“Charmant boutique hotel”

Arro Khampa Shangrila By Zinc Journey
Ranked #4 of 178 Hotels in Shangri-La County
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

After a long journey of travelling, Arro Kumpa made our first time in China memorable. This small boutique hotel is in the old Town of Shengri-la, the room is very nice, good design with high quality of decoration, very comfortable especially its big bed! We had a BBQ dinner with the beautiful view of the temple. Hotel owner and his staff have an excellent service mind...we are appreciated.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a fabulous hotel and the owner and manager are wonderful and were of great assistance to me. I stayed one night, after a flight was cancelled and I missed out on staying two nights. The hotel is clean, well-maintained, located right in the centre of the old town. From the front facade it doesn't look like a large space but once you enter the doors it's beautiful inside with lovely wood panelling and stone. It's been well-maintained and has a beautiful outlook at the nearby temple. The service here was exceptional - I was putting together two bicycles whilst staying and the owner was so kind to find a local second hand pump for me after discovering that my pump didn't work on the tires I had for the wheels. Nothing was too difficult when requested and we were made to feel at home. It doesn't really have a hotel feel about it, more a boutique guest house, but one that is modern yet still maintaining traditional charm and authentic architecture. The breakfast was ample and delicious and the dinner was great. I had the hot pot which again was massive. My partner had the yak, which wasn't to our taste but good to try in the area. Highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: A second floor room looking from the balcony over at the temple gives you a beautiful morning view a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xdaisyj
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I found it through my friends and spent really wonderful time there for few days traveling in Shangrila. The location is very good and so convenient to the old town, actually, it's close to the famous temple inside of the old town. I was surprised when I walked in cause there's a long special Tibetan style corridor, very impressive. I also like the view outside through the room you can see the temple directly, very cool place. The room is clean and comfortable, equipment is new. And also, it's a place to meet new friends there. Strongly suggest it to friends and will come back again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms with outside view for temple is best choice
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
9  Thank Jackie L
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I along with my wife went to Shangri-La.. I had heard a lot about this Hotel and we made a plan to try it out. Nevertheless, i got more than what i was expected. The Hotel room`s decoration is very good along with great location. i suggest the travellers to stay and get full value to your money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Nishedh D
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Had to visit Shangri-La for some business purpose, and after some search thought to try this out. Though, I had to stay in Shangrila for more than a week, i just booked for a day to ensure that the place was good else I could choose some other options. But I ended up staying the whole 10 days in Arro Khampa itself.

It's said that the first impression is all that counts and for this they made their point. I was offered a free pickup to the airport where I was welcomed with a warm towel and a hot cup of ginger tea. I didn't expect this much from this hotel but then I must agree they exceeded my expectations every time.
Its truly a wonderful hotel, nicely designed, very hospitable and the main things are they take care of those small things which brings a smile in your face. They even had a pet deer which could be seen in the early morning grazing the grasses in the backyard of the hotel.

Moreover they have very comfortable rooms and also provide individual hi-speed wifi for every rooms, and the floor heater was a great relief since the month was Jan..the views from the rooftop was great and they have great F&B offers to enjoy a nice meal in the rooftop with a perfect view of the monastery.

They even arranged us a hiking trip to the nearby mountains and it was good, and the lunch with the local Tibetan family was one of a kind..Overall a well manged hotel and had a wonderful experience staying there.

Room Tip: Suites are better than rooms with only a little difference in price, go for it if its available else...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Bikashkabariya
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We were just there for two nights, but this is a lovely place. Service a little fuzzy, but warm and welcoming. Nicely decorated rooms and a real Tibetan feel to the place.
Doesn't get the feeling of being crowded, great location in old town.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Alan Y
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We spent 3 nights late October at Arro Khampa and loved every minute of our stay. There are only 17 rooms in this hotel and the way the rooms are designed you don't even feel that there are at least a dozen other people around. I didn't find out who designed the hotel but would love to tell him/her that of all hotels in Yunnan we have stayed this is the best and the most tastefully appointed. The view from the veranda overlooking the town's main monastery is truly spectacular. The lobby is very cozy and welcoming with the fire lit in the fireplace and the ginger tea is always at the ready.

In my personal opinion, it's the staff and services that actually make the hotel and at Arro Khampa, their young staff are trying their best to serve regardless of their lack of proper training or their poor English. I would like to single out Norjie who is the front supervisor who speaks good English and always tries her best to assist her guest.

Breakfast needs to be tweaked a lot more as the chef seems not to grasp the essential basics for western breakfast. This could be ironed out quite easily with serious training from F&B manger, I hope.

I would love to go back to Shangri-la and Arro Khampa again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor facing the monastery are best for views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank wichanee
Mendes C, Director Global Operations at Arro Khampa Shangrila By Zinc Journey, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Wichanee,

Kob Khun Krap and thank you very much for your lovely review about Zinc Journey Arro Khampa.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us during your visit to Shangri-la. We are constantly trying to improve our product and services to assure offering the best possible to our guests. You would be delighted to hear that our newest member of Arro Khampa, joining us as Sous Chef, is a Thai National with several years of experience in luxury hotels in Dubai. This will certainly add tremendous value to our existing family and make the F&B a whole new experience on its own in Shangri-la.

You may have seen that we are adding a new roof top lounge to our facilities, which is opening on 23 November 2013. Serving delicious goodies like tapas, pizzas and great drinks will provide an additional experience for our gourmand guests.

We hope to welcome you back with us again soon.

Proudly at your service,