“Absolutely amazing - a memorable experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Usk
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing - a memorable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Staying at this hotel has been a real highlight of 2013. I have travelled extensively around the world and have to say this is one of the loveliest hotels I have stayed in. Usk is a pretty town in Wales. Very green and peaceful. The hotel is in a lovely setting but what makes this hotel outstanding is the staff, the service and the food.
We enjoyed the most delicious dinner there on a Saturday night and have to commend Javier on his wonderful service. The staff were very attentive and friendly..smiles all round. Alex, one of the owners is a real credit to this hotel and I cannot praise him highly enough. We arrived at around 4pm on Saturday and the staff went out of their way to prepare us an afternoon tea..which again was superb.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as we will definitely return. It is a quiet haven away from the hustle and bustle plus they allow pets!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Caldicot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I could just leave it there and say the title says it all. The staff at this venue are second to none, nothing is too much trouble and although it is probably an every day occurrence for them to wait and cater for weddings, they still make you feel like you are very special and you and your guests very welcome on your special day.
Carol the Wedding Co-ordinator is very helpful and nothing is too much trouble. It is no wonder they have won the best Wedding Venue in Wales in the Welsh National Wedding Awards for 2011 and 2012. I have certainly voted for them this year (2013).
Thank you for making my special day the most memorable, perfect day I could have had, I will definitely be back for the amazing food for anniversary's and any time that I can in between.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bay Room, which has a four poster bed and lovely en suite bathroom for our wedding...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed here overnight before attending a wedding the next day. So this review will be in two parts.

Overnight stay: Friendly and efficient welcome at reception, took us to a wonderful family room on two levels, with very comfortable soft beds. Plenty of room for luggage and to move around, even in the bathroom. Well furnished and well equipped, a TV and telephone on each level. We had an evening meal in Clarkes restaurant - again friendly and efficient waiting staff, delicious food with every dish having its own individual twist. Good children's menu, our normally fussy 5 year old loved the butternut squash soup and the sausages. Breakfast the next morning was again excellent food, efficiently served. I wasn't sure how fried bread could be turned into delicate gourmet food, but they managed it - precisely cut, crunchy and not fatty at all.

Wedding: this is beginning to sound repetitive, but again efficiently managed by the staff with nothing being too much trouble for them. Nicely decorated ceremony room, can't wait to see the photographs. Very quickly rearranged into an intimate dining room, table gorgeously decorated. Good meal service, and again delicious food as expected - everything individually cooked, a good variety of vegetables and accompaniments.

Beautiful setting by the Usk river, distinctive exterior which was a great background for the photographs. The price for our overnight stay was very reasonable given the size and standard of the room. Would recommend this hotel to anyone, whether as a wedding venue or just for a stay.

Room Tip: If anyone has mobility problems, check the location of your room carefully - there is a lift to the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

My wife and I returned again this year and the standards were still as high as we remembered. The food and accomodation were excellent but what really made the stay enjoyable was the friendliness of the staff. Usk is a beautiful spot to relax.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon J
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just before we head off for our honeymoon we want to share our wedding day experience at Glen-yr-Afon, because it was so good we don't want to wait the two weeks until we get back!

From the start, the venue has been fantastic with us. Carol, the wedding coordinator, is extremely professional and friendly and has allowed us to be relaxed in our planning of the wedding to the point that not for one second did I believe that they would fail to deliver.

The hotel has a cottage in the grounds and that's where Jade stayed the night before to enjoy a meal with her family and get ready the morning before the big event. From what I've been told, the meal the evening before was fantastic and the staff were very attentive and charming. Matt deserves special mention, I'd recommend this venue as a wedding reception for him alone; he's the most charming, friendly and professional person my family, wife and I have met - how he maintains such energy levels I don't know but he is a phenomenal asset to the venue.

The whole day was seamless and the staff helped out from the very start with every little detail or request for help (even a spanner when my friend's car broke down). The meal was a glittering example of how to serve good food, to a high standard and in an efficient manner. So many people complemented the service and the quality of food "the best I've ever had at a wedding" and "amazing desserts"! Matt's support and patience with my best men was really nice to see and they allowed us to have the best party I've ever been too (possibly slightly biased as it was my wedding). In the evening, one of the resident DJs ensured that the dance floor was never empty (aside from a small amount of time when the guests were tempted away from the dance floor by the amazing evening buffet!). Many of our guests commented that they had never seen the dance floor so consistently packed at a wedding before.
As this venue is so popular they frequently hold a wedding every day of the weekend, however their friendly approach and professionalism made us feel like our wedding was of the utmost importance to them and that it wasn't just another wedding party for them. In addition, those guests that stayed the night before were just as well looked after in the restaurant even though there was a party taking place elsewhere in the hotel. We will definitely be returning to the hotel for future celebrations, particularly anniversaries as Glen-Yr-Afon has become a home from home for us.
Thank you to the staff from both myself and my bride as well as our family and friends.
David & Jade

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank davidheath
Pontypool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I organised to have my parents 50th wedding anniversary celebration here. I cannot find fault with anything. The staff who looked after us made my mum and dad feel very special, the room looked amazing and the food was delicious. We had a huge choice to plan our menu from. One of the group is a vegetarian and this was catered for brilliantly as well. If I needed to organise anything similar again I wouldn't hesitate in contacting them. We stayed overnight in the sister hotel (The Three Salmons) and were also well looked after.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We were guests at a wedding at Glen-yr-Afon House in August and stayed the night before and the night of the wedding.
Nice rooms and grounds. We enjoyed an excellent meal in the library with other wedding guests on the first night. Breakfasts were great, served at table rather than the ubiquitous breakfast bar and hot servery. So everything was freshly cooked, the most marvellous fried bread I have every tasted - the bacon and sausages were also good! Great toast, not the usual soggy supermarket sliced bread usually served as soon as you arrive at breakfast only to go cold and tough.
We enjoyed a saunter to the local garden centre and a very interesting visit to the fishing tackle shop on the morning of the wedding.
The wedding breakfast was excellent, up to restaurant standard rather than the often mass catering standard of some large functions.
The staff were friendly and helpful but retained an appropriate respectfulness.
Well done to Glen-yr-Afon.

Room Tip: The hotel is very good at allocating you a room appropraite to your visit. Our room was quiet on ou...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravellingLincs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Usk
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
New House Country Hotel
New House Country Hotel
#3 of 76 in Cardiff

Been to Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel? Share your experiences!