“Great if you're interested in Chateaubriand”

Chateau de Combourg
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Combourg
More attraction details
Owner description: Le chateau de Combourg et une forteresse medievale situee en Haute-Bretagne. Le grand ecrivain et homme politique, Francois-Rene de Chateaubriand, y passa son enfance. ENGLISH Combourg castle is a medieval fortress and childhood home of the renowned writer Francois-Rene de Chateaubriand, located in upper Brittany, France.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I went out of my way to get to this castle since Chateubriand is one of my favorite French writers. From Rennes I took a train to Combourg (about 20 euros both ways) and then walked from the SNCF station to the castle because apparently there's no public transport. It's a bit far, I walk fast but it took me around 40 minutes.

Once at the castle, I did the French tour since I speak the language but while I was buying my ticket a group of English tourists arrived and I overheard the cash attendant saying that they were going to offer them a tour in English (as if it wasn't normal for them to offer tours in English) so I thought it was weird. My tour guide was very knowledgeable and knew by heart some quotations from Chateubriand's book Mémoires d'outre-tombe which she recited to illustrate some of her explanations with perfect timing for us to make connections between the words and what we were seeing. What I didn't like however, was that it seemed a bit rushed and we were not allowed to take pictures. Somebody asked her why we couldn't see all the rooms and she responded that it was because the property is privately owned and people have always lived in the castle, so they don't want to let tourists in their rooms. I was disappointed by this and the price I paid (8.50) because I couldn't see more or stay inside longer.

I would recommend visiting this place only if you're interested in Chateaubriand and understand French. From the reviews I have read, just because the guides don't want to or can't speak in English (or any other language for that matter) the visit may not be pleasant if you don't understand French and for the price you pay I don't think is fair.

2  Thank M P
There are newer reviews for Chateau de Combourg

Reviewed 23 May 2014

As something to do in Combourg on a wet afternoon it was good to see what the fuss about Chateaubriand was about. However the guide was working to a strict timetable and didn't have the chance to translate the copious tales from French to English so we made do with the notes. However it probably wasn't worth the money spent on entry compared to the museum at Dol de Bretagne

1  Thank forgeronfp
Guy d, Owner at Chateau de Combourg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Visitor,

Thank you very much for your visit and review of the castle. We would like to inform you that English tours are now available every afternoon during the high tourist season, unless otherwise indicated. And our new Facebook and Instagram pages are in English and French to further facilitate your visit, should you return to the region. We hope you enjoyed your time in Bretagne.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Check opening times. We visited on a Sunday morning when it was open under an "open doors" scheme. We did not have time for a guided tour of the Chateau, but did explore the grounds which are extensive, but entirely laid out as park land (i,e, no formal gardens). On a warm late-summer morning they were a delight with some specacular views towards the Chateau itself. The entrance to the chateau and grounds have a small gift/book shop and possibly (in season) a small terrace cafe/tea room (but not functioning when we visited).

1  Thank BloomfieldTripper

Dear Visitor,

Many thanks for your visit and feedback on the castle. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We would like to inform you that our Facebook and Instagram pages are now in English and French to further facilitate your visit, should you return to the region. We hope you had a pleasant time in Brittany.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Interesting place but the guide spoke so quickly in French we couldn't follow all of the stories. There is an english tour at certain times of day- would have been worth it...

1  Thank kootenaykat

Dear Visitor,

Thank you for your visit and review of the castle. We are sorry you missed the tour in English. We would like to inform you that our Facebook and Instagram pages are now in English and French, to further facilitate your visit. We hope you had a nice trip to Brittany.

Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

The childhood home of a famous French novelist does not mean much to the average English tourist. The chateau appears very gloomy and austere from the outside, but do not let this put you off. Included in the entrance price is a guided tour (available in English) around the inside which reveals a softer home and interesting stories - I will not give anything away just make sure you stop by if in the area.

You can combine the visit with the weekly Monday market in the village all walking distance from the chateau.

1  Thank skichick09

Dear Visitor,

Thank you greatly for your visit and feedback on the castle. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review. We would like to inform you that our Facebook and Instagram pages are now in English and French to further facilitate your visit, should you return to the Brittany region. We are happy to hear you had a pleasant time.