“Five star...shangrila standard” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 159 Hotels in Shangri-La County
Quezon city
“Five star...shangrila standard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

The good thing about reading my fellow trip advisor' reviews is that it puts your expectations in the proper perspective. Two star instead of five star in one review... I just prayed that the hotel our tour group was staying would at least be CLEAN and COMFORTABLE. I was PLEASANTLY SURPRiSED! I think that china has improved tremendously in the past few years. But when one travels to far-flung places like shangrila, I learned to judge hotels still by local standards. Paradise hotel by shangrila standard is FIVE STAR. Of course, the carpet is old and stained in some parts but actually clean. If it wasn't, my allergic prone nose would not survive the night. I was told that the air conditioning is centralized and temperature controlled. It even stops at 2 am when temperature drops in this high mountainous place. Fortunately, while you won't feel the air conditioning, it's not hot and the blanket thickness is just right too. The breakfast spread was varied and again, surprisinglly good. The service at the reception was good too and their English quite understandable.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I was scheduled to be here for 2 nights but had to check out after the first. Some of the problems encountered included: The room was filthy dirty, and the carpets were so dirty I couldn't even walk barefoot on them; the air conditioning didn't work; the beds are so hard it was like sleeping on a slab of concrete; it was so noisy that I couldn't sleep-between the people in the hotel screaming in the lobby and in the halls, to the cats screeching and fighting outside our window, it was intolerable; the Internet was so bad I could net get Internet access from the room or lobby and no one was able to help me; there was no cell phone reception in the rooms; the breakfast was so crowded that there were no tables to sit at, and the coffee ran out by 7:45 and I couldn't get coffee; in order to drink out of a glass in the lobby or restaurant, there was a sign posted that the glasses were dirty and the guests needed to wash their own glasses (disgusting). I would NEVER recommend anyone stay here. Although the (non-English speaking) staff was upset that me experience was so bad, I just had to get out of there. Read the other reviews and you will know to stay away.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Arnold W
atlanta, ga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

From the outside this place looks OK, but get inside and it is not. Lobby cold, which does not put you in a good mood. Once you get past the lobby the carpet is dirty in hallway and room. Room small and bed is very hard. TV is pitiful. Bathroom is also pitiful. A strange set up as part of the bathroom area is out in the room with a glass wall around it. The bathtub is in this walled off area across from the sink and vanity. The shower and toilet are in an area behind this strange set up of tub and vanity and it is appropriately closed off in its on area with a door. The shower is moldy, but to get the dust off from your body (Shangri-La is very dry and dusty), you are glad to have a shower and just have to ignore the mold.
Dining room is located off the cold lobby and is big. The food is less than acceptable. I had to hunt to find something I would eat. Finally got fruit, bread, baked beans and fried potatoes. Juice and coffee were terrible. They do have forks and knives, which helps.
I would not want to stay in this hotel again and sorry that I was in it for 2 nights. Saw one or two other large hotels in Shangri-La , but do not know anything about them. They looked newer than the Paradise, but do not know that for sure.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank aug30
Cambridge, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Paradise hotel for 3 nights as part of a China tour with Uniworld. All the other hotels on the tour were true 5 star places (room size, cleanliness, amenities, staff, etc.); the Paradise was not. Rooms need a major renovation - carpet was filthy, bathroom grout moldy, and the bed was rock hard (we think it was just a box spring). Most staff did not understand English (I needed ice to keep medication cold - no refrigerator), and had difficulty communicating this every time I called. Another couple in our group were going to use the pool, but it was freezing - such a nice looking pool, and no one used it in the time we were there....

I am not sure how the other hotels in the area are, but I would certainly look for something better if you are expecting 5 star.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CinR
Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

From many of the reviews I was expecting to stay in a very nice hotel. I was sorely disappointed the moment I checked in. There was confusion on the amount of money they wanted me to leave for a deposit. Then I walked almost 10 minutes down a dark hall to my room that stunk with cigarette smoke. They told me that no other rooms were available and that they would send someone to "spray". No one ever came. The refrigerator was broken and when my local guide called, they said that is how it is. the room was small and cramped. Both the chinese and western breakfast buffet were horrible.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank dragon0419
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

Our guide told us this was the best hotel in Shangri-la and we were not disappointed. A Chinese five star hotel, equivalent to a European four. The hotel also has the benefit of a large pool, although we didn’t use it.

We had a spacious, pleasant room, with what the Chinese apparently call a European bathroom (having a glass wall between the bedroom and bath, though I am pleased to say the loo and separate shower were both out of view). Our flat screen TV had three English language channels, CCTV 9, HBO and Discovery and the internet was freely available from a well equipped desk.

Hotel Check-in (and out) was fast and efficient and quite a nice touch was the complementary, airline style essentials pack on arrival. Service was actually good here, but as with a lot of Chinese hotels, the staff seemed quite reluctant to make the first move.

Our only main criticism is the location of the ‘coffee shop’ restaurant, which is used for breakfast, drinks and light meals, as it is located in the main lobby area and proved to be really quite chilly and uninviting. There is an English menu and food is good, though the Chinese eat dinner early here, so there is little atmosphere after 7:00. The buffet breakfast offers Chinese, English and Tibetan food. Well at least you can say you tried Yak's butter tea.

We also had altitude problems here, resulting in breathlessness, headaches, sleeplessness and nausea. Nothing to do with the hotel, more to do with the local area ranging in altitude between 3,400 and 4,000 meters. We were given some pills on the plane (which apparently are herbal based and are to be sucked every three hours) and encouraged to leave off the alcohol, drink ginger tea (delicious), eat chocolate and drink plenty of water. The symptoms only lasted a day or so and after that I would advise you to head for the large Carrefour’s in town, where you will find some very drinkable wine at affordable prices.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chinarog
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

We were initially checked into Pacific Rim Hotel as part of a trip booked from ctrip.com but the hotel had no heating. We decided that trying to sleep in a 5 degree room was impossible and moved to Paradise Hotel on the same day. Our expectations weren't very high given the first accomodation so Paradise Hotel was a pleasant surprise.

Check in was efficient. Took us only a few minutes to get our room. But as the mentioned by the previous reviewer, you may encounter problems if you cannot communicate in Mandarin. The staff aren't exactly bi-lingual.

We had the basic Tibetan style room which was quaint and beautifully furnished. Most importantly, it was nice and warm inside! The fruit basket was also a welcomed sight and it was topped up each day with fresh bananas, apples and chinese pears. There was also a humidifier to reduce dryness in the room . The bed was typical of chinese hotels - hard but not too bad.

The bathroom was large and I loved the glass shower stall which gave plenty of room to move around. Toiletries were provided including travel size Colgate toothpaste, toothbrush, oatmeal soap, body moisturizer, shampoo and shower foam. There were bathrobes and bedroom slippers as well.

The hotel spa was under renovation when we were there. And it appears that there's only 1 restaurant in operation. We had both breakfast and dinner at this same restaurant. There was a Chinese - Western spread at breakfast. Having tried both, I can say for certain the Chinese is much much better. Coffee is pretty good unlike most Chinese hotels! I understand it's because Yunnan coffee ranks as the best in China. Dinner consisted mainly of Chinese homestyle cooking e.g kungpao chicken, mapo tofu. Dishes are huge. We ordered 3 dishes to share between 2 girls and we only managed to eat 1/2 of everything.

On the overall, we had a great stay and trip in Shangri-la, encountering no altitude sickness even when we reached 4500m above sea level. If you are worried about the altitude, there are plenty of shops selling bottled oxygen. Paradise hotel also has an oxygen bar.

• Liked — quality of the rooms
  • Disliked — lack of any night entertainment
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends