“Highly recommend”

Three Salmons Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Usk
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here. We arrived to a twin room (our mistake) but the Manger quickly rectified this for us whilst offering us a 'drink on the house' in the bar. Our room was clean, cosy and had a very comfortable bed. Unbeknown to me, my boyfriend had planned to propose to me. The deed was done and he had arranged with the hotel manager that we were served a rather large bottle of champagne upon arriving for dinner that evening. All the staff were very welcoming and congratulated us. We were then showed through to the restaurant where I have to say we were served an amazing three course meal. The waiting staff were amazing and made the evening perfect. I could not fault one thing about the food or the service. The waiter even bought us a slate platter decorated with 'congratulations' in icing and a sparkler with chocolates, a lovely touch.
Unfortunately due to a wedding party in the hotel we had a very bad nights sleep as they partied on till at least 2am, this was a shame as everything else was perfect. This issue was soon forgotten however when we sat down to beautiful breakfast. I would recommend this hotel and will certainly stay again, I just hope there are no wedding reception parties staying there on my next stay, I will bring ear plugs just in case !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Longblondie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stay here regularly with work. Top tip; ask for a room in the main house. You do take a gamble on the rooms but the food is excellent and staff are professional and efficient. A comfortable pub with accommodation. The rooms are a little pricey compared to some of the other options nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark B
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night and found the menu looked fairly mundane. Having looked at other restaurants we decided to eat in the hotel after all. How pleased we were as the food was fantastic - unlike the description on the menu. The staff were friendly and efficient. Our room was a bit on the small side but the bed was very comfy! As we were only staying over night it was more than adequate. Everything was very clean.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 11JAN51
Wales UK
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We went for a friends birthday for dinner here a year ago.

The menu is not huge, but there are a good selection of meat dishes, the usual fish and veggie stuff.

But what made me really like it, was to see Hare on the menu. My friend had it, it was Hare three ways. Presented beautifully and with pride it seemed.

Reasonable prices considering the area we are in, and the staff , although very busy that evening, were polite and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimlouise80
Mid Wales
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night. We enjoyed a good relaxing stay in this hotel.
The good:
The staff were attentive without being over the top.
The food is superb.
The bathroom in the room was lovely.
The bath was deep and large.
The shower was lovely and powerful.
Breakfast was well set out.
The cooked breakfast itself used high quality ingredients.
The bar was cosy.
Nothing was too much trouble.
The dinner bed and breakfast package was good value.
The not so good.
The carpet in the room needed a good clean.
The red carpet in the hotel itself needed cleaning.
The room needed a few finishing touches for example where there was a light fitting which had been removed you could see the holes which had been badly painted over.
The kettle was tiny.

Room Tip: Be warned there are lots of steps to some of the rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We found the Hotel quite easily and check in was seamless. We were in the ostelry across the road which was no problem.
Our room faced the main road. The room was a good size and clean - lovely clean carpet - see my review of our stay in the New Forest! Toiletries were a bit minimal as were the tea making facilities and why do they only give you one packet of biscuits with 3 biscuits in it - talk about starting argument! The shower was over the bath which didn’t seem a problem until you used the shower and were constantly attacked by the wet shower curtain as the enclosed area was about 2 foot square. The water was lovely and hot but be warned if you have children because the water is actually TOO hot. To the point of scalding if used without cold water. That’s just a waste of energy.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was lovely - good attentive service without intrusion. All of our food tasted and looked really good. Not a bad price for the food we received. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs in Usk to eat in so unless you are there for over a week variety won't be a problem.
We then retired to our room and that is where there were a couple of problems. The quilts on the beds are really heavy, the room was really warm and because the rooms face the main road and the pavement you cannot open the windows wide to let in lots of fresh air, which really didn’t help anyone and then if you did open them half an inch you got all the noise in from the traffic and pedestrians and it is a busy junction with constant traffic through the night. The other problem was the mattress - it is adorably thick and soft but it is so high that the sides of the mattress are broken which means that if you sleep anywhere near the edge of the mattress you are in danger of falling out of bed.
Breakfast next morning was tasty, we both had the Welsh breakfast with poached egg but the eggs on both plates were hard. The following morning I had the same breakfast with fried egg - that was hard as well and the breakfast was exactly the same - no variation at all but we found out on the last morning that they will vary the breakfast but only if you ask - they don’t offer. On the last day I gave in and had kippers and they were lovely but certainly not fresh from the fishmonger - they were like the ones you can buy vacuum packed in the supermarket.
Our stay was deliciously laid back and peaceful, Usk is beautiful and they are so proud of their heritage - that is so obvious by the various information plaques on the walls all over the village and all the trades that have Usk in their titles. I would recommend this wonderful part of the country to anyone. We were there to walk and there are some really good walks. Go to the Rural Museum just by the river they have really good information on walks and also everything local.
If I was ever to come back to this part of the country again - which is possible - I would probably stay in another village so a return visit would probably not happen. Don’t get me wrong we were made very welcome by everybody but this whole experience is not enough for me to return.
Point to note to the owners - you've made a great job of the rooms that have been refurbished but the toilets in the hotel are awful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My family stayed here (16 of us) as part of my parents wedding anniversary celebrations. The rooms were all of good quality and very clean. They hotel staff were all very accommodating. They organised for one large table for breakfast so we could all sit together. Breakfast was served at the table and they were happy to cater for all likes and dislikes.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Usk
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 2 in Abergavenny

Been to Three Salmons Hotel? Share your experiences!