“overpriced underwheming food”

The Albert Arms
Price range: US$7 - US$74
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Established in 1853, The Albert Arms is a warm and friendly free house, restaurant and boutique hotel deep in the heart of Esher, Surrey. A visit to The Albert Arms offers a classic yet contemporary experience in stylish and relaxed surroundings. Whether you are eating at our restaurant or private dining room, drinking at our bar, having breakfast in our roof garden, hosting a party or corporate event or sleeping in one of our relaxing hotel rooms - you will be well looked after. Our delightful restaurant is where we offer a stunning seasonal menu, rich in rare breed meats, fresh fish and seafood, classic desserts, artisan cheese and daily specials. The kitchen is open from 7.00Am Monday - Saturday (and from 8.00Am on Sundays) serving our incredible breakfasts. Takeaway breakfast, hot drinks and sandwiches are also available from this time. We are most proud of our Longhorn beef which comes from our own herd in Somerset who graze in the forest on wild herbs and flowers. Aged for at least 35 days and the taste is nothing you will have ever tried before. We also have our own drove of Gloucester Old Spot pigs who live in Somerset - the sausages from which are made using our own delicious recipe.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Went with other half. Had the steak and chips. Steak £19 and to be honest was not worth the price. Having eaten steak all over I would say this was not great for the price. £21 for bottle of very low end Pinot wine. . It is a nice place and good selection of food but very pricey for a restaurant in basically a pub. helpful young staff but not very knowledgeable. Would I go again? sadly not.

1  Thank dukenukem007

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Ate here with some colleagues whilst attending an exhibition. The food was very good but felt that any additional charge was added where possible. When one of us asked for a piece of bread to go with their mussels it came but we were told it was only available with olives and a vinegar/oil dip which we were charged for. There was also a service charge added automatically to the bill. The menu did say this would happen for groups over a certain size but there were only 3 of us. It really annoys me when restaurants do this, I usually leave more than the standard tip if the service has been good but I never add to it when it has been put on my bill.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Fantastic steak at great prices it's on a level with goodmans and hawksmore.

Good atmosphere and always busy.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We visited the Albert for Mother's Day, 4 out of the 5 diners were pretty happy with the food, the roasts were good and good sized portions. However everyone agreed the service was slow and poor.
My experience was awful as I don't eat meat and I am gluten free. I explained this to the waiter who said he would check everything. The starter came out and was fine. The main came out and had been served with chips rather than roast potatoes as I couldn't have the potatoes. The waiter said he had forgotten to ask me what I wanted instead.... He did happily go and get me a side of new potatoes instead of the chips. However I started to eat the vegetables and noticed there was bacon in my cabbage! I wasn't very happy as I had made them aware of all my dietary requirements. They then brought up a side of vegetables, with no meat.
Dessert was OK, although we did have to ask twice to get enough cutlery.
Overall, if you want a simple roast they seemed quite good but if you have any requirements I wouldn't trust them to get it right and the service was very slow and lacked general knowledge about the food they were serving and the ingredients.

1  Thank Laura E
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Booked a table for myself and my husband on a Saturday evening, we have eaten in there a few times before and food and service was very very good. However when we arrived the pub was very busy and very noisy they went to show us to our table which was at the front next to the busy bar. I then said I was not happy to sit there and had requested a table towards the back of restaurant as knew it could be quite noisy with the bar being so close, (in fact I had to shout this to be heard) the manager who sounded French was so rude, he said that's all he had to offer and had no tables for 2 in restaurant as they were fully booked. I said it would be pointless for us to stay as I would not be able to chat and even hear my husband speaking. he then after 10 mins of him being rude and arguing he then magic a table up for us at the back of restaurant. Then we were seating near to 20 rugby men who sang rugby songs all evening until after several songs they were finally asked to stop singing. the service was awful, we had to get the attention of the staff for drinks etc all evening,they never checked whether we were ok. The food was good that was the only good part about the evening and awful date night we had! Think the manager needs to go on some customer service training,and manage his restaurant better.

2  Thank rjcc007