“Good food and good value”

Victoria Inn & Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roche
Victoria Inn & Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Roche
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Second visit to this pub and excellent service from staff along with good value on food and good quality beer. Nothing to much trouble for the staff well worth a visit good choice on the cavery too and meats cooked well

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 14 January 2013

This is the second time my girlfriend and I have stopped here on the way through to holiday destinations in Cornwall and I believe we will continue doing so.
The A30 through Bodmin Moors is a very bleak place to drive and this Inn is the first major place to stop (that does not require a major detour.) It is not signposted from the A30 so you will need to follow signs for the Roche services.
The Inn is very quint and old fashioned and dates back to 1642 when it became a coaching stop and Inn.
I have had mussels both times on the way down and they did not disappoint, being nice and fresh in a moule marineire sauce. The ale was St Austell brewery but only two on offer, HSD and Tribute, which are very average ales and although well kept are very much the same. The pick of the bunch (but expensive) is the Korev lager from St Austell brewery which is well kept and very refreshing.
Toilets are clean and well kept.
We will definately stop here again on the way down, however I think that the prices are a little much (and I am used to London prices!) If these were lowered and more ales on tap the rating would be higher.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glen1540
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My boyfriend and I have been here twice now. We use it as a place to fuel up before arriving at our holiday destination. Due to the pleasant experience that we have had on each occassion, I feel that this may become a tradition to our holiday!

We are both a fan of old fashioned/ traditional looking pubs, which the Victoria Inn is. Both times we have been offered a friendly greeting by the staff. There is good range of local real ales. The food is also very tasty, with a varied menu. The only criticism I would give is that it is a little expensive. On our last visit we had two of the small plates/ starters and two pints, and the bill was about £20. However, I am fairly sure that we will both be stopping off at our next visit to Cornwall!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jen D
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This has been the second time we have eaten here after stopping at the ajoining Travelodge and I am happy to say the food is as good as last time.

I had a carvery which was plentiful and filled me right up and my Fiance had a burger which she couldn't finish, we also had the breakfast the next morning and saved 10% by booking it the night before. The breakfast is well cooked and the continental selection is plentiful, well worth the money.

My only gripe is the service in the evening as the waitresses seemed more interested in gassing than clearing our plates but all in all this is a great place to eat.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaleB79
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The pictures shown on Trip Advisor are misleading for the Victoria Inn and Lodge. They show the lodge as it once was (several years ago), which was clean, comfortable and a pleasure to stay in. It has now been taken over by Travel Lodge - a very different type of accommodation altogether. The Victoria Inn itself is still a joy to visit. Pleasant friendly staff and good food.

Room Tip: The Travel Lodge is not a place we will be visiting again. The rooms are miserable and the 3 rooms...
1  Thank WickhamWanderers
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have to add my comments to the review written on 18th August as was a family member staying with my daughter and wife
It was exactly as stated , what annoyed me more than anything was the fact that we were made to feel like a nuisance because we had the audacity to be looking for some food at 8.45pm in Cornwall, Englands premier holiday county.
The Staff were awful , there was no friendly welcome, hardly any welcome AT ALL really. The guy in the white shirt refered to in previous review was ( we Asumed) was the manager and his attitude was actually worse than his staff.
They really do need some training if anyone from the parent company reads this i suggest a training officer visits and kick some
Lets face facts if wasnt for the fact that a Travelodge is attached this pub would be shut !!!
The Travelodge average but comfy beds etc etc.
The night after we went to Bugle and found a delightful local pub which couldnt be more different , a great welcome , fantastic food , a wonderful experince , a traditional pub with traditional values. (suggest the manager at the victoria takes his staff there to see how its done !!
Would stay at Travelodge again but not the pub !! Shame really cos it was nice inside!!

Disgruntled fro Lytham St Annes

1  Thank stephen n
Reviewed 18 August 2012

At 8.30pm we walked into an empty pub, no staff insight, stood at the bar waited for ages (bar was soping wet!) asked when finaly saw someone if we could order some food & drinks, staff didnt no & so had to find out. Sat looking at the menu to be told 'you've got 5mins to order' by a man in a white shirt. Had no idea if we had to order at the bar or if it someone would come & take are order! Sat waiting to be then told again '5 mins to order' & so asked how to order, as we hadn't been told.
To be fair the food was nice, but the service horrific!! When are food came we asked for some pepper, the man just walked off without saying a word-came back & slamed some loose pepper in a pot down & walked off!!
At the end of the meal, we went to the bar to pay the bill, we were asked which table number were we, I replied the only table in the whole place with people on (as by this point I'd had enough), the reply I got was 'well he ate earlier too' (man sat at the bar on his own, I'd happily pay his 1 meal bill from ages ago instead of our familys bill), and so I just paid and left.
I have never had such bad service in my life! If we hadn't have been starving, in the middle of nowhere I would have walked out as soon as I walked in! I wouldn't employee these people to serve farm yard animals their meals!!

3  Thank boombang21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roche
Travelodge Bodmin Roche Hotel
St Benet's Abbey
St Benet's Abbey
#1 of 1 in Lanivet
Travelodge St Austell Hotel

Been to Victoria Inn & Lodge? Share your experiences!