“A good place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 5 Esher B&B and Inns
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“A good place to stay”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Excellent large clean room which even though it was on the main road did not disturb the sleep of a couple of country bumpkins. Very friendly staff and an extremely good well cooked breakfast really made it a perfect place to stay whilst attending a local function.
Car park is a bit stange you have to register to get the number to open the barrier and there really is nowhere to park

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ticehurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2012

From the time of booking on the 'phone to our departure, the staff could not have done more for us - they were superb from organising a sandwich "breakfast" for one who had to leave very early, to fixing a taxi to get us from the station to the pub in time for supper. The room had excellent double glazing and there was very little traffic noise. Also, great bath towels.Yes the pub is noisy - but it is a PUB and, until throwing out time, they can be noisy - live with it, or use earplugs. Our room was very close to the traffic lights - no problem, draw the curtains. Breakfast was good and unhurried. Would we return? Yes, if we happen to be in or near Esher and needing somewhere to stay then certainly we would - five star it is not but friendly, helpful and comfortable it is. Oh yes, joy of joys - fresh milk in the fridge for the early morning tea. Nice touch.

Room Tip: we had room 6 - there are a few strange noises in the building but nothing to disturb the sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I normally stay at The Crown in Chertsey, but as usual it was full. So unfortunately I tried the sister hotel in Esher. Arrived about 10pm and couldn't get into the car park. Had to get the hotel staff to move their car from the customer car park to free up a space.The manager and main receptionsit were friendly but I was so disappointed when shown my room. Clean but small, Dark and right above the main bar; you could hear everything, everyone was saying.
Breakfast was menu only. I seldolm have a cooked breakfast but i thought I'd treat myself. There was no fruit juice or anything to which you could help yourself. I order brown toast and two poached eggs on toast. 20 mins later two hard poached eggs turned up on one tiny slice of toast, plus one slice of toast. So the marks are for good staff, clean room. Must try harder.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BOR15

Travellers are raving about these Esher hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Let's start on the positive side.
Really helpful and pleasant staff who couldn't have been more helpful. The young lady a breakfast did a great job (although it was very busy) and the breakfast was delivered hot and as ordered. Also very tasty eggs benedict. My room was of reasonable size and clean. Nice touch to have gratis bottled sparkling water supplied, chilled in the fridge. The Bear was also a reasonable price for the location.
Now for the negative.
My basic reason for staying in a hotel is to get some sleep. I was allocated the Polar Bear room. No way you could hibernate in here. Right over looking the traffic lights used as a christmas tree at the start of a drag race. The Bear was there before the traffic junction but I think the bed was too. Broken springs all over so I tried by doubling the quilt up and sleeping on top. No use. Added all the available towels and spare pillows to no avail. I the words of Eurovision nil point. Shame really......................

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid a room the the front and confirm the mattress has been changed.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We went to The Bear for Sunday lunch. There was one other table seated, yet we still had to wait a half hour for our food. My husband and I ordered the roast beef. The beef was dry and stringy, the roast potatoes were rock hard and shrivelled in the middle, the mashed potato was watery and tasteless, the veg, roast parsnips and boiled carrots were flavourless. The Yorkshire pudding was greasy and salty. My son had spicy squid which he couldn't chew and left it. Nothing tasted as it should. It was a huge disappointment, at a cost of £14.95 per roast lunch, which is very overpriced for a Sunday lunch in a pub. I had stomach ache all afternoon. We certainly will never go there again. The total bill was £52.00. Three meals, two soft drinks and 1 pint!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gerripl
Clacton-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We arrived at the hotel and on first impression it looked very nice, staff were friendly and check in was easy enough - the lady showed us up to our room (Brown grizzly bear) and it went down hill from there. Where do I start? The room was the size of a shoebox, the bed was broken, there was no ceiling light just small lamps beside the bed, the windows were practically falling apart, there were stains up the walls, there was a large damp/mould patch on the ceiling in the bathroom, the skirting boards were black and mouldy, there was damp in the cupboard, not what we expected from the very cleverly angled photos on their site. We then went down for something to eat, I had small fish and chips which when I say small I mean SMALL for nearly £7 I was shocked when it came out and my partner had the fajitas, what a disappointment they were overbearing taste of rosemary (who puts rosemary on fajitas?) we told the waitress and all we got was a 'we appreciate your feedback'. Breakfast was ok - but slow. When we checked out after a bad night sleep we begrudgingly handed over our money for our very over priced room and made the man aware of our complaints and he advised us 'I’ll pass your comments over to our manager and she will give you a courtesy call' - we stayed on Thursday 9th and I’m still waiting for our courtesy call!!! Luckily for The Bear they are in walking distance of Sandown Racecourse - so if you want somewhere within a 3 minute walk and aren't fussed about where you rest your head then stay here - otherwise spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Coventry
Reviewed 3 August 2012

On walking in to the pub entrance it looks a bit rough but don't let that fool you, Check in was very friendly and helpful and a rare thing these days I was shown to my room, I was allocated room 4The Black Bear which was at the back of the hotel and very quiet. Slept very well both nights I stayed there and found the bed very comfortable, nice selection of drinks provide in the room with fresh milk in the fridge, changed both days, also biscuits provided and fruit and water in the fridge all include in the price, breakfast both days was fine and all included, only slight negative was the sausage had chilly in it, I don't mind that but I could see some people having problems.
One star off as all though the room was clean and well presented some of the paint work cold do with a lick of paint

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esher
Holiday Inn London-Kingston South
#1 of 3 in Shepperton
Days Inn Cobham M25
Days Inn Cobham M25
#1 of 4 in Cobham

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!