“Pleasant lunch”
Review of Parkhotel Holzner

Parkhotel Holzner
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Soprabolzano
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We took the cable car up to Oberbozen and went to the hotel for lunch. We sat on the terrace and enjoyed the view with a cool breeze on a very hot day. The food was reasonable although not exciting. The staff were very efficient and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Parkhotel Holzner

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Oh God, this hotel is absolutely marvellous. The review below that said the rooms are somehow old-fashioned made me laugh, because one of the fabulous things about the hotel is that the original Art-Deco style in the reception rooms is immaculately preserved and beautifully maintained! Even the light fittings are original, and incredibly lovely.

Where do I start with my praise? The staff are fantastic and you become quietly aware over your stay of the deep pride they have in this establishment. And some of them have been there for decades.

I must also mention our fellow guests who were without exception the most courteous fellow guests I've ever come across. Not annoyingly over-friendly, just courteous. As soon as they recognise you, they nod quietly. It's hard to describe. And although the place is stuffed to the gunwales with young families, not once were we irked by a wailing child or a spoiled toddler. Many of the groups holidaying together were not only three-generational, they had been going there for years and years.

Position couldn't be more convenient. It's beside the cable car that brings you up from Bolzano, and also the narrow-gauge railway that will trundle you to Klobenstein. You can hear neither of these from a few yards away, incidentally.

There's a ton to do at the hotel - they've thought of everything. Little pedal cars for toddlers, wooden steps up to the reception desk and a colouring sheet for children bored while their parents talk to the reception staff. Tennis courts. A marvellous, ultra-modern indoor and outdoor pool connected by a narrow channel. A lovely garden that supplies the hotel flowers. And every morning they produce a leaflet ("journal") suggesting things to do, activities that the hotel is arranging, and giving interesting bits of local history.

Breakfast is simply the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. A wonderful array of food displayed in portions that are constantly replenished and never get a bit dry and curled up. Bread you can slice yourself. Eggs and pancakes freshly cooked as you like them on a griddle and served with a flourish and a smile. Oranges you can squeeze yourself (in a proper orange squeezer, I should add), and a veg juicer. And the most delicious cakes and pastries that disappear too quickly. Just fabulous.

If I have a tip for British travellers, it is that the food in the restaurant was very salty to our taste. We learned on night 3 to say, "not too salty" when we made our order, and enjoyed the food much better as a result.

Also, it is a surprise that there's such a small choice of food on offer in the dining room. Three starters, three mains and two puddings or cheeseboard. My partner was disappointed by this, he'd have liked more choice, but to my mind it means that everything is wonderfully fresh. And South Tyrolean food is slightly heavy compared with modern British food - lots of dumplings! - and as I adore dumplings, this was a dream for me. But my partner is not a dumpling fancier, so I add this just in case it affects your choice. I think if we go back (and I certainly hope we do) I might be more adventurous and not do half-board, so that we have a choice. There are other places to eat in the area, and I have no doubt the hotel would arrange transport because there seemed to be nothing they wouldn't do for you.

All in all, this is a remarkable hotel - 4 generations in the same family - in a ravishing part of the world. The beauty is heartstopping - I cannot reccommend it too heartily.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MIssDillie
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This part of the world is like a fairy tale and the best way to enjoy it is Holzner.
The staff was omnipresent and ready to help in any way.
The food was excellent.
And I was happy to show off my pink tennis shoes when I got home (red clay courts).
We had 2 new, very modern rooms a bit away from the main building so it was as quiet and as functional as could be.
Kids are well cared for it looks so it makes for some pretty happy adults in a very friendly atmosphere.
We're going back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: take the 3 rooms in their own little building just off the main preoperty - best of all worlds.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I've been going to this hotel since I was 6 years old (21 now), and it really is a home away from home. The Holzner find a way to make this hotel an upscale and sophisticated vacation retreat while still being an extremely family-style environment. The grounds are vast and beautiful, and the upgrades over the past few years (spa, pool, ...) have really brought the place to a new level. Soprabolzano is a paradise in the Alps, and I would never consider going anywhere else when traveling in the area.

Room Tip: The 4 rooms down below by the garden are absolutely beautiful and perfect in the summer. You have y...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My husband & I plan to have a big 10yr anniversary celebration in Soprabolzano and in order to check out the hotels and town, we made a reservation at Hotel Bergfink which is a sister property to Holzner. We were lucky enough to have been moved (Bergfink is very nice too) to Park Hotel Holzner and had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool and valley/mountains. The bathroom was sparkling (I think the floors were heated), the bed was comfortable, there was a nice little enclosed sun room/sitting room and a massive balcony. The Holtzner, while upscale, still feels very comfortable and welcoming and I highly recommend sitting at the old bar for a drink. The staff was cordial, efficient and informative. We didn't have a chance to try the food but when we come back, we will make it a point to do so. There are other hotels in Soprabolzano but the Holzner has the best location and after looking at many other properties, would always return to this location. Holzner is going to be the hotel we recommend to all our guests for our anniversary party as well.
One thing to note, it's a very family focused property so if you're looking for peace & quiet free of kids, this may not be your cup of tea.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, I'd suggest one not over the pool but rather on the side away from the tram.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I have stayted at ParkHotel Holzner 3 times, and cannot praise it highly enough, and I hope to continue to stay there regularly for the rest of my life. The food is superb, the accommodation the epitome of comfort and understated (and classic Art Nouveau) elegance (though the bathrooms are internal and dull, everything works beautifully). I have always stayed on the Jugendstil side of the hotel, every room having access to a private balcony or terrace, and glorious views across the lawns and valley to the Rosengarten Dolomites. The staff knock themselves out to be accommodating, and although my friend and I are some of the few non German or Italian speaking guests, ensure that for our stay a menu is posted in English as well as German and Italian. The food is sublime, and healthy. On our third visit, we were welcomed at the official opening of the new spa complex, at which the local priest blessed the facility (including nude sun-bahing area). The cable car (next to the hotel) runs regularly, giving easy access to and from Bolzano, which has fantastic shopping and cafes, as well as Ozti the Iceman in the local museum; the hotel also lay on a car to meet the 5.30pm train from Verona. Many guests come for a walking holiday, and the surroundings on the Ritten plateau incredibly beautiful and refreshing. Not a cheap break, but excellent value.

Room Tip: Go for the higher priced Jugendstil rooms, facing the Rosengarten.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This is a brilliant hotel nestled in the mountains above Bolzano. It looks like a "Hansel and Gretle" house! Views are truly stunning over the valley and well placed for transport down to Bolzano city (the cable car is next door), and the mountain railway is minutes away. Breakfast in truly amazing and the staff very helpful. It caters primarily for German and Austrian guests, but the team went out of their way to ensure that English visitors were made to feel welcome. It's great that you get a free pass for the cable cars and public transport too! Most people stay half board. The evening meal is from a set menu until 8:30PM (included in the half board rate) and a la carte after that. The only negative was that this timing distinction was made clear so we sadly missed the a la carte dinner due to other plans. Facilities such as the pool, bar and beaty centre are stunning. All in all, a superb hotel, representing good value in a great location. In many ways, I shouldn't write this review, as the Bolzano region isn't known to English visitors very much and I'd like to keep this little gem secret!!! Well worth a visit to see a different part of Italy.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have stunning views over the valley but are more expensive. Rooms at the back lo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soprabolzano
Hotel Bergfink
#3 of 4 in Soprabolzano
Tann
Tann
#1 of 16 in Renon

Been to Parkhotel Holzner? Share your experiences!