We stayed here while doing the W circuit in April, shoulder season when the Refugio is not as busy as it gets in the summer.
We were a group of nine; four of us got to sleep in a room with six bunk beds. As in any place you’re sleeping with other people, be prepared with earplugs if you want to get a good rest; one of our roommates ended up sleeping out in a couch (but this can happen anywhere). The room and linens were clean, and an additional sleeping bag that they provided was very useful since there’s no heat inside the rooms.
Bathrooms weren’t as clean. Although it wasn’t busy I had to make a 20 minutes line for the shower, which was hot and had a changing cubicle.
I didn’t find the food as awful as other people describe it in the reviews. For us it was ok, hot, good amount, and it was somewhat varied. We didn’t have to make a long line and the staff was reasonably nice. But again, maybe it was because of the time of the year when we were there.
My advice would be to go with a positive attitude, enjoy the beautiful experience of hiking in Torres del Paine and make the best of your stay there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the shores of Lake Pehoe, Shelter Paine Grande features an amazing view over the mountains. It is the starting point for the hiking trail towards Glacier Grey, French Valley and it is part of the W Trail. The only way to get to Paine Grande is navigating accross the lake or hiking the trails. It features shared bedrooms (only bunk beds) uo to 100 guests. Restrooms features hot water showers with a push-button system to save water. Paine Grande features a cafeteria (daily fixed menus), a minimarket (groceries and souvenirs) and a bar overlooking the lake and mountains. Important: The shelter does not feature a central heating system. Only 2 resting areas feature wooden stoves (only for guests). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Vertice Paine Grande Mountain Shelter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paine Grande Mountain Hotel Torres Del Paine
- Vertice Paine Grande Mountain Shelter Torres Del Paine National Park, Aisen Region, Chile