“Tired looking, but awesome Staff”

Sun Dream Apartments
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Armutalan
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Now Ive been to the Sun Dream a few times and I have to take umbrage at some of the comments in previous reviews, but I’ll get to that later.

Lets not pull any punches, the apartments are tired and are in desperate need of an overhaul and paint job. We had to play “share the fridge and kettle” for a couple of days, but as a family we had 3 rooms between us it wasn’t a big deal and Ali sorted it for us after day 2.

I do think people expect 5* accommodation for the 2* price they are paying - Please remember what you actually paid. For example we paid £80 for 2 weeks self catering, seriously you cannot grumble at that price!! (look on Travel Republic for example at how much the hotel actually gets)

What the apartments lack in, the staff MORE than make up for. I have never seen the staff looking miserable or smoking as they served anyone. ‘Babyface’ takes his job quite seriously and would never allow that. All the staff are on a commission, so if you aren’t eating or drinking in the hotel it really effects their pay (their basic is about 30 lire (£10) a day so need any commission they can make), but again having said that they have never ignored or been rude to me (or anyone I know) when I have eaten out of the restaurant.

Summing up, yes the Apartments are very tired looking and really do need an upgrade, they are supposed to be getting an overhaul this “closed season”. The Staff are flaming brilliant, ‘Wycliffe’ especially cant do enough for you. Would I go back – umm yup my partner and I are already booked in for jun!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mizzyjo

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My friend and I stayed here 9-16th Sep. It was fantastic value for money and very clean. Staff friendly and nice pool. We were staying with our Turkish partners and for the first time there were no problems. A lot of hotels are ruled by the likes of Thomson etc and therefore don't allow Turkish people to stay even when we give their names at the time of booking. This was wonderful as it's never happened before!! We went to a great Turkish night and even the lads enjoyed it. Great fun! The staff also don't mind if you go elsewhere at night which was also refreshing. The 4 of us will definitely stay there again. You couldn't ask for more for what you pay for it, what do some people expect!! If you want 5 star - pay for a 5 star hotel!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzie A
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Arrived in this hotel last week and will never promote nor return! All I can say is that I am glad I was not a first time visitor to Marmaris, as I would never return! In comparison to the accomadation and facilaties we have used previously in Marmaris, these 'apartments' were nowhere near close! We have stayed in hotels and apartments previously in Marmaris and never required the services of a holiday rep, but in the days following using the services of the rep, an obvious reaction from the manager was disheartening and we used the place as a room only for the rest of the holiday. 6 adults in our holiday party paid for bed and breakfast in our booking price only to discover on our first day of ordering an English breakfast we received a bill saying English was not included, even though staff told us they were sorry there English breakfast products were out of stock, so they had to use Turkish! Could someone please explain?? 6 people in our company did not take breakfast,which was paid for, for 6 days, but 2 of us got charged on leaving for a cup of tea we drank while waiting for others one morning because it was 10.10am and breakfast finished at 10am .Definately not a visitor friendly environment by the manager Ali! We had a great holiday, but this had nothing to do with our accomadation and thank God I had previous experience of Marmaris, to know this was just a bad choice! We had booked our holiday through low cost holidays, who then changed our accomadation. This hotel was taken by their recommendation, it was not clean, and were were told we would have to pay to change! You live and learn! We will certainly not use Low Cost Holidays again, and definately not recommend Sundream Appartments to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

after the 3rd change of room we just thought f---- it we will make do the room was dirty nothing worked there was live wires comeing out of the air con .ripped bed linen we were givien 1 loo roll when we got there had to buy the rest booked for b&b first morning went down for breakfast had a fry was ok then we were handed a bill we said we had booked for b&b then we were told that only coverd a turkish breakfast . and out of 6 of us only 1 would have eat so for the rest of the week we eat breakfast at summer dreeze a cross the road .2 of or party went down for breakfast on our 2nd day at 10.10 but were told breakfast stoped at 10 ok so they orderd 2 cups of tea and were handed a bill what a joke staff were nice and freandly but boss ally was a p----- could go on and on but you should get the drift.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Got back this morning, we have stayed here for the last 13 years, there where 15 of us this year, Brillian staff, Freddi, Vakif, Chicco, Omar, and Vejdin, you guys are brilliant and do a fanbloodytastic job, the new management team, Ali and Halil are great and cant do enough to help and are very friendly. Entertainment every night, good food, Rooms are adequate and are cleaned daily with regulare linen changes, New shop on site means no more walking to the nearest one and lugging it back in the heat, and the prices are very reasonable, Free wifi in the hotel as well now, looking forward to seeing you all next year x

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel tend to be a lot cooler and quieter
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2013

stayed at this hotel and cant add anything else that the other reviews havent already said
most of the staff ignorant one or two of them are nice but get tarred with the same brush
lovely with you untill you decide to leave and have a meal or drink somewere else then you get
totaly blanked and ignored they seem to think you should stay there and never leave untill its time to go home the rooms are basic but surely the should have enough plates cups knives forks etc
the rooms by the pool are the best but only because the others are really really bad
so only book this place if you dont mind terrible rooms and staying by the pool and bar for the entire holiday cos god help you if you want to see anywere else you have been warned

Room Tip: best rooms another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 165kay
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Me & my brother stayed here from 27th - 5th Aug/Sep 2013 & believe me I'm not quick at judging but after days of observation I must say its the worst Hotel ever.

Arrived there and was greeted and helped by an excellent Pakistani guy at the reception who I totally take my Hats off too, he took us to our room and when the door opened I thought "what have we got ourselves into" how ever the reception guys said all our rooms are like this, anyway I'm a diabetic & had medication with me and guess what the fridge did not work so I could store my medicines, however he kindly held them at the bar fridge for me and said I shall get it fixed for you in the morning and he did which I was grateful,,, we went into the bar and ordered some drinks and all the bar staff were really good to us, then 1 night we didn't feel upto it and were missing from the bar, the very next day the same bar staff started giving us dirty looks and were blanking us, later got to found out that alsong as your spending your money in their bar & restaurant they are yours if you don't that's when they hate u , so isn't that Hypocritical of them ? You don't go on holiday just to live in a hotel do you ? U are entitled to your freedom of where u go eat & drink and spend your money the way you want.

Rooms;

Not 100% clean, ripped and unwashed curtains, bed sheets & towel changed 2 x a week which is mentioned before hand but even then the fresh ones are not 100% clean,

Electrical wiring exposed in places,

We stopped going into the bar because of their attitude and 1 night there was 4 of us and we were getting bored so we decided to play pool which the table was at the bar area, asked bar staff for the key for the balls he then asked the bar manager for the keys in return he said no its 2 am and balls are going to make noise and disrupt other guests, but you still had guests drinking at the bar drunk and making a racquet ! Work that 1 out ? We sat at reception lobby Cos of strong wifi connection, then comes over the hotel manager and said to my friend why don't u lot go to sleep? I then totally flipped and had a full on argument with him reference pool table Incident and how the staff are, he said its a seasonal resort and they need to make money, I told him that's not our problem and we have and do spend money at the hotel but attitudes stink around here, I had to teach him what customer service was and told him why run your hotel self catering or half board just sell your rooms as full board all incl... He said good idea, after I won the arguement he disappeared saying " I now have a head ache"

Bottom line is I'm not giving them a negative view because we experienced problems with them, take my word for it guests were complaining on a daily basis and not same people,

It's not safe for girls on their own because when they are drunk the staff don't hesitate to try it on with them and some succeed, if it wasn't for the support for the Asian receptionist we would have checked out long time ago,, it's cheap yes but not free is it to put up with their crap!!! If you don't believe me then by all means go and try it but then don't come back moaning!! Otherwise marmaris is a very good holiday resort .

• Stayed: August 2013