“Worst place to stay in NWT”
Review of North Country Inn

North Country Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hay River
North Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hay River B&B and Inns
Palmerston, Canada
“Worst place to stay in NWT”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We booked into The North Country Inn in Hay River on Aug 15. The lady that owns the place, said, she was putting a #350.00 hold on our credit card. When I asked why $350.00 , she replied, that a lot of people steal stuff from the room. Belive me, there was NOTHING in the room worth stealing.
The beds were awful, the towels cheap, the room smelled. But the most annoying thing , was at breakfast the next morning, there was a sign,on the coffee pot, that said the 1st cup of coffee, was commlentary, with the breakfast. But if you wanted to take a coffee with you, on your journey, the cost was $4.50!! Yet, there was a coffee maker in the room. When checking out, I made sure, that the $350. hold, was released. I asked every place, we stayed after that, the amount of the hold, and it was never more, than the cost of the room.

Room Tip: There is NO good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KayA404

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed at the inn on 19th February 2012 for one night having arrived on the Buffalo Airways flight from Yellowknife. Motel style, ie the room door opens to the outside.

The free shuttle bus driver was there to meet me, I forget his name, very helpful. The inn is only a short drive from the Hay River airport.
I was allocated a room on the ground floor, the place seemed quite quiet, just one truck in the car park.
Wifi worked for free, there was a microwave, percolator, kettle, cable TV etc. Room was adequate for one night and the heating was efficient (was -20 outside). Bed ok.
Hay River was mainly shut on a Sunday.

The shuttle bus took me (just me) to the airport at 0630, friendly guy, as were all the people behind the desk. Great staff.

Breakfast was free and a little limited, but perfectly acceptable.

I would stay there again but as my visit was purely to see Buffalo then it's unlikely in the sort term.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2010

On my journey to Hay River I stayed at this motel for 2 nights and I have to say I enjoyed my stay immensely. I walked into the front door and noticed a little store front area and also the cozy Continental breakfast area. When staying at a motel, I have always enjoyed a Continental breakfast. Food was good and a excellent menu variety.

I stayed in a single room. Room was very clean and comfortable. Could use some updated furniture. One positive is that it did have a nice new TV. My internet experience was ok. Little sporadic in service at times but connection was no problem. Housekeeping staff was pleasant and seemed to enjoy their job.

Front desk staff was friendly and knowledgeable. They were quick in the checking me in. The next leg of my journey was a trip to Yellowknife which staff helped me out immensely and even made a reservation for me at a motel in Yellowknife which turned out to be a good experience as well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank tootsieconnection
calgary
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Travelling to the NWT on business we viewed the website and were prepared for a degree of "rustic charm" from a place billing itself as an "authentic northern hotel" but for $160.00/night corporate rate (worse for the poor guy without a corporate rate) this was really unacceptable. The rooms are small and they smell bad and could only be more utilitarian if you had to build your own bed--old tv, chair and bed with 2 thin pillows. While I could not say they were dirty, I did not see evidence of the "pristine" cleaning they were advertised to get every day. There is an air conditioning unit but it does not work and it is hot, hot in Hay River in July. That the decor is horrible and the bathroom small and dark could be tolerated, but there is not even a microwave, let alone a fridge as an amenity and you need a cold beer to make this place bearable. There was a cold "continental" breakfast in the morning, but I'm not sure what continent counts kool-aid as a satisfactory substitute for juice--even Tang would have been better. They said that they provided internet, but I could not get any connection the entire 2nd night between 4 and midnight. While we were in Hay River, we saw other places that looked quite a bit better than this, so unless it is a choice between this and being eaten by the horse flies, keep on driving. I will say that the staff was friendly but they don't have much to work with.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Hay River hotels

Been to North Country Inn? Share your experiences!