All reviews walking holiday great food cabrales stunning views personal touch fantastic stay his wife local knowledge jim pilar exodus guide meals hosts walks mountains advice
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a mountaineer ( for fiftyish years) I'm almost ashamed to admit I knew nothing of Los Picos de Europa - a stunning vertical land of limestone, carved with dramatic river gorges but with myriad easy trails to work your way around and through the dramatic countryside.
We were based in this warm, welcoming hotel for a week on a walking tour with Exodus holidays. The rooms were bright and always clean. Bathrooms with powerful, wonderful showers.
Management and staff were ALL alert, helpful and cheery and we enjoyed the meals they prepared for us: Buffet breakfasts with a choice of how the freshly-cooked eggs arrived, packed lunches and an interesting array of alternatives for the evening meals.
We ate out twice - just for the change - in a nearby restaurant mere minutes' walk away, on the recommendation of Jim, the Hotel owner.
The hotel utilises its restaurant windows and its garden spaces outside the downstairs bar area for visitors to get the best views of the picos.
Our room, on the other side of the hotel, faced onto wild flower meadows and other attractive hills. No complaint, there.
So.... Great hotel, great location with the biggest variety of wild flowers we have seen (early May) with the burgeoning promise of even more to flower throughout summer.
We had the services of a great local guide (Alvaro) who knew every nook and cranny, the name of every blossom and bush... and all the geology, history etc of the region - with transport (to/from the trail starts and ends) laid on seamlessly.

We'd happily return next week!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rod M
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I turned up very early and was offered a coffee and a lift to the gorge to let me make the most of my short time here. Welcoming from beginning to end. Meals delicious, I am a vegetarian and that was no challenge at all. Room clean,comfortable and a magnificient view from my first floor window. Small garden to relax in after. Lovely couple, great help in booking my onward bus journey.

Room tip: Try to get first floor facing mountains but even facing the other direction would be lovely too
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank hutchNIreland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel is situated just outside the village and though visible from the main road, there was little road noise. The bar garden was a mass of colour with shaded areas. The proprietors were great with all guests being looked after well. They were great at advising on what to see and do. The bedroom was basic but homely with a comfortable bed and good shower. What else do you need. Food tasted good and was good value. All the staff were friendly at all times.

Room tip: The shower in my room was fine but another of our party had a more 'advanced shower'. The cow bells are probably on the noisiest side but with windows closed this was not an issue. I do not remember there being zircon because it was not needed.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Thejackal2014
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We enjoyed staying here for so many reasons... the place itself is beautiful, our room had an incredible view and the bathtub was the perfect antidote to our cold rainy walk down from Bulnes. My boots began to fall apart and Jim glued the soles back on so we could do the Cares de Gargante hike the next day. We enjoyed the breakfast served and the dinner we had here was delicious. Having a pub onsite was very convienent and we both enjoyed our conversations with Jim and Pillar, if we are lucky enough to return to this area this is where we would stay, no doubt about it.

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ruth V
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel with a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Really good home cooked food, friendly staff and loved the cooked eggs in the morning - Thank you.

I do have to mention the lovely hot showers - high pressure and plenty of lovely hot water at the end of the walking day.

This hotel is on the door step of Picos and we did 5 full days walking with an excellent local guide. Also within easy reach of the coast.

Date of stay: October 2013