“Good pub food in Esher”

The Bear
Ranked #24 of 59 Restaurants in Esher
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good pub food in Esher”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Great service and selection with plenty of beers to chose from, good atmosphere as the old pub still has a lot of its old charm. Food was fresh and hot when served with not mush of a wait. Choice of eating in bar or in restaurant plus a outside area but is used by smokers as well

Visited July 2014

Ashford, United Kingdom
“Good pub food”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

A friend and I meet here for lunch every couple of months or so and are always impressed. The service is first class and the waitress taking lunch orders in the seated areas is particularly impressive. We usually choose from the sandwich menu which are meals in themselves: good quality bread and ingredients served with fries and salad. The chicken club is huge and very good value. We have a leisurely two to three hours without being hassled but at the same time receive attentive service. Very good and well worth a visit. I will go one evening and try the main menu, which looks good!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank CliveT64
Hereford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Breakfast before Sandown”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Decided to pop in with 6 friends before going to the races at Sandown. Only looking for a snack, but was delighted to be offered a full english breakfast at 11.30am! You wouldn't get that in alot of places, especially on a race day! The staff were exceptionally friendly and eager to please. Won't be our last visit, roll on the eclipse.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Julie R
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing and expensive”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Went for lunch. Busy but not that full but pub snack meal took 25 minutes from order to arrive and was not very good and expensive for what was served.
Seems to be living on its position in town.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank pateena
Kingston upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
“Not Great First Impression”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I live not too far away and had wanted to try this place for ages as it looks interesting from the outside. We only paid a brief visit for drinks, but I was really irritated by the attitude of the bar staff. First, the barman wasn't paying attention when I asked for my drink and tried to give me the wrong one, and then we asked for some salted peanuts with our drinks. He asked if we'd like dry-roasted, to which we said 'no, just salted please'. He poured some in to a bowl and put it on the bar. They looked very much like dry-roasted so I said I think these are dry-roasted not salted and he assured me that they were salted, but just looked like dry-roasted. I wasn't convinced, so again said that I was pretty sure these weren't salted nuts, at which he went over to his manager and conferred with her. He returned and said they are definitely salted. We took them outside with our drinks and I tasted one (which I should have done at the bar) and they were unmistakeably dry-roasted. I went back inside and the barman and manager were at the bar and he nudged her to look up as I went in and they exchanged a look and watched me approach the bar. 'Problem?' she asked before I'd said anything. Yes, I said, could I please just have a bowl of plain old salted peanuts. They exchanged another look and laughed, and the manager said 'OK, what it is, is that we don't actually have any salted ones so that's why we gave you dry-roasted instead'. It may seem silly to be so irritated over a bowl of nuts, but it wasn't the nuts but the principle - I felt that they had basically just taken me for a complete fool instead of just saying 'sorry, we don't have any' at the beginning. The pub itself seems OK with reasonably nice, if a little too trendy and try-hard decor, the outdoor area is a pleasant place to have a drink, and my wine was very good. I'd hate to let a silly incident over a bowl of nuts stop me from going thare again to experience the place more fully, but the staff's attitude left a bad taste.

• Visited April 2014