“Lights out”

Ranked #2 of 2 Falfield B&B and Inns
Alva, United Kingdom
“Lights out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

The Huntsman was a nice change from staying in eastwood park. Walked down about 9pm on a wednesday night and the place was jumping! Lots of people having food and enjoying themselves in the cosy pub. We were just sampling some good ales and suddenly the lights were going out and we were told they were closing! It was hardly 10.20pm! Coming from Scotland this was unheard of! Nice pub though.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank KevinLaird

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chiddingstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

When trying to find a pub on the A38 we came across this one. A warm welcome from friendly staff is always a bonus when entering any pub or restaurant and after ours, we were shown to our table. The food was very tasty and very reasonably priced and brought to our table by someone with a smile. As I always say, if you get the easy things right, the rest follows. Well done! The only thing I would say is, it is The Huntsman pub, so maybe a few more hunting prints or photos. Thanks though, enjoyed it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stopped in at The Huntsman quite randomly, we live nearby but had been for a drive and I was hungry. Was about 2:30 on a Sunday and it was fairly quiet, with a birthday party just finishing up, and a few other people dotted around. The staff were extremely polite and friendly, and very attentive. My partner had the roast beef, and I had the 8oz sirloin with a side of onion rings. If I'm honest we weren't expecting much, but were both pleasantly surprised. Everything was freshly cooked, it arrived promptly, the portions were nice and big and it tasted good. Unfortunately the pudding let it down somewhat. I'm not sure whether it's because they were closing the kitchen down for the afternoon when we ordered, but my treacle tart wasn't that great, the taste was good, but it was chewy and I needed a knife to cut it. My jaws got an impressive workout! I don't think it was the freshest of tarts. My partner had the sticky toffee pudding, and his only complaint was that it was too sweet, but that's personal preference. So we'll probably go again, but I won't have the treacle tart.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel M
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Just came back from an enjoyable 4 day trip.

The room was comfortable and for once a decent shower! TV and Internet worked well as did the heating! I wondered if the nearby A38/M5 might be an issue but it wasn't. Only slight minus was being tall my feet had a tendency to escape the duvet!

Food was to a good pub standard and breakfasts offered all that you would expect, decent buffy and choice of full English or fish etc. Crumpets added to morning toast was a nice touch.

There didn't seem to be a vast range of beers on my visit but what there was good (Butcombe/Doom Bar).

The staff were very helpful and friendly.

If I was in the area I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We popped in by chance and are so glad we did! The young couple couldn't have been more friendly and made us feel at home immediately. The food was lovely and the pud, bakewell tart, was 'to die for'. Would recommend to anyone in the area - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stopped by here a few times now and have always been welcome.Good food and a nice selection of beers and on cold days a nice log fire to warm against.
Come summer the beer garden will be dead handy.
A very large car park and welcoming to motorcyclists as well as there own locals.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We have been having meets at this pub weekly for a few weeks now and i can say that Kay and her staff could not be more welcoming. The place itself is clean and inviting the food good but more importantly its the staff that do everything in there power to make your visit enjoyable..highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falfield
BEST WESTERN Bristol North The Gables Hotel
Alveston House Hotel
Alveston House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Alveston
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens

Been to The Huntsman Inn? Share your experiences!