All reviewshot tubwood burnerbunk barndruids templeno electricityhen partytea lightscool boxshower blocklog cabinfairy lightsextra blanketsoff gridcafe foodcamping experiencegreat cafehand soap
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had my hen do here a couple of weekends ago and it was fantastic! The woodland 'shacks' were brilliant, the stove kept us toasty warm and it was highly amusing trying to find the right shack in complete darkness - as others reviewers have said you definitely need a torch! I was lucky enough to be in the top bunk and being able to look out at the stars in the middle of the night was beautiful. The staff at Bivouac were brilliant, they couldn't have been more helpful. We had a cocktail making session on the Friday night followed by dinner in the café, the food was delicious and we all thought it was great value for money.
All in all a fantastic experience, I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Thanks to all the staff who made it a weekend to remember!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I saw it advertising a New Years Eve celebration with a hog roast and live band, so we took our friends with us, not knowing what to expect we found it exceeded our expectations in all areas. The arrival drinks and canopies were lovely, the hog roast and salads were wonderful followed by chocolate marshmallows and christmas pudding cornets! Yum yum!!!!! The band were exceptional and even my husband and I who are not know for dancing spent the whole evening on our feet jigging,!!!!!! The staff were lovely and we came away having had wonderful evening and felt that 2014 had started in a really positive way, thankyou to everyone who made our evening special. When can we get tickets for next New Years Eve!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pOtter1_11
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Had an amazing time at my sister-in-law-to-be's hen do. The setting was idyllic and it was great getting back to basics with no electricity - what better way to enjoy a log cabin than with fire and candle light. Even enjoyed the bracing showers!

The staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much bother, particularly the cafe staff who were so accommodating in the lead up to the break and throughout.

The cabins were great. They were equipped with everything we needed but retained the feeling that we were in the middle of nowhere.

Would definitely return and would recommend this to anyone! Thanks for a memorable weekend!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've just returned from my hen party where our group took over 3 of the woodland huts. It was ideal for us - the huts were beautifully fitted out and contained everything we needed. The setting was gorgeous - such a lovely view over the fields in the morning. We arrived in the evening and it was pretty dark so make sure you bring a head torch along with extra candles and lanterns for inside the hut. I would also recommend bringing wellies rather than walking boots as they're so much easier to pull on and off when you need to nip between the huts and back to the car park - it was pretty muddy underfoot. The staff at Bivouac were all lovely - incredibly friendly and happy to help. They were easy to get hold of on the out of hours mobile number and were more than happy to come up to the huts when we needed a battery for the smoke alarm. We ate at the cafe on the first evening and the food was delicious. We also took part in a Christmas wreath making workshop and the cafe provided mulled wine and cheese - and plenty of it. Thanks very much for a lovely stay. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you.

Room Tip: Go for the huts if you're travelling out of the summer. Once you get the fire going they're lovely and cosy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had no idea what was in store as the long weekend had been arranged by my wife for our 27th wedding anniversary. We have been fans of the great outdoor adventure most of our lives and enjoy Yurts, tepees, log cabins anything quirky really. We were met by a young man who showed us the shack down a muddy track. Would have appreciated a little assistance or at least offer of assistance with the luggage (tricky underfoot in the mud carrying your cases, food etc rather than than trying to identify some of the local fungus). The shack was great and free refills for the wood stove at the shop. No problems with the primitive but functional fixtures and fittings as you know what you are getting into when booking. Druids temple was an interesting folly and the countryside lovely with herons, deer and other assorted wildlife in abundance. The cafe at the Bivouac produced excellent food and the interior was imaginatively fitted out with furniture constructed from machinery and local timber such as stools made from clutch plates and tractor seats with skillfully put together hand made ballustrades and bannisters. Everything was very organic and recycled and did justice to the owners vision. On the down side we felt that service was lacking and attention to detail needed a little work to justify the price tag. For instance within an hour of unpacking we decided to start cooking our meal on the camp stove, the gas lasted 5 minutes and ran out! We then rang the out of hours phone number and had to leave a message as no-one responded. Eventually I had to make my way down to the farm house and speak to the people on reception who were hardly empathetic although the problem was remedied promptly. The choices of food items in the shop were limited to organic drinks and snack bars. Apparently it was not worth keeping bacon, sausages and so on as during this time of the season there is not enough demand. Sorry folks but I want my cooked breakfast in the morning and not have to drive to the Coop at Masham to get them. We had also pre-booked a hot tub for £60 for the entire day. It was fairly obvious that the staff were not keen on setting this up as we had various excuses and attempts to avoid doing so i.e. "it,s not working". Then we could not have it until 2pm on the day which was not much good as most of the party had to leave at 3pm, eventutally and after much badgering the hot tub was finally made ready, very nice too with a few beers and the fairy lights lit as a backdrop in the pitch black. So in summation, accommodation very good but the service lacked. Please pay a little more attention to your guests and their needs as this has the potential to be a little gold mine if you get the balance right. Customer service excellence should be consistent throughout and not vary depending on the time of season or how many guests that you might have. Would still come again though.

Room Tip: Bring powerful torches. Be prepared to slog your luggage through the mud when applicable. Remind the children that technology ceases to exist at this point unless you enjoy watching them panic as their battery power keeps declining with no means of charging up!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family