“Review pt deux”
Review of Le Beau Rivage

Le Beau Rivage
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Luc-sur-Mer
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have previously posted a review regarding ouwonderful stay at this hotel in July, but because of recent events felt the need to post an update. . Unfortunately on our return to the UK I found that I had been charged twice for the room. I emailed the owner, got an immediate response and refund back to be m credit card. So once again I can recommend a stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: Sea front rooms offer wonderful views
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank suzanne2631

Reviewed 2 August 2013

To all those travellers seeking accomodation in a delghtful area of Normandy, This hotel has great views, however the accomodation is below average, it is in need of restoration, the hygene was poor, I will not go into detail about the shower and toilet ?.
Luc Sur Mer is a delightful small seaside village although not a lot to do when there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Baz917
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Good hotel on sea front, we had a room, overlooking the beach, but I think we go this due to the wind whistling through windows, and other visitors not wanting the rooms, but did it was fine.
Old fashioned charming rooms, with rather outdated but working fittings.

We ate in the dining and had the set menu for 27 euros, which was very tasty.

Overall good value a hotel and I would recommend, but ............

My only gripe was that I was overcharged by the hotel owner when I checked out, on what I had booked throught the website booking site, and I did not realise until I had left.

Room Tip: sea front, if not blowing a howling gale!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to Ouistreham (Caen) Ferry port but booked a couple of nights to enable us to explore the area with its history of the invasion beaches etc. What a brilliant choice! From our initial welcome to the time we said our goodbyes the staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. Our room overlooked the sea with beautiful views but with a tranquillity it is hard to find nowadays. The food was absolutely excellent and for our second night's dinner we had preordered a 'fruits de mer' plateau (This has to be ordered 24hrs in advance to ensure its freshness when it reaches the table). WOW! That's all I can say as it was placed on the table. My partner and her sister had already seen it coming and I had watched their open mouths as it approached. It was huge and it was very generous. Half a crab each, langoustines, crevettes, bulots (whelks), shrimps, winkles and at least a dozen oysters took up the whole of the width of our table. I think we had so much that we actually had to leave a few whelks. Of course all the other diners were envious although one couple had obviously read the menu properly and they were tucking into theirs too. It was fabulous - no other way to describe it.

I cannot fault the staff. The owner was the most friendly hotel proprietor I think I have ever met and spoke very good English (Although we were still practising our French). Loads of smiles all round. Our waitress was a delightfully cheerful young lady without being starchy or stuffy and gave exactly the standard of service which I like.

The hotel is situated very conveniently for visiting the many sites of D-Day landings in the area and I have to admit to getting a bit emotional when I saw some of the memorials. Mainly these beaches were invaded by Canadian troops and I must take my hat off to the way the Canadians have remembered their soldiers. They have also given reference to the British troops who accompanied them. - All quite touching.

Parking at the hotel is easy and free. I did not use the car while staying there and was perfectly happy with its security and safety.

Please - just go there!!! Experience the warmth of welcome and service which we did. I am sure you will not be disappointed. We'll be going back for sure.

Room Tip: Several rooms are with sea view and, if these are available it seems that the staff will fill these...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Frank L
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Our three-generation family of nine, ages 16 to 70, enjoyed a two night stay here in early July. As others have noted, there is a steep staircase to the upper floors, and the rooms and bathrooms vary in size and details, but these are aspects of an authentic traditional French family-run hotel. Philippe, who greeted us, was very helpful in offering us a choice of rooms that would best accomodate our party. Comfort and cleanliness happily coexist with charm here: comfortable beds, good plumbing, and blackout shades allowing for late sleeping if desired. Housekeepers were pleasant and efficient.

We wanted to keep our schedule flexible so we didn't arrange for meals in the restaurant, and felt no pressure to do so.

At the end of the beach, the location is quiet and offers beautiful views. We enjoyed the mini-golf neaby, and strolling to a cafe on the beach for breakfast or afternoon coffee. Luc-sur-mer is a good base for excursions to Bayeux and the D-day beaches, but also offers beach activities and a pretty municipal park for those who want a break from intense sightseeing.

Having researched many alternative Normandy beach hotels, and having previously stayed at a different hotel in Luc-sur-mer, I was very happy to have chosen Hotel Beau Rivage, and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If it's important to have a shower vs. a bathtub, contact Philippe directly and I'm sure he...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2012

a 2 star hotel and restaurant facing the sea , excellent food and service from a friendly staff a good menu at a reasonable price , there were parisien , english dutch and belgian number plates in the car park .you cant miss it it is pink , it looks a little tatty outside but is being closed in the winter for complete upgrade. at the moment it is still very good ,inside. it competes within 200 yardswith a 4 star hotel but the hotel and restaurant is often full as it is a more reasonable menu , some people said to us they stayed a month!!!

Room Tip: sea views at front but not noisy rearrooms at it is a small road
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank steveoldrid
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We wanted somewhere to stay overnight on the way back to the Tunnel and found this family run hotel right on 'Juno Beach'. It was inexpensive so we weren't expecting much, but the welcome was warm and the room and public areas were adequate and very clean. We had no shower in our en suite and the bath was tiny, but neither of these was a problem and I didn't say anything, but when we settled the bill the friendly proprietor offered an unsolicited apology, explaining that we'd taken the last room, and knocked 20€ off the bill. The hotel is in a lovely position and 'does what it says on the tin'. If you're looking for somewhere to lay your head it's perfect.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Ian W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luc-sur-Mer
Hotel Restaurant Le Saint Aubin
#1 of 1 in Lion-sur-mer
La Villa Andry
La Villa Andry
#4 of 8 in Ouistreham

Been to Le Beau Rivage? Share your experiences!