“Glistening gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Raya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Panarea
Hotel Raya
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Panarea
Tucson, Arizona
“Glistening gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is a beautiful gem of a hotel on the magical island of Panarea. Be prepared to walk as the rooms are up on the hill. Each room has a beautiful view of the sea and plenty of space outside your room to lounge. They provide complimentary sarongs that work for men or women and you can take the home as a souvenir. The staff is very friendly and they work really hard to meet the needs of every guest. The pool is spectacular. It is a zero edge salt water pool with views of the sea. There are three other smaller pools for soaking. The staff at the little bar where we ate our breakfast as well as had cocktails were so friendly. Even the cleaning staff was charming.

Room Tip: The rooms up top require more walking but are well worth it. A deluxe room is plenty spacious for tw...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lorne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

We loved this place....Adrianna was great help....santiago and fredirika we excellent hosts up in the alto area ....our room was beautiful and the view of Stromboli marvelous.....the pool area was very relaxing.....if you are going to panerea this is the place to stay....

Room Tip: If your traveling before June you may be able ask for high room with a view at the hotels low rate...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarrakechGypsies
Malibu, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

This hotel is almost offensive the way that it treats its clientele. The property is special, because the tiny island it is located on is special. The views of Stromboli the neighboring island are amazing. Our deck was a magical place to sit and watch the view and overall we had a fabulous time. That being said unless you have money to absolutely burn I would look into staying at a different hotel and do not get the suites. We opted for the best room in the house and the actual room was pretty pathetic the only thing that it had was a bigger deck. The shower had either no hot water or no water at all. The bathroom taps were rusted and old there was a dirty towel that was shoved on the top shelf in the bathroom that looked as if it had been there for years. The towels themselves were tiny and fraying and old. The owner says that she keeps things simple in order to be more sustainable which I am completely in support of and if the service was amazing and the B and B clean and fresh I would believe her but frankly I think its a sham and a way to cut costs as well disrespectful to clientele that are paying $800 USD for a room?! The Breakfast is inedible no fresh fruit just dry cookies no milk I would recommend skipping the breakfast either trying another restaurant if you are a morning person. Panarea is a special place so if this is the only available place to stay on the island I would recommend staying in the cheapest room and just using it as a place to rest your head at night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Schmutterfly

Travellers are raving about these Panarea hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Panarea is one of the loveliest islands I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. I stayed at the Raya because it seemed the most convenient option. I was aware that it is not a luxury hotel, and was prepared to pay a luxury hotel price anyway as I knew it would cost a premium just to be on the island.

The pool is one of the loveliest I have seen. However the entire stay was seriously marred by the service at the hotel. The boiler in my room exploded and flooded the room, soaking many of my things. The hotel staff decided to wash a 2,000£ dress that had gotten wet without asking me-- and destroying the dress. It was no one's fault that the boiler exploded, however the dress could have been saved had it not been washed. I was astounded that they would wash something without my permission (especially when it had a dry clean only label in Italian). I asked the management for some sort of compensation several times and was told they wouldn't do anything for me. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and never run into such poor treatment at a place with rooms that run upwards of 600 euros. I can't imagine that had I caused 2,000£ of damage to my room they would have let it slide so easily.

I have been emailing the hotel since my return and they have ignored me. So go to Panarea but do not stay at Raya. Most of the staff are lovely but the management is inexcusable. (And as an aside, my room had the smallest shower I have ever seen.)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Soli H
Hamilton, Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was pleasantly surprised upon my recent trip to Hotel Raya. Although it is not an easy place to get to, it is worth the trouble. However. the hotel is not for everyone! There is a tremendous amount of walking in and around the island and hotel, as the island is one big hill.
The members of the staff at the hotel are lovely. And, Miriam Beltrami, the wonderful woman who started the hotel in the 60's, is always pleasant and lovely to talk to.
The rooms have spectacular views! Even though they are a bit outdated, you must realize that you are not on Panarea for creature comforts. You must be quite relaxed to really take it all in and enjoy the full experience.
The hotel so wonderfully organized a boating trip for us with Blue Adventure and it really made us fall in love with the amazing beauty of The Aeolian Islands! Our boat captain Mario Cosenza made sure we saw all the surrounding islands and the baby eruptions of Stromboli.
Overall, a trip to Sicily is not the same without trip to The Aeolian Islands

Room Tip: Try to book a room as high as you can! There might be more steps involved, but the magnificent, pano...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Panarea is a fantastic getaway from absolutely everything in May and June before the hoardes descend. We stayed in Raya for 3 nights on our honeymoon and it was a brilliant place to relax.

Highlights included the amazing saltwater heated pool with wonderful views to Stromboli; the view of the sea and islands off Panarea from our room; the very thoughtful (free) bottle of champagne and fruit for our honeymoon. We also loved our room - with beautful handmade wall hanging and bed cover. The grounds are fantastic with beautfiul plants and flowers. For us, it was pretty near perfect.

So what might there be to dislike at Hotel Raya? Or rather, who might it not suit? The food at the hotel is not excellent - it's certainly not to be sniffed at - but this isn't a foodie destination. That said, there are plenty of restaurants on Panarea. The service is a little hit and miss - certainly when we were there it felt like the staff were absolutely trying their best, but perhaps there were not enough of them. There is very little to do (perfect for honeymoon!) - boattrips and strolls are possible but this is more of a complete relaxation holiday. And it feels a bit like hotel Raya is trying to sell all the contents of the room to you!

Finally, it feels (deliberately) a little rough around the edges - sort of shabby chic Indondesion glamour. If you like it (I did) then great.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank London_Lucy
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

These are the dream islands, the water is truly azure, the people are beyond friendly and this rustic/glamorous accommodation is earthy, functional and has touches of fairy dust everywhere you look...

Room Tip: They are all fabulous rooms, each one is quite a hike, but yikes they are worth every puff!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shayne C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panarea
Hotel Cincotta
#5 of 9 in Panarea
Hotel Ravesi
Hotel Ravesi
#1 of 6 in Malfa

Been to Hotel Raya? Share your experiences!