“Missing a basic fundamental - sleep!”
Review of The Bear Hotel

The Bear Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Esher B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Let's start on the positive side.
Really helpful and pleasant staff who couldn't have been more helpful. The young lady a breakfast did a great job (although it was very busy) and the breakfast was delivered hot and as ordered. Also very tasty eggs benedict. My room was of reasonable size and clean. Nice touch to have gratis bottled sparkling water supplied, chilled in the fridge. The Bear was also a reasonable price for the location.
Now for the negative.
My basic reason for staying in a hotel is to get some sleep. I was allocated the Polar Bear room. No way you could hibernate in here. Right over looking the traffic lights used as a christmas tree at the start of a drag race. The Bear was there before the traffic junction but I think the bed was too. Broken springs all over so I tried by doubling the quilt up and sleeping on top. No use. Added all the available towels and spare pillows to no avail. I the words of Eurovision nil point. Shame really......................

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid a room the the front and confirm the mattress has been changed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We went to The Bear for Sunday lunch. There was one other table seated, yet we still had to wait a half hour for our food. My husband and I ordered the roast beef. The beef was dry and stringy, the roast potatoes were rock hard and shrivelled in the middle, the mashed potato was watery and tasteless, the veg, roast parsnips and boiled carrots were flavourless. The Yorkshire pudding was greasy and salty. My son had spicy squid which he couldn't chew and left it. Nothing tasted as it should. It was a huge disappointment, at a cost of £14.95 per roast lunch, which is very overpriced for a Sunday lunch in a pub. I had stomach ache all afternoon. We certainly will never go there again. The total bill was £52.00. Three meals, two soft drinks and 1 pint!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank gerripl
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We arrived at the hotel and on first impression it looked very nice, staff were friendly and check in was easy enough - the lady showed us up to our room (Brown grizzly bear) and it went down hill from there. Where do I start? The room was the size of a shoebox, the bed was broken, there was no ceiling light just small lamps beside the bed, the windows were practically falling apart, there were stains up the walls, there was a large damp/mould patch on the ceiling in the bathroom, the skirting boards were black and mouldy, there was damp in the cupboard, not what we expected from the very cleverly angled photos on their site. We then went down for something to eat, I had small fish and chips which when I say small I mean SMALL for nearly £7 I was shocked when it came out and my partner had the fajitas, what a disappointment they were overbearing taste of rosemary (who puts rosemary on fajitas?) we told the waitress and all we got was a 'we appreciate your feedback'. Breakfast was ok - but slow. When we checked out after a bad night sleep we begrudgingly handed over our money for our very over priced room and made the man aware of our complaints and he advised us 'I’ll pass your comments over to our manager and she will give you a courtesy call' - we stayed on Thursday 9th and I’m still waiting for our courtesy call!!! Luckily for The Bear they are in walking distance of Sandown Racecourse - so if you want somewhere within a 3 minute walk and aren't fussed about where you rest your head then stay here - otherwise spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2012

On walking in to the pub entrance it looks a bit rough but don't let that fool you, Check in was very friendly and helpful and a rare thing these days I was shown to my room, I was allocated room 4The Black Bear which was at the back of the hotel and very quiet. Slept very well both nights I stayed there and found the bed very comfortable, nice selection of drinks provide in the room with fresh milk in the fridge, changed both days, also biscuits provided and fruit and water in the fridge all include in the price, breakfast both days was fine and all included, only slight negative was the sausage had chilly in it, I don't mind that but I could see some people having problems.
One star off as all though the room was clean and well presented some of the paint work cold do with a lick of paint

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2012

we have just stayed at the bear for the racing good location,and friendly staff but we felt the rooms needed a lick of paint and hoover the dust up around the carpet edges the bathroom has some mold around the edges.we were going to eat there but the menu looked disappointing ,so we went to one called red peppers which was lovely. come on youngs brewery start spending some of your money on the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I had to stay here as I was working close by at the Yehudi menuhin School the next day. My room (Polar Bear) was spotless and although it looked out onto the main street it was very quiet. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and the breakfast in the morning was excellent. I think it was a little pricey, but that would seem to be the going price in the area. I would recommend this as a place to stay, and confirm that the car park can only be accessed via a barrier with an access code. The beer was good too!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Visiting for a family party at Sandown Racecourse, The Bear was an excellent location for us. Excellent welcome from the Manager. Spacious room (Andean Bear) - very clean and surprisingly quiet given the 'above the pub' and main road location. However, we didn't return to the hotel until after midnight when the final pub customers were leaving. Decor somewhat dated but the room was clean and comfortable with air conditioning ensuring a comfortable temperature for sleeping. Bathroom clean and functional with good shower. Breakfast excellent. All staff we saw were very friendly and efficient.

There is a limited choice of accommodation close (within walking distance) to the Racecourse and the Bear is probably the best available.

Room Tip: Room 7, Andean Bear, is spacious (can be set up as a twin) and although it faces the main road is su...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esher
Holiday Inn London-Kingston South
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Ditton Lodge Hotel
Ditton Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Long Ditton

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!