“Excellent holiday park”

Woodland Holiday Park
Leicestershire
“Excellent holiday park”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Having stayed in several holiday parks in lodges, chalets or caravans this was one of the best I have been to. I went with my daughter and her baby and toddler and was expecting the accommodation to be a bit cramped but it was amazingly spacious and very clean. We used the hot tub every evening which was lovely. The setting is beautiful and the location on the coast near Cromer was ideal for days out. The staff were friendly and helpful rapidly sorting out any minor problems e.g. bits missing from door of fridge and helping us work the washer dryer which was one of the most complicated to use that I've come across!!!

The swimming pool is lovely and has a kids splash pool which was ideal for the baby. The shower facilities are not very good though and run cold very quickly.

My only complaints were on the last day. Several times staff and maintenance men walked across our private terrace where the hot tub is located and right outside the living room patio doors, once even escorting some guests, when the path to access the other lodges was just a few feet away so it was very inconsiderate and intrusive (especially had we been in the hot tub at the time). Also we ate in the restaurant twice, once on the first day which was fine and again on our last evening which was disappointing. They didn't give us a wine list as they didn't have much choice in stock so we ordered a pinot grigio not realising it was £16.95...!!! The steak from the specials menu was good but could have done with some salad or vegetables too. The dessert (2 for 1 but they charged for 2 and I had to get it corrected) was very poor - it was sticky toffee pudding with pistachio ice cream but there was nothing sticky about it at all - it was dry, tasteless and lukewarm. We complained and got an apology but no offer of a refund or an alternative to replace it.

I can't comment on the on-site shop as it was never open when we went past it and it was very small. Not too much of a problem as Cromer has good shops but some parks I've been to have a fairly good shop on site which is handy for odds and ends.

I would definitely come back here again though and have recommended it to friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marie M

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Essex, England
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked this as a surprise weekend end of oct/nov to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Upon arrival we were shown to our lodge, beech 2 and shown the hot tub. This is where our problems started. We noticed the cover of the hot tub was broken, but was assured it could still be used. Yes it could be used if one of us stood in the hot tub and folded the cover over (the cover was so heavy) and the other person dragging the cover through the gate and leaving it on the decking, because of the previous guests kids had jumped all over it and broken the Cover. Also the bar was missing to fold the cover back, we noticed this after checking out other lodges hot tubs. We did this for a day, and got so fed up with this and the fact it was heavy and freezing standing there in your swimwear in nov. We complained every day, got told the same excuse, we have raised the issue, can't do nothing about it as we don't have one in stock.
i paid extra for a lodge with a hot tub, which clearly wasn't useable.
Also I received a phone call the day before we arrived to say the restaurant would be shut on the Saturday night due to a private function. This function being an owners dinner. Obviously this was arranged months in advance, think its a bit poor to be told a day before we came. Also we had to spend an hour driving up and down the coast trying to find a pub that wasn't fully booked to get a table.
Also the restaurant was closed early on the Sunday evening due to their winter hours. So 2 nights we couldn't use the facilities.
On the plus side the pool was nice and always empty, although a bit deep for our small 6 year old.
Although we were offered £50 off another break, we can now only go away in school hols and it would cost us more than £50 in petrol to get there. So woodland holiday park thank you for your offer but we will not be taking you up on it.
Will be sticking with haven next time, we know what to expect and they cater for families in school hols or at the end of school hols.

Room Tip: Make sure your hot tub works!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nicbev
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I have just booked to go back to woodlands.
This will be my 5th visit with my family, we love it there. We always stay in a lodge and always go in the winter.
The lodges are beautiful, spacious and warm. They might not be brand new but they are rustic and and comfortable. I was shocked to find negative reviews on here as we have never had any bad experiences.

There is just the right amount to do if you have small children.
The hot tub's are amazing, the pool is lovely and the bar is both child and dog friendly-should you wish to take your dog in.
There is also a small games room to amuse the kids while you have a quick drink.

Our kids love it at Woodlands and they thoroughly enjoyed doing the nature trail on our last visit and were thrilled to recieve a medal when they took their maps back to the site shop.
The staff are always friendly and polite.
I would defo recomend going!

Room Tip: Go for a lodge with a hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kate w
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked for 17 for New Year's Day as we were assured they could accommodate us. We booked for 2pm as we were planning on watching the fireworks in Cromer at 5. However due to the poor service and attention we received, despite being extremely quiet in the restaurant, we missed the fireworks resulting in 7 upset children. The order was not given to the kitchen properly resulting in another long wait for one meal and a few incomplete meals. We weren't asked about desserts, which when they finally arrived, couldn't be eaten as dinner plates were on the table. Some food was cold and inedible. We didn't feel valued as customers; and to add insult to injury - 2 bottles of champagne had been added to our bill. Had we had had good service with 1 person waiting at our table this would never have happened! The guy dealing with our complaint tried his best, but had come on shift half way through our meal, however he was very apologetic and tried very hard to help us. However due to the complete lack of any management available couldn't really deal with us satisfactorily. A real shame to start the New Year this way!

Stayed December 2013
Andrew H, General Manager at Woodland Holiday Park, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for your review good or bad reviews are always valuable to us it is sad for our business to start the New Year with a review where our customers are disappointed.
I have commenced an investigation into the problems you encountered. My initial findings suggest you are quite right a chicken meal was missed off your initial food service order which clearly meant one of your party would be eating after the rest of the group which is unacceptable and I offer you my sincere apologies however mistakes can and sometimes do happen and it is how we react to them that can make the difference.
I am afraid at this stage I have been unable to ascertain the exact nature of incomplete meals I have however found that the Beef was not cooked to your liking which is of course a matter of taste, I am able however to confirm we served some 43 Beef meals excluding your party without complaint, of course the learning point here is did we check with you that everything was to your liking at the time of service. I further understand that you were disappointed by the fact our Menu did not have a Mixed grill, what I can say is that our Head Chef Chris tries very hard to offer a menu which is locally sourced and readily available. Inevitably when dealing with food choices we will not always have the exact dish that people are looking for however we felt our menu on New Year’s day which had some 7 special main courses alongside our standard menu had something available for most tastes.
There are of course some other matters which should be discussed in relation to your visit that I am sure you are aware of and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at the park in the coming days.
Once again my thanks for your review although I have to be honest and say comments regarding the levels of service and quality of food you experienced are not something I would normally associate with our park.
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful holiday here, reception staff were lovely and the cabin was spotless. Our shower tray was faulty and it was seen to very quickly but still wasn't fixed properly. However they failed to visit for maid service stating sign had blown off, this left us without towels as we had piled them up for changing in the bath so when we asked reception at 12pm they said fresh towels could be brought to us........ At 4pm!?! With two young children (2 and 8 months) to wait so long was ridiculous! The real let down was the food at the club house, we had Sunday carvery, they had run out of meat but yet we still got charged full price, not great :/

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Yorkshireblonde25
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here in December for my partners birthday and used a promo voucher. Booking was a breeze, pets are welcome which always makes our life easier. A very warm welcome and nothing was too much trouble. The staff made everything easy for us during our stay from questions about the park, the shop had one of almost everything and local info for the area and just general information. Reception is stocked with a huge array of information for visitors. The clubhouse was warm, modern and clean, free WiFi is always a winner for us.The pool and sauna an added bonus for my beach weary legs. Plus a games room and of course the Air Hockey tournament !! Dinner or lunch was freshly prepared food which was a simple menu complimented by seasonal specials it was tasty at a reasonable price and a well stocked bar. We look forward to coming back as there is so much to see and do in the area.

Room Tip: If you arrive at night ditch the sat nav, follow the main road into Cromer then take the right on th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca S
Nottingham
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Booked a wowcher for myself, husband and my sister and partner, it was middle ground for us to have a couple of days away. I was a little dubious as to what we would get (caravan wise due to previous experience). We weren't disappointed, lovely modern 8 berth caravan with all mod cons. You could park in front of the van and if it had been a summer month we would have made use of the picnic bench, nice addition. We took a wonder around the site, the facilities seemed good for everyone, cabins look fantastic. We did pop to the club house on the Friday night as there was a charity night on, bit slow going for us but good selection of drinks at the bar and food available. We did use the pool on the Sunday, some work needed in relation to the changing rooms, the heat was unbearable trying to get changed and dirty floor (i left feedback direct with the site). All in all a great location for self catering and venturing out or for those that wanted to be site based. I would go back, staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trimingham
Cromer Country Club
The Cliftonville Hotel
Seashore Holiday Park - Haven
Seashore Holiday Park - Haven
#3 of 31 in Great Yarmouth

Been to Woodland Holiday Park? Share your experiences!