“perfect for our needs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gores Landing
Plank Road Cottages & Marina
Vancouver, Canada
“perfect for our needs”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My family came to Toronto for my son's wedding and we wanted to get away all together afterwards. Our group was 13 - myself and my partner and my 3 other adult children and their partners with one grandchild,all from Vancouver, my sister and her husband from Ireland and my son and his new wife from Toronto.
The resort provide clean, basic accommodation.The cottages are old but are well equipped and comfortable. The beach was good for swimming.We stayed 3 nights and for non- fishers, that was enough.The resort is well run. Lydia and Etienne were helpful and very thoughtful towards the just married couple.We all had a good time .

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank linda2747

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Moorefield
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We decided to explore the wonderful driving roads of Northumberland County on our Motorcycles. Gores Landing was very central to our day trips. Our cottage was clean and everything worked. The hosts, Etienne and Lydia and family were great. They were very accomodating. The place is well kept and the scenery is beautiful.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BillAndMarion
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My husband is a fisherman....i am not.
But since it was his birthday, i decided to find a nice getaway for him to go fishing for the weekend. I found Plank Cottages online and I was not disappointed.
Our cottage was literally right ON THE LAKE (most of the cottages are...) they had rental boats if you didnt have one...they had a swimming spot for the kids....all of the cottages have your own bbq and there is such a sense of community that by the end of the weekend you felt as if your hosts Lydia and Et were extended family. My husband went out in the boat for a good portion of the day and I stayed behind and enjoyed the sun and the sitting chairs on the dock looking out on the lake.
It has a rustic charm with a good soul...its perfect for anyone looking for a relaxing time to feel like you are walking around in your own backyard that just happens to have a lake. I read some bad reviews about this place...but since being under new management --- i'm not really sure it applies. we will be returning! And i just might go fishing next time! Thanks Lydia and ET !

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrssilk
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Rustic and laid back charm. Small, unpretentious cottages that meet all your basic needs. Beautiful lake view, good for fishing but not for swimming. Historic village, nice for walks. Can rent boats & quiet. Have visited often.

Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank MargoRichards
Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We were looking for a fisherman's retreat. Wow our cottage was originally a boat house hanging over the water and recently redone with a small dock for our boat and a breathtaking view!

Brian and Laura, the owners, were warm and friendly and managed to create the perfect environment to relax and have fun.

Of course the fishing was fantastic, we came for the walleye and pretty much maxed out our catch every day and took 10 lbs filled back with us.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We stayed at Plank Road Cottages for 4 days, 3 nights. The photos on the site are exactly how it is. They state " rustic, historic feel". Very true. It's a place to relax and enjoy the fishing experience. The site area is small. Not a lot of open space. We really didn't expect anything else. We have stayed at other cottages in Peterborough and Wasaga, so we know that these types of fishing area cottages are all the same. Our party had 3 cottages booked, 1 large one to accommodate 10 people, 1 3-bedroom, 1 2-bedroom. Our 2 bedroom cottage was just newly renovated. It was extremely small, but cozy enough. The bedrooms had no doors, just curtains. They were just big enough to accommodate the double bed, and walk around 2 sides of the bed. No room for a dresser (that's why the dressers were in the living/kitchen area. The couch was just gross. Old, shabby, dirty, and full of what looks like cat hair. I had to cover it with the bed cover to be able to sit on it. The bathroom was split into two. One for the toilet and sink, the other is the shower. They were okay. The toilet looked old, but tolerable. I thought it had a stinky smell. But I realized it was the water from the taps. This was a big turn off for me. The water at the cottage was foul smelling. The owners said it was safe enough to even drink. Yeah, right. I figure it was the cottage, and it is suppose to be like that. We boiled, cooked and drank from the water we bought. They did have a complete kitchen. They even supplied coffee filters, dishwashing soap and scrub. The bathroom was supplied with 2 toilet paper. That was nice, since some places don't do that. The 3-bedroom cottage wasn't bad. It was very roomy actually. Old, but okay. The bathroom looked clean and newly renovated. But not our standard home kind. It is for the cottage. The large cottage was actually 2 cottages connected and separated by a door in between, so it was pretty good in size. It looked like it was on the edge of the land, and mostly on the water. It was old and super "rustic". The walls had writing on them, paint was coming off, and each wall had it's own special finishing (well not finished). The ceiling was open, you can see all the wiring. The bedrooms were ugly. The one full bathroom was clean and a good size. The other 2 piece one was old. It looked like the large kitchen was put together by a blind man. Lots of seating in this cottage though. There was a long hallway/terrace that connected the 2 cottages that made it into one. It was creepy. The view sucked. The view was the marina which "parked boats". The water was dirty, and sometimes had a foul smell. The windows were screened on the terrace/hallway. Full of spider webs and very, very dirty. The good thing about it though, it added extra space to the cottage where the kids enjoyed hanging out. Now for the kids, there really isn't a lot to do. We were just thankful that our kids enjoyed running around and just hanging out. There was no playground. No private swimming area. The kids had to go to a close-by public swimming area (beach like, but very, very small). It wasn't safe because it is the same place where fishermen/boaters load their boats. It's a fishing area too. (See photo with the gazebo, that where it is). There were local kids on bikes riding fast to land in the water. We were worried about the safety of our kids getting hit by them. They did have a paddleboat and a canoe as stated on the website. But that is only one canoe and one paddleboat for 11 cottages. We were just thankful that it wasn't busy, and our kids had use of them most of the time. Most of the cottages were empty. Wonder why. The owners seem pleasant enough. I actually was worried about going there after reading the one review from here. But we had already booked, and it was only just 1 review. I had actually emailed the owner and asked about it. He said it wasn't like that. The renters were actually the guests from hell. So I left it alone. As long as you followed the rules there, which were decent ones, it was fine. Like I said they were pleasant enough until the last night. The 1st reviewer was right about that. "HOT and COLD". We had issues with the internet service. On their website they say to bring your laptop because they offer wireless internet. True. They gave us a password and we were able to log on. It was soooo slow that going on it was just useless. We didn't care, we were there to relax, so we just used it to check our emails. The kids went on a few times to play games, but stopped because of the speed. The night before we left, the lady owner came banging on the door and started yelling and pointing her finger at my sister-in-law who was alone at the cottage. Yelling at her to disconnect the internet because we were downloading movies or other stuff. And if we didn't we would be billed another $100. My sisterinlaw said we weren't. But the screaming lady didn't want to hear anything. Then her husband, another ignorant man, who was at their place (next to our large cottage) was also angrily screaming down at us to close our connection. My sisterinlaw, a quiet person, wanted to end their conversation so she just agreed. I came in a few minutes after and she told me about it. I was livid. My sisterinlaw and i both verified that no downloads were ever done. We made sure that the kids were on approved sites. So after making sure that we were right, I went to see the owners. Before I was even fully in their reception area, the man was already trying to apologize to me and explain. I was not taking that crap. I wanted to know what he meant by downloads. I am a professional web designer, so I knew my way around the internet. He didn't even explain his version of download, because right away, he said that he was wrong, it was a virus or worm that came from our laptop that made him get errors on his server. Whatever. It doesn't look like he knew what he was talking about. I figured it as much, when I looked into our laptop and saw that there was nothing wrong. So basically he and his wife were ready to accuse of downloading movies and other stuff without any evidence and without actually knowing what they hell they were talking about. That was very unacceptable to me. I made him apologize to my sisterinlaw, which he did, red in the face. His wife should of too. Nobody should have a finger pointed at them like that. But she ran away after I walked into the reception, probably embarrassed by what she did. We followed their rules, yet they did that to us. Totally unacceptable, and totally unforgivable. Their ignorant and very unprofessional actions were just terrible. Just for that, we will never go back, and we definitely will not recommend this place. I understand what the first review said about their attitude. Now, I will be fair. The place is okay. Not for families with children who are looking for more stuff to do than fishing. If you are an avid fisherman, or a quiet couple just wanted to sit in a cottage and fish, than this place is for you. Just don't upset the owners.

• Liked — View of Rice Lake and quietness of location
  • Disliked — Owners, lack of things to do for the kids.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
Reviewed 26 July 2007

As a family, we do a minimum of one cottage trip every summer. This year, our destination was Plank Road Cottages & Marina (Rice Lake) in Gore’s Landing, Ontario. NEVER AGAIN!

Gosh – I’m not even sure where to begin!!! We had two cottages booked – one was booked from Friday – Sunday evening (they started to kick us out by early afternoon) and the second cottage was booked for one week (Thursday – Thursday). The location was nice, everything seemed okay – the owners seemed lovely over the telephone when we were booking it… but little did we know!!! Here are the main issues encountered by my family, and our neighbouring cottage guests staying there.

- Prices were different from what was listed on the website (no, we did not go on a long weekend, just a regular July weekend). Prices for everything that is – rooms, and visitors! They ripped us off because they knew we were booking last minute and our choices were limited (and it wasn’t cheap!).
- The policies they dictate onsite don’t match what they have on their website – their excuse was that the info online was outdated.
- Their website says the place is “old and rustic” – try dirty, poorly maintained, and dingy! Their bathrooms were filthy and pretty much falling apart. The toilet was all rusted at the base (on the inside), just gross!!! And oh, there’s no shower pressure!
- Their communal bathrooms and showers (for those whose cottages don’t have that inside the cabin) had perpetual line ups, so if you need to take a relaxing shower after a day out fishing, you can forget it!
- They do not have camp/bon fires. They tell their guests (before arrival or upon arrival) that they have portable campfires for EACH cottage. That’s just not true! We had booked two cottages on the property (each with two bedrooms, which by the way is essentially one room split into two with curtains as their doors), and they only gave us one campfire. But we considered ourselves lucky – the group in the cottage beside us didn’t even get one – the owners said they didn’t have any left! So the group of four spent their entire vacation up there, without a campfire!
- Owners are incredibly rude. Many people staying there were saying the same thing. The owner apparently sneered at a guest when they asked her for an extra pillow (they had one per person in each room) asking WHY she needed it (DUH!!!). Her husband (also an owner) was hot & cold – one minute he’s yelling at guests, the next he’s walking around greeting them!! Very strange. The owner’s dog by the way was loud, and poorly trained.
- A group beside us wanted to put up a small open gazebo on the property (on the grass where their cottage picnic table was placed) to get some shade from the sun but they were not allowed to do so saying it was out of policy. Again, not listed on their website or mentioned before arrival.
- Although their website says you’re allowed guests, you’re not and if you are, you have to pretty much beg the owners to let your guests (2) in, even though you’re paying for them.
- The cottage plumbing (specifically cottage 11) has a some kind of a leak in the pipes, so if you wash dishes and then walk out, mind the puddles that are coming from under the cottage onto your walk way.
- No proper beach for the kids.
- They advertise a pedal boat and canoe included in the rental but they don’t say that there is only one canoe and one pedal boat between 11 cottages and there’s no guarantee that it will be available when you need/want it.

I could go on and on about what a nightmare Plank Road Cottages & Marina was! Trust me, no matter how desperate you get, don’t stay there and waste your money!!! At least not in the ones we stayed at (and I find it hard to believe that the rest are Taj Mahals compared to ours!). Two people from our group went and stayed at the Victoria Inn instead (they couldn’t take Plank Road Cottages & Marina anymore!). Victoria Inn is just down the street and it’s beautiful!!!! But if you’re headed there to do some fishing like us, there’s another cottage/camp ground just beside Victoria Inn. Try that out.

All in all, we made the best of a bad situation. What choice did we have?! Thank goodness we had great weather, and were not limited on what we could do outside of the property. My advice though… Save your money and your sanity—DON’T STAY AT PLANK ROAD COTTAGES & MARINA!!

• Liked — Rice Lake, it's beautiful.
  • Disliked — Incredibly poor value for your money.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank emem007
plankroad, Owner at Plank Road Cottages & Marina, responded to this review, 19 January 2009
This is the guest that will never be booked again. The initial concept was that because she had put 12 people into a private cottage for four people before, when the owner wasn't around, she should be able to do it at Plank Road. We stand by our policies including overcrowding for the experience it gives to all our guests. From there, her visit went down hill (for us the owners that had to deal with her and the other guests) as she tryed to push every limit.

We provide a great lakeside retreat in a historic setting. There is nothing in our materials that say we are Club Med.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gores Landing
#1 of 2 in Keene
Golden Beach Resort
Golden Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Roseneath

Been to Plank Road Cottages & Marina? Share your experiences!