of a horse. Also if you are not in good shape, the walk between the villas and the main lodge could tire you out, but the staff is right there to transport you if requested. They really have made the most serene setting and minimizing the number of vehicles around the property keeps it as this very tranquil setting. As others have mentioned, the location of Awasi Patagonia is quite far from some of the “postcard” spots in the national park boundaries, but for me it was what made it so unique to be away from the masses of crowds and other tourists on the main roads in the heart of the park (more on this later). Also if you are not into spending time driving, Patagonia is probably not a destination for you, the landscape is immense and getting from one side of the park to the other will take you over an hour anyways, but a very enjoyable hour to say the least.

Excursions: The thing that 100% distinguishes Awasi Patagonia from the other lodges at Torres del Paine is that you have your own guide and 4x4 vehicle (nice new Nissan Pathfinders) during your stay so you get to do whatever excursions you want on your own time schedule, not having to compromise with other guests or be herded from place to place. This was an absolute highlight for us both to have this privacy in what we wanted to do. Our guide was awesome, Trisha, originally from Portland, Oregon but having been down in Patagonia for quite some time now and had traveled the word. So conversation was always engaging and she was uber professional but very down to earth and after two days we felt like she was our little sister or something. The excursion booklet provided before you arrive is overwhelming in choice, but once we met Trisha we just said what we liked doing and she quickly suggested excursions over our coming four days, adding that we could change it on the fly depending on how we felt and the weather (which we did and another bonus of having your own private guide and vehicle). We did two hikes within in the park boundaries: The Hike to Valle Frances and we climbed Cerro Ferrier. I had suggested we do the Valle Frances as I wanted to show it to my brother, but it turned out to be the absolute lowlight of our excursions, just so many people on the trail and packed into the catamaran across the lake, vehicle traffic jams at the ferry landing site, tons of traffic on the main park roads, yuck! Cerro Ferrier was amazing and a suggestion of Trisha’s which provided incredible views over the southern Patagonia icecap, the Grey glacier and the Paine massif. But the two best excursions we did were off the beaten path ones that Trisha had suggested and were outside the park boundaries towards where Awasi is located. One we did leaving right from the Villa and hiked up Cerro Contreras behind Awasi. Didn’t see a soul and stood on top of this amazing ridge with 360 degree views and had about a dozen Condors soaring around us! That was just the morning excursion and we had a very chilled lunch back at the lodge and a nap in our villa before going horseback riding in the evening. On the Awasi property, there is a little Gaucho shack where you saddle up and head out to ride. Our ride was short, only about an hour (don’t think my body would have taken more!) but it was the closest I’ve ever felt to have ridden right out of a movie scene. The Gaucho, Diego, was right out of central casting and we galloped across the pampas flushing wildlife out of the brush (Fox, armadillo, ostriches, guanacos, etc) all the while with this tremendous view of Torres del Paine serving as a backdrop. But the absolute highlight was our last full day going to explore an area called Sierra Baguales. A place impossible to capture in pictures or describe accurately, but just absolute wild Patagonia at its most pure and untouched. A crazy landscape that just begged to be explored from ridge to ridge and full of wildlife and fossils. We found ourselves on our hands and knees crawling around in the scree picking up 35 million year old shark teeth and passing around huge chunks of petrified logs to examine. Again, just impossible to describe the area but the absolute highlight of our time at Awasi. My brother and I summed up the experience of having a private guide and her taking us to see this other side of Patagonia and Torres del Paine as going as a tourist to visit friends living in London or New York who take you to real insider places not full of tourists and the postcard views, but exposing you to a real authentic side, the non-published insider places you would never find or explore on your own – and those places and experiences are the ones that stay with you after your visit much more than the ones where you stood and got your picture snapped in front of the postcard scenes. The food provided on excursions was excellent and with radio and satellite phone always at hand, you could see that Awasi took the safety of its guests seriously. So, if you go, be sure to ask your guide to take you to their favorite spots in the area and not just the iconic locations in the park packed with people, you will be very glad you did.

Food: What better than to come back after a day of exploring and have a 4 course dinner prepared for you by an excellent chef! I found the food at Awasi Patagonia to be excellent, very fine dining but not overly so where you are craving just a simple hamburger or something after 3 days. The food was sophisticated but not over the top, real local ingredients, and enough choice and changes each day that we never repeated the same meal twice and tried a few things whenever had had before (guanaco, hare, some local seafood, etc). I will say that the serving and kitchen staff was hit or miss at times. Sometimes the food was out in 5 minutes and at others it took a bit too long. Also the waiters sometimes forgot things like a coffee requested and needed reminding. But I understood that Awasi had only been open for like 3 months so was still working out some of their systems and the chef had just recently changed a few weeks prior to our visit. Regardless the small hiccups in the service there, the staff were all so lovely and engaging, to the point where reminding them of that coffee or beer you ordered was able to be done in a personalized and joking manner. As someone said on a previous review, you felt like the personal house guests of a very wealthy friend rather than “those at table 6 or from villa #11””. Everyone spoke good English and they even entertained our insistence at embarrassing ourselves with lame attempts at Spanish! Also to note, Awasi is all inclusive, all food, alcoholic beverages and excursions are included in the rate so it was so refreshing to not constantly be signing bills and having to think about costs, etc. As my brother kept saying as we left our villa in the morning “how nice does it feel to not have keys or a wallet in your pocket!” It was little things like that which made such a difference.

Every single morning and evening, the different heads of service circulated amongst every table in the restaurant to check in on each guest to see how things were going, this was something that all guests remarked on and was perfect. Ximena looked after the lodging, Rodrigo checked in on excursions, and the Chef himself (Federico?) took time with each table to get feedback and comments, everyone showed a lot of pride and enthusiasm in what they did and seemed to be working well as a team. Which I imagine is not the easiest of things to accomplish with a lodge that is so remote from any town. Asking around with the staff, there were interesting stories of how each of them came to work there; ranging from random encounters with friends of friends, to others who actually found their job through very targeted headhunting agencies in Santiago and Buenos Aires. So it is clear that Awasi really took a lot of time and money in seeking out the right professionals and personalities to come up with this outstanding staff.
So kudos to everyone at Awasi for showing us such an intimate and authentic side of Patagonia, writing this has brought back a flood of memories that will stay with me forever. You really exhibit an art in what you do.

Room Tip: We had Villa 11 which was great, I think they are all the same and each will have the same incredibl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Cusco-ExPat
AwasiAtacama, Manager at Awasi Patagonia - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your thorough and very candid essay on your time with us.

Feedback like yours is not only extremely welcome but thrilling to read and it is what helps us improve each and every day. It’s a bit more intimidating to provide a varied journey through the Patagonia to a seasoned Patagonia traveler as yourself. We certainly remember you and your brother – we only have a few months and can count the ones that have said they’ve been here before…you’re the only one that’s been here more than once. We truly appreciate the fact that you chose us for this 3rd go-around at the “end of the world”, and also to celebrate your brother’s big 4-0!

Glad that Trisha was able to take you guys to see this “hidden gem” at the Patagonia. We love it so much and think it’s such a great place to see…Sierra Baguales.
We heard that Trisha’s singing talents were also showcased during that trip (video on our facebook page!). She is definitely a great Patagonian ambassador – although, she is not originally from the Patagonia, she’s been here long enough to know the jewels that many people don’t know about.

We appreciate the honesty in regards to the restaurant: You’re right, as at the time, the new Executive Chef, Federico had arrived and we were still working out some details but since then have corrected it. You sure are an open-minded traveler! Many people that are a bit set back when trying new items such as hare but you and your brother went right to it – kudos to you!

Hope we can welcome you back to Awasi but this time at the Atacama Desert.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I generally don't use capital letters and exclamation points, but this accommodation deserves them. You have to understand that this is a five star hotel set in the middle of nowhere, at almost the end of what one roadsign reads in Spanish, "Route to the end of the earth". There is no TV and internet wifi only in the main building, which means finding other interesting ways to entertain yourself in the individual villas which make up the hotel's "rooms". Each is elegantly appointed, with a real wood burning fireplace and living room, bar, easy chairs, ottoman and sofa. The king beds are extremely comfortable and the bath has a walk-in wet shower room and separate tub, with a hot tub outside (heated by wood as well). The staff will pick you up and drop you off at any time of the day or evening. The restaurant is 3 star Michelin quality, the food is original and beautifully presented. The wines, think the best outside of France.

This area of Patagonia must be one of the most beautiful places on earth, and the activities allow you to see it. You have your own personal guide for your stay, and can plan horseback riding, mountain biking, hiking at mild or extreme levels of ability or just driving in a 4WD Pathfinder around the National Park there and its surroundings. It's light until 10PM so you can be out for 14 hours at a time if you like. Lunch on your hikes, etc., is served in flower-covered meadows on linen covered portable tables and chairs with three courses and wine. The guides are DVD-drilldown knowledgeable about flora, fauna, geology, history, paleontology, etc. You will think you're at university taking a 5 star class.

The staff is accommodating and wonderful to a person. The place has been open only three months, but you can't tell, everything runs like a well-oiled machine. Don't forget, it's wilderness...there are a couple of towns and sheep shearing and gaucho bronco-busting competitions, but there's asphalt on a minority of the roads most of which are tamped down stone and pebbles.

There is a sister hotel in the north of Chile which is a Relais and Chateau. This Awasi will have the designation by the end of the year I bet. If you love the outdoors, bring your hiking boots and poles and stay at least four days and more if you can. I loved it.

Room Tip: Some have unobstructed mountain and steppe views, others have some pines between the windows and the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

THANK YOU! We normally don’t use capital letters and exclamation points either but your review truly made us use it…guess what? IT DESERVES IT!

Well, we are so glad that you found everything up to par during your stay. It really is the "Route to the end of the earth", but as long as it takes to get there, you sure know it was all worth it.
The mystique that Patagonia holds is something that words cannot express, but once there, it feels like a hundred words are running through your mind trying to take it all in.

We really wanted to also express our joy to see your vote of confidence in us having the Relais & Chateaux designation for Awasi Patagonia. We are definitely working hard and striving for both our “babies” to be a part of this fine association. We’ll keep everyone posted as soon as we have news on this.

We thank you for choosing us and for allowing us to be a part of this journey. We hope that you will also venture off to the Desert and get to know Awasi Atacama.

See you soon,