other travellers have booked this property

Review of La Maison Verte

Downstairs twin room La Maison Verte
Bathroom La Maison Verte
Living Room La Maison Verte
Living Room La Maison Verte
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Terrible - based on 1 review

Reviews from our community

FarAway71...
“I didn't like it! But I had a partial refund .”
Reviewed 27 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017

Before you read my review I must say the owner gave me a partial refund without difficulty as I stayed 3 nights there.
Now, I rented several cottages through the years so I have an idea what can be done and how proud the owners are of their rentals. And what I can expect when I arrive I used the facilities happily because it was clean and lovely to be there. So base on my previous experience I leave this review.
Well, I think this little cottage can be a great retreat for anyone if the owner takes time to do some necessary works, specially with the smell from the damp. And the bathroom needs to be redone completely to my only opinion. It wasn't really the best shower ever and again the smell in the bathroom needs attention. To be fair, the cottage had lots of house perfume but I had to take them out as it made it worse for me. One bad smell was enough without adding the artificial strong smell on top. Now if you have severe asthma like me then any damp place is not really good and I think beside the bed this didn't help me to sleep. In the cottage I was cold and funny enough I hate heat and love winter because of the cold. I can be outside in winter in T-shirt with no problem. but the cold in the cottage was different that is my only guess it was the damp cause me being cold bare in mind I rented in early August.
Now regarding the furniture : The beds downstairs were really really uncomfortable. I barely slept for 3 nights and the 3rd one I took the decision to go home if I can't find another place. The chair outside on the terrace was fixed with strong tapes and not very clean. I didn't use the bed upstairs so I can't comment on them.
I didn't cook there because of the smell, the bathroom's door is in the kitchen . A note was left to inform me that the dishwasher had a small leak ( I didn't use it) but I discovered so does the washing machine and the shower as the door doesn't close properly. I found the furniture is old and tired. The cleaning was the bare minimum really .
Communication with the owner was good , he took time to reply . If the work is done to put this cottage to a minimum standard the owner will have a lovely place to be proud to rent and will make the future customers happy to rent.
To leave on a positive note, when I arrived in the driveway I found the cottage really charming and pittoresque.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
28 Aug 2017
We have been renting our 2 houses for 12 years. Most rentals come through other popular websites. If you look at the reviews on those sites, you'll see that our visitors have had a completely different experience to Jackie. In fact, in those 12 years, Jackie is only the third guest to have been dis-satisfied. All three have something in common - their comments don't match those of other guests, or our own experience. We have to take the guests' comments at face value and assume their view is genuine, even if it is difficult for us to understand why someone can have such a different point of view to people who stayed immediately before or after. So, in all 3 cases, we have refunded money, even though we have not agreed with the opinion expressed.
We arrived on the Saturday after Jackie left on the Tuesday and stayed in the house for 10 days. The only smell we could notice was the slightly musty smell any house has when it has been shut up for days at a time. This cleared within a short time of opening the doors. We've never had people complain about the beds. One of the beds in the downstairs bedroom has a new mattress on it. The other one does now as well. There are 2 other bedrooms in the house - one with a Superking size bed and expensive memory foam mattress. Why Jackie simply didn't move to one of these rooms is a mystery. We had just had a new sink unit and dishwasher installed. My cleaner discovered there was a very small leak from its waste pipe that also serves the washing machine and left a note to this effect. This leak has now been repaired. The description says the property is rustic. We have also used some vintage furniture to add to the charm. This includes a genuine 1950's formica top table and 2 Lloyd Loom chairs on the patio. One of the chairs had a rip in the cover which, again, has now been repaired. The bathroom and kitchen still have the original tiles - is this rustic and vintage, or in need of updating?
If this sort of taste does not match yours, you probably won't like the house. If you pay €90 a night for a 3 bed cottage and expect The Ritz, or a luxury villa in Nice - you'll be disappointed.
Finally, when Jackie arrived, she emailed me to say the electricity main switch had tripped. I sent instructions to correct the problem immediately. I then followed up with 3 further messages by text and email to ask if everything was ok. I received no reply to any of my messages. I simply got an email on the Tuesday night to say that Jackie had left the house as she could no longer stay there.
If the problems were so serious - why didn't she report them to me immediately or respond to my messages?

Travellers are raving about these Hesdin hotels

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing