“Heaven on Earth”

Potatso National Park
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I absolutely loved this place. I live and work in an industrial area in China where the sky is always grey, polluted and depressing and I miss the greenery and clear skies of home, England. This place was absolute heaven for me. Clear blue sky, clear water, animals roaming free, rolling green , breathtaking scenery etc... The entrance fee is a little harsh but it is absolutely worth it, especially if you make it a full day visit. You will be taken on a bus up to the lakes and wetlands and allowed to choose one of 2 main paths to walk. The scenery is stunning and the wildlife and calmness of it all is a breath of (literally) fresh air. If you are one whole loves wildlife, great natural scenery, walking, fresh air and something that is outdorrsy and relaxing - this is for you.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I went with a few of my Chinese friends here while traveling in Shangri-la in mid-June. As someone from America who has been to plenty of parks, Pudacuo was average at best. Yes, it was pretty and fortunately the weather was great, but it wasn't worth ¥258 (plus transportation to and from Shangri-la), and it was overly managed and artificial. We were shuttled to a pathway, walked for an hour, and then were shuttled around until we got to another walkway where we walked for another hour. Two of my friends spent hours taking pictures and said they had a great time, but me and another friend were 无聊死了 (bored to death).

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who is interested in actually exploring nature or real hiking (there are definitely better places, and if you want an actual, although longer, real hike, do 梅里雪山 or Tiger Leaping Gorge). However, if you like taking cute pictures and taking an easy (but expensive) stroll, then go for it.

1  Thank Savannah D
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Beautiful national park, however very controlled. Not like Americas parks. You have to stay on a wooden walkway. They even have video cameras and loud speakers to yell at anyone who "steps on the grass"!

1  Thank Martinj911
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Maybe it was because we didn't opt for the boat tour or do more hiking by foot, but for all the hype and promotion of the many species here, all we saw were Yaks. Also the bus that carries you around the massive grounds is blasting Mandarin music so loudly that even those who understood it seemed annoyed. They also drove so fast around curves we were worried we would flip over. It is a nice park, but if you've been to other national parks anywhere in the world, it's beauty is nothing notable. The explanation for our dismal experience may have been that we weren't there at the peak season for either the floral blossoms or bird migrations.

1  Thank Sharif_K_Canadian
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Lovely scenery. Reminded me of Scottish highlands - but think that may have been due to the time of year. It was off-season, flakes of snow and food only available at park entrance.