“Black potato crisps ..... Brilliant”

Vennell's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Masham
Price range: US$33 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Vennell's is a stunning grade II listed building in the heart of Masham an area of outstanding beauty. The food is clean, unfussy and heavily influenced by the area that surrounds it. Local meat and game feature heavily, fish and shellfish from the north east coast and native lobster events in July.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Yet again an excellent evening. Lovely menu.
Highly recommend the sea bream, as it comes with the black potato crisps.
Love the salted caramel ice cream.
The slip Dover sole as a starter And the pork also highly recommended by one of our party.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We went here for dinner on a quiet Thursday evening. When making the reservation I asked if they did vegetarian dishes as the sample menu on the internet did not have any vegetarian main courses. They must have noted this on the reservation as when we arrived we were offered a number of different dishes that the chef could make. Unbeatable attention to detail and customer service. The starters we had were excellent and my wife's vegetarian main course was reportedly fantastic. I was a bit disappointed by my main course. Desserts were terrific

The restaurant is very small and with only a few other customers it did seem a bit quiet and lacking in atmosphere. The 'whispering quotient' is quite high (to steal an idea from the Daily Telegraph's food critic).
Having said that we would happily go back.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went to Vennells on sat evening as were staying in masham for a few days just need to say that the food was absolutely amazing ! It was the last night of the lobster menu and each of the four courses were wonderful Jon kindly did steak for my husband as he is not a lobster lover and he deemed it to be one of the best he has had. We found the staff to be friendly especially the young lady (sorry didn't know her name !) and also Laura who chatted to us in the square the following night. We can't wait to go back and only sorry we don't live closer as we love such quality food .

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Excellent meal had by the two of us during our week away in the Dales. It was a set menu celebrating the Lobster Festival, so I can't comment on the usual a la carte menu. What I can say though is the food (loved the tomato consomme) was excellent.
Would love to try out the menu during the Grouse Week, but alas I can't be in Yorkshire all the time!

Super restaurant, excellent service, wonderful food; need I say more.

1  Thank Janet M
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A party of 13 celebrating my wife's 50th birthday. We couldn't have picked anywhere better. The food was perfection and the atmosphere and service were second to none. Muriel is a treasure . Jon and Laura have got it dead right with fine dining of the best quality and perfect quantity. With many thanks .