“Lots of lovely features, but food and drink poor”
Review of Ionian Princess

Ionian Princess
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Acharavi
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Spent a week here with 3 teenage children. Hotel is a lovely size, with well kept gardens, a lovely pool area and a short walk ( 3 mins) to the beach . We had a two bed apartment which was spacious and very clean. Bathroom was better than I expected, with large jacuzzi bath and rainforest shower. Unfortunately, we found the quality and variety of food to be quite poor. So much so, that we ate out every night, and I entered into some protracted negotiations with the manager to get some money back on my booking. Main issues were no variety at all at breakfast with unappetising stale looking poached eggs, no fresh fruit or yoghurts at all and the same 3 cereals. Lunches were the only high point in the day, at the poolside restaurant with usually grilled chicken and Greek salad. Dinner was another matter. Three consecutive nights of potato wedges or spaghetti with completely unrecognisable accompaniments. In addition, cutlery and tableware frequently ran out, with guests standing around waiting for replacements. "All inclusive" guests had to queue, school dinners style to collect red or white wine which appeared to be rationed from a tiny table and fridge.
Bar service was also poor by the pool: on day one, I was told to go to another bar for beer as the barrel had been changed and it was too gassy. Despite a standard cocktail menu , the barman could only offer an undrinkable ( unusually even for me) green drink heavy on ouzo. When we returned from a day out and I asked for a gin and tonic, I was told there was no gin, and offered vodka. This was the final straw. I was told that I could get one from the lobby bar which would open in an hour....
When I spoke to the receptionist , I was told that many people complain about the food, but the manager won't listen. I itemised all my specific issues and met with him. I didn't want to spend my precious holiday time on this but was very frustrated.
On the very positive side, Ishmael and victoria from the animation team were outstanding. They worked tirelessly to keep everyone happy and we all enjoyed water polo, volley ball etc etc.
in short, if you choose this hotel , I would NOT go all inclusive, and don't expect great food or service. Shame because the setting and facilities are very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank muttiHertsUk
There are newer reviews for Ionian Princess

Reviewed 29 July 2014

im going to write a full and honest review of this hotel . we stayed for 10 nights in july . the location of this hotel is superb . a 4 min walk down a side road slap bang in the middle of acharavi . when u exit the hotel from the pool area you are a 1 min walk to the beach . first impressions were good . the hotel complex is very nice well maintained and clean . we had a top floor 1 bed apartment wich was very nice . we even had a Jacuzzi bath with a shower above and a shower curtain . ans out balcony view was superb looking over the gardens towards the swimming pool . we also received maid service daily .we choose the all inclusive option . but upon arrival was told this only included local beer , wine and soft drinks . if we wanted spirits or cocktails we were asked to pay and extra 5 euros a day per person. being a lads holiday and mainly beer drinkers . we declined and stayed as we we're. . I must say the beer was very good and always served cold. the staff at the hotel were very good and hard working . special praise to maria in reception . always smiling and always on hand to help with any questions . then there was nickos in the restaurant again very pleasant and helpfull . costas the barman at the pool bar and the animtion team ishmail and barbera .all very good at looking after the guests . the other thing that was good is we were the only brits there . we made some great friends from all over Europe . and everyone seemed to mix very well . now for the bad points . a lack of sun loungers around the pool is never a good thing . u could for 5 euros a day hire 2 sun beds and a umbrella for the day . but being a pool person it wasn't good enough in my view . now for the worst . the food in my opinion was not great . first and foremost it was very samey each day . there was plenty to choose from and it all seemed to be cooked very well and presented well to . but the meat was awfull . it was very cheap cuts and somtimes very chewy . at lunch they often had chicken . but I actually failed to find any chicke wotsoever it was just skin and bone . I didn't even resemble a cut of chiken that I would know ie leg , wing , thigh or breast . the food was so bad we ate out most days . . overall we had a fantastic time in a very nice complex only a few gripes mainly food . but we got our money worth from the bar . and the price of the holiday was very reasonable . would I stay there again? yeh I probably would . if I got it for the right price again . I would say this hotel is a extremely good 3 star not quite a 4 star as sold . if the few issues mentioned were sorted . then definitely a 4 star . I hope this review is helpfull and imformative to others staying there

3  Thank gary23577
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for a week. We went All inclusive
Food was not very good. And very repetitive. Drinks were a big disappointment unless you like flat juice beer or wine. Don't expect local spirits like vodka that is extra if you wanted water it was served in a small plastic cup
Sun loungers at the pool are included but not towels sun loungers on beach not included You have to upgrade to £5 per day to get local spirits and sun lounger on the beach All inclusive stops at 11 pm.
The rooms are very nice but what let them down were the showers. The cubicle had no door or curtain so the floor got soaking wet. This is a problem for people with disabilities
The hotel is not disability friendly to get to restaurant wheel chair users had to go round the side of hotel. The steps down to restaurant does not have railings
The hotel is lovely and very peaceful but because of the faults I would not class this as 4 star

2  Thank foster6
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The perfect hotel, for a nice holiday. The staff was very helpful, we especially liked kostas at the pool bar, Awesome guy. And jiannis at the beach bar! I would recommend this for families.
We had a problem in the beginning because we order a twin room and we were 2 adults and a child but the mananger got us an apartment for free instead. The only thing is that the food could have been better. But all in all we had a very nice vacation. Thaaanks to kostas and the other staff.

3  Thank Kristoffernyvoll
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'm from Russia so I don't speak good English ....
I want to tell that these holidays I have always in my mind! Perfect hotel perfect people and my love barman Kostas ....
The best coktails and the best barman who I have ever seen ... I hope to meet you again Kostas next summer in pool bar ....
Ann!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Morfonios
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We visited Ionian Princess last summer with our children. The hotel is quite lovely.It has great view & It is not too big. The beach is wonderful. It is the best beach i've ever been. The hotel is 2' from the beach & 2' from the center of Acharavi village.The hotel has also a beach bar & beach chairs for us. Its architecture is traditional enough.Corfu island is great, full of exceptional beaches with unique view. The rooms are very confortable. All in all our vacations were quite relaxing. Hotel's cuisine is something that you have to try yourself. Lunches & Dinners are full of Mediteranean & Greek specialties. I suggest you the local dishes and the greek donuts (lukumades) for breakfast. Animation team offers a good program for children. Our children had a very good time with them.A lot of fun.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank TeniaTsak
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Overall, our holidays were great. Our suite was just perfect! We enjoy the sea view & the big jacuzzi tab. The staff was polite enough . Animation ladies did a very good job. Our children had a lot of fun. Acharavi has a great beach & the beach bar of the hotel makes the best fresh juices i've ever taste! We cant wait to come back.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank klum678
Also consider these accommodations in or near Acharavi
Mareblue Beach Resort
#20 of 39 in Sidari
Alexandros
Alexandros
#8 of 9 in Perama

Been to Ionian Princess? Share your experiences!