“Nice Hotel - bit overpriced”

Three Salmons Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Usk
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had an enjoyable stay at this hotel for one night in March. The staff were very nice, professional and courteous. Breakfast was very good a nice selection and alternatives to the standard full English.

The bar stayed open very late and was full, which we liked but I can imagine this could be a nuisance to some guests.

The room we stayed in was nice enough but the furniture was very tatty and worn. It was spotlessly clean but had a very odd smell. The bathroom really needs updating, it felt dirty even though it was clean.

Basically a good hotel but for the price - not really good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Three Salmons Hotel

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel on the 14th and 15th March and had a double bedroom in the annex which across the road from the main hotel. The bedroom and bathroom was very clean. I really liked the bed topper which made the bed very comfortable. The service from the staff was friendly and efficient. My mates and I had breakfast and dinner on both days and I enjoyed every meal we had. The night porter / barman was great company when he was serving us and was a credit to the hotel. The hotel is in the centre of this small village and is easy walking to other pubs. It is difficult to fault any part of our stay and I will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: I was in the annex which was quiet. One of our party was staying in the main hotel and he said that...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Booked into the Three Salmons in Usk for a Saturday night in February. It didn't start off well when we were informed that they couldn't get a tv reception & therefore couldn't watch the rugby international. We ended up watching it in a pub down the road. Our room number at the 3 salmons was no. 5.... avoid at all costs. We asked for a superior room & possibly it was but on entering it was freezing cold as the heating wasn't working... this was rectified... & the tv reception by this time was intermittent. But the worst thing was that it was above the bar & by 1 in the morning we could take no more of the noise & got dressed, took our belongings and moved into the annex across the road. Next morning not one member of staff thought to offer us their apology or recompense us for the inconvenience. A really disappointing experience & one we definitely won't be repeating.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VonTrips
SalmonsManagement, Manager at Three Salmons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for your review.

We are very sorry about both the poor television reception and your disturbed sleep when you recently stayed with us. The room that you stayed in is one of our superior rooms and has been recently refurbished. We are sorry that the room was cold when you arrived - It would seem that the previous guest turned the heating off, for which we apologise.

The horrendous weather when you stayed with us meant that much of town was suffering with a poor TV signal. Nevertheless we were happy to provide you with a complimentary drink by way of apology.

As you mention in your review, your stay coincided with one of the Six Nations Rugby Internationals. It would seem that some of our residents who attended the match were loud at the end of the evening. As you say, we were able to offer you an alternative room in a quieter part of the hotel. We appreciate that this was not ideal, and this was the reason that we felt that it was appropriate to considerably discount your bill when you checked out in the morning.

Whilst we understand a lot of your disappointment, we would be happy to welcome you back to the Three Salmons so that we can demonstrate to you the high standards of comfort and customer service that are enjoyed by the vast majority of our guests.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Right from the beginning of my visit I was impressed by the staff. Throughout my visit they really could not have been more helpful. I don't think I have slept in a more comfortable bed in a hotel anywhere.
The rooms and connected en-suite are a little tired and will soon be in need of renovation, but this should not stop you visiting.
The breakfast was first class with a myriad of choices that the staff help to make you aware of.
I would certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Be aware that this hotel is situated on a fairly busy road junction, so ask for a room away from the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is a lovely little hotel in the beautiful village of Usk. My room was in excellent condition with a high quality bathroom, big fluffy towels & stylish decor. The room was large & the bed very comfortable. What's good to see is that the website was a true representation of the room quality & overall feel of the place. This hotel is perfect for romantic trysts, a gathering of friends or in my case an overnight stay for business. Breakfast was good! Service was personal & it's a shame I was only there for one night.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GS-Smugly
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here in June last year for business. The hotel has a relaxed and comfortable feel and the food in the restaurant is generally of a good standard - I especially enjoyed the breakfast. I would consider staying here again in future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Having stayed several times in Cardiff in the past few weeks decided to try something different and headed off to the very pretty village of Usk. The Three Salmons is right in the town and has it's own car park which unlike most hotels there is no charge for using. Check in/out was swift and professional.

The bar/lounge area's are well decorated and maintained looking fresh and clean. The bedrooms are quaint and what you would expect of a hotel of it's age, IE features that you would not see in a modern hotel such as beams and odd shapes. The bedroom was clean and well decorated again in keeping with it's age where most modern hotels would have painted walls in this hotel there is wallpaper.

The bathroom was modern and had a shower over bath, with a good range of complementary toiletries. We had a room on the top floor and again as is typical of hotels of this age there didn't appear to be a lift so would need to consider this if there are mobility issues and request a room on the lower floors.

The hotel is well known for it's restaurant so we decided to have dinner in the hotel (which for us is unusual) and we were not disappointed having had an excellent meal. Had a few drinks after dinner in the bar and there was a good crowd of friendly people in who appeared to be local. Again unlike a city bar here the customers were chatty & friendly.

I feel the service merits mention and from check in to check out the service was without question highly proficient and professional whilst still being warm & friendly. I was really impressed with this hotel and will no doubt stay again in the future if I am looking for something different to a weekend in the city.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Commz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Usk
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
Best Western Pontypool Metro Hotel
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to Three Salmons Hotel? Share your experiences!