“Surprisingly good.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Bristol
“Surprisingly good.”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stopped in at The Huntsman quite randomly, we live nearby but had been for a drive and I was hungry. Was about 2:30 on a Sunday and it was fairly quiet, with a birthday party just finishing up, and a few other people dotted around. The staff were extremely polite and friendly, and very attentive. My partner had the roast beef, and I had the 8oz sirloin with a side of onion rings. If I'm honest we weren't expecting much, but were both pleasantly surprised. Everything was freshly cooked, it arrived promptly, the portions were nice and big and it tasted good. Unfortunately the pudding let it down somewhat. I'm not sure whether it's because they were closing the kitchen down for the afternoon when we ordered, but my treacle tart wasn't that great, the taste was good, but it was chewy and I needed a knife to cut it. My jaws got an impressive workout! I don't think it was the freshest of tarts. My partner had the sticky toffee pudding, and his only complaint was that it was too sweet, but that's personal preference. So we'll probably go again, but I won't have the treacle tart.

• Visited August 2012