“Not a 5 Star!”
Review of Paradise Hotel

Paradise Hotel
Ranked #19 of 179 Hotels in Shangri-La County
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Paradise hotel for 3 nights as part of a China tour with Uniworld. All the other hotels on the tour were true 5 star places (room size, cleanliness, amenities, staff, etc.); the Paradise was not. Rooms need a major renovation - carpet was filthy, bathroom grout moldy, and the bed was rock hard (we think it was just a box spring). Most staff did not understand English (I needed ice to keep medication cold - no refrigerator), and had difficulty communicating this every time I called. Another couple in our group were going to use the pool, but it was freezing - such a nice looking pool, and no one used it in the time we were there....

I am not sure how the other hotels in the area are, but I would certainly look for something better if you are expecting 5 star.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CinR

Reviewed 5 June 2011

From many of the reviews I was expecting to stay in a very nice hotel. I was sorely disappointed the moment I checked in. There was confusion on the amount of money they wanted me to leave for a deposit. Then I walked almost 10 minutes down a dark hall to my room that stunk with cigarette smoke. They told me that no other rooms were available and that they would send someone to "spray". No one ever came. The refrigerator was broken and when my local guide called, they said that is how it is. the room was small and cramped. Both the chinese and western breakfast buffet were horrible.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank dragon0419
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Our guide told us this was the best hotel in Shangri-la and we were not disappointed. A Chinese five star hotel, equivalent to a European four. The hotel also has the benefit of a large pool, although we didn’t use it.

We had a spacious, pleasant room, with what the Chinese apparently call a European bathroom (having a glass wall between the bedroom and bath, though I am pleased to say the loo and separate shower were both out of view). Our flat screen TV had three English language channels, CCTV 9, HBO and Discovery and the internet was freely available from a well equipped desk.

Hotel Check-in (and out) was fast and efficient and quite a nice touch was the complementary, airline style essentials pack on arrival. Service was actually good here, but as with a lot of Chinese hotels, the staff seemed quite reluctant to make the first move.

Our only main criticism is the location of the ‘coffee shop’ restaurant, which is used for breakfast, drinks and light meals, as it is located in the main lobby area and proved to be really quite chilly and uninviting. There is an English menu and food is good, though the Chinese eat dinner early here, so there is little atmosphere after 7:00. The buffet breakfast offers Chinese, English and Tibetan food. Well at least you can say you tried Yak's butter tea.

We also had altitude problems here, resulting in breathlessness, headaches, sleeplessness and nausea. Nothing to do with the hotel, more to do with the local area ranging in altitude between 3,400 and 4,000 meters. We were given some pills on the plane (which apparently are herbal based and are to be sucked every three hours) and encouraged to leave off the alcohol, drink ginger tea (delicious), eat chocolate and drink plenty of water. The symptoms only lasted a day or so and after that I would advise you to head for the large Carrefour’s in town, where you will find some very drinkable wine at affordable prices.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chinarog
Reviewed 16 November 2008

We were initially checked into Pacific Rim Hotel as part of a trip booked from ctrip.com but the hotel had no heating. We decided that trying to sleep in a 5 degree room was impossible and moved to Paradise Hotel on the same day. Our expectations weren't very high given the first accomodation so Paradise Hotel was a pleasant surprise.

Check in was efficient. Took us only a few minutes to get our room. But as the mentioned by the previous reviewer, you may encounter problems if you cannot communicate in Mandarin. The staff aren't exactly bi-lingual.

We had the basic Tibetan style room which was quaint and beautifully furnished. Most importantly, it was nice and warm inside! The fruit basket was also a welcomed sight and it was topped up each day with fresh bananas, apples and chinese pears. There was also a humidifier to reduce dryness in the room . The bed was typical of chinese hotels - hard but not too bad.

The bathroom was large and I loved the glass shower stall which gave plenty of room to move around. Toiletries were provided including travel size Colgate toothpaste, toothbrush, oatmeal soap, body moisturizer, shampoo and shower foam. There were bathrobes and bedroom slippers as well.

The hotel spa was under renovation when we were there. And it appears that there's only 1 restaurant in operation. We had both breakfast and dinner at this same restaurant. There was a Chinese - Western spread at breakfast. Having tried both, I can say for certain the Chinese is much much better. Coffee is pretty good unlike most Chinese hotels! I understand it's because Yunnan coffee ranks as the best in China. Dinner consisted mainly of Chinese homestyle cooking e.g kungpao chicken, mapo tofu. Dishes are huge. We ordered 3 dishes to share between 2 girls and we only managed to eat 1/2 of everything.

On the overall, we had a great stay and trip in Shangri-la, encountering no altitude sickness even when we reached 4500m above sea level. If you are worried about the altitude, there are plenty of shops selling bottled oxygen. Paradise hotel also has an oxygen bar.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hainult
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Date: July 24, 2008:
reviewer: Vincent &Karin S. from Holland
Stuation: This Hotel is situated at the 3300m high Valley, close to Tibet mountains. The low amount of oxigen in the air can give you a headache and you might get restless as you are searching for fresh air.
Arriving late at 21.00 hours in this 5 star Hotel, we were forced to pay upfront and soon found out why. We got a room in which it was over 25 Celsius and the airco was off. Only the fan worked a bit to give the impression of a airco. It took us an annoying hour with 3 different hotel managers, who suddenly spoke less english than during Check-in and were using all non relevant excuses to not give us what we paid for. After getting at almost shouting level we finally got an other room, completely without airco but at least we could open the window.
The Next day we were asked to move out again to a standard room because it was 20 euro's cheaper (although the hotel was half empty due to low season). Also there only the window provided fresh air, but unfortunately you had to close the window at 18.00 because there are no insect screens on the windows. At night i stood up several times with a big headache and opened the room door and started with a towel to move some fresh air in to the room.
Next mornig we wanted to get a full Spa treatment with massages etc. , But it was closed due to maintenance!
The indoor swimming pool was without any chlorid, probably because it is in the middel of the hotel atrium and next to the restaurants, so nobody dared swimming in there. We also never saw a poolmen checking the water quality.
Than we went to the business center downstairs to arrange a taxi to some sites. ( The taxi drivers do not speak one word of english)We ended up in the wrong place and spent a fortune with out own mobile phone to communicate between The hotel, the texidriver and ourselves.
When ordering dinners half of the served platters where NOT what we ordered.
Paradise it was not.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 June 2007

This hotel's English name is Paradise Hotel, and it does live up to the name. I was a plush option before going to Tibet.

ROOMS: Rooms are spacious and decorated in a modern, minimalist style. They are also extremely clean, including the bathrooms. The bathrooms even have a nifty glass shower door that doubles as a bathroom door. Bathrooms come with both showers and tubs.

My only complaint is that if you're not traveling with your spouse, the bathroom situation can be awkward since the glass door doesn't provide much privacy.

LOCATION: This hotel is about a 30-minute walk, 15-minute bus ride, or 7-minute taxi ride to the Old Town.

There are a lot of small restaurants and shops nearby.

STAFF: I had only limited interaction with the staff, so I didn't notice anything particular good or bad about their service.

FOOD: The hotel restaurant is really good. We had dinner and breakfast there, and the dinner was one of the best I had in Yunnan. The dishes have interesting twists to them that you don't see in standard hotel restaurants.

MISC: You might experience some altitude sickness in Shangri-la, so be sure to rest up and drink water.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank madridtripper
Reviewed 25 December 2006

Judging from the interior deco, Tian Jie is indeed a 5-star hotel. Greenery abound in this enclosed garden set around the hotel. Very pretty. I only spent a night there and did not manage to try the oxygen bar (sounds like a god-send for many who suffer from altitude-sickness there) The breakfast isn't that great (perhaps our appetites are affected by the altitude)
Generally a nice hotel with friendly staff. I remember smiles wherever I go.

• Stayed: December 2006