“Honeymoon in Paradise”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
“Honeymoon in Paradise”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Viceory Anguilla after our wedding in San Juan for our honeymoon and we had an exceptional time. The hotel staff is so friendly and extremely welcoming; we couldn't have asked for more! The food, drink, and entire resort is outstandingly well prepared. We want to go back for an anniversary!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scheherazade N
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Congratulations and thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us! We're very happy that your stay was everything you hoped for (and more!) and look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
New York
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We just returned from a stay at the Viceroy last week. I read all the reviews before choosing this resort, so now I will add my own detailed review in the hope that it will help fellow travelers. First, I strongly disagree with a previous review that compares the Viceroy to an Aman resort. We have stayed at several Aman resorts all over the world and this place, beautiful as it is, does not even come close. Some top-line comments before I get specific: DO NOT use the concierge (more on that later), and be prepared for way-less-than-stellar air conditioning and hot water.

But let me start with the good stuff, because there is plenty of it. This place, the physical place, is truly spectacular. The hotel was thoughtfully designed and is beautifully situated on a stunning piece of real estate. The beach is one of the best I've ever been to, with that picture perfect caribbean water right outside your door. That water feels medicinal. The food was phenomenal. There were several people who went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, namely--Chesny, Kelvin, Santa, Tracy and Barbie. The pools were lovely and the beach service was good without being too intrusive. In general, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room (a one bedroom suite) was large and nicely done. The balcony was large and magnificent. A lovely place to sit and read and listen to the ocean. I enjoyed it immensely. In spite of several missteps, the sheer beauty of the place can't be taken away and there was a lot to like. Which is why it is such a shame that I feel I can only give this place three stars.

Now, the bad:

The Concierge: First, we booked transportation on a shared sea shuttle from the airport to the hotel. At the same time, we booked a table at Coba for our first night there, Nov. 21st. When the transport booking was sent to our travel agent, the concierge had booked it for December 21st. Right underneath that booking, on the same piece of paper, they had us booked correctly for dinner on November 21st. Seriously? Dinner in November, but arriving in December? If I hadn't caught this myself a few days before we left, we would have been stranded at the airport waiting on our sea shuttle to come a month later. Then, we asked the concierge to change an outside restaurant reservation (made through Amex) from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. They did tell us it might be difficult to do, so I told them to leave it at 7:00 if they couldn't change it. On the afternoon of, we got an e-mail from Amex confirming our 7:00 reservation and no phone call from the concierge. So, we assumed they were unable to change it. We arrived at the restaurant at 7:00 only to be told that the hotel had changed our reservation to 8:30 without even telling us! I would have declined 8:30 as being too late and left it at 7:00 (as I had told them to do) if they just had the sense to call and ask us. Luckily, the restaurant seated us anyway after a brief wait. I'm telling you, avoid these people at all costs and make your own arrangements. This kind of incompetence could easily ruin your whole trip.

Service: Excellent overall, with the exception of long waits for food. We adjusted for this by showing up and ordering at least 45 minutes before we actually wanted to eat. If they need to staff up anywhere, it is in the kitchen.

Spa: Nicely done and in a beautiful spot. Only complaint is that the robes are see through. Literally. I had to take another robe from an empty locker and put on two of them in order to feel comfortable going out of the locker room. Again, very odd for such a nice place.

Air conditioning: This was the deal breaker. When we arrived our room was quite hot (75 F) and when we turned the A/C down we could not feel any air blowing from the vents. So, we called to have someone take a look. Nearly an hour later, someone arrived and told us, sorry, the A/C temperature in the room will never go below 71F. And we found this to be true, no matter how low you actually set the temperature. I guess they have a "big brother" override that doesn't allow individual temperature control. Why they bothered to spend the money to have thermostats in the rooms at all is a mystery. We found this to be a common problem as another, more tech savvy guest even told us how to hack into our thermostat so we could set it lower. Really, should one have to "jailbreak" a thermostat at a five-star resort to be comfortable? They must save a boatload of money with this because it is the reason we probably won't be back. We were uncomfortable, particularly at night when we would have preferred the temperature at say, 68. It is really a shame and this, coupled with the not-so-hot-water (I had to turn it as far as it would go toward hot to enjoy a shower) is why I could only give this beautiful place three stars.

A few other odd things for a luxury resort: 1) There were no hooks in the bathroom. No place to hang your robe or towels. Particularly odd considering that they want you to re-use your towels. 2) There were two switches in the bedroom, one turned on the fan, and the other did...nothing. No light, no nothing. 3) The plunge "pool" is not really a pool. It is the size of a small hot tub only the water is cold. Figure that one out. Its purpose, other than advertising, is a mystery to me. 3) You have to pick up the phone and call housekeeping to get your sheets changed during your stay. Most resorts of this caliber just ask guests to place a card on the bed for a sheet change.

Some of these things are minor, some are not. But the little things in terms of service, comfort and attention to detail are what separate the outstanding resorts, such as the Amans of the world, from this one. Overall, we did adjust and we had a nice trip, but it was a mixed bag for a high price.

7 Thank q1380
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. We greatly appreciate your very thorough review. This certainly provides us with both the ability to commend the employees who went above and beyond and helps us to know where we may seek ways to improve our services and amenities. I apologize for the miscommunication and inconveniences you experienced. This is certainly not the norm.
We hope that you will visit with us again in the future so we may provide an exceptional stay for you at Viceroy Anguilla.
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Extremely well done and expansive property with gorgeous architecture and amazing beach/pool areas. The design is very sleek and modern throughout and the suites were among the nicest I've seen in the Caribbean. The hotel seems to have made significant strides in service--everyone is very friendly and the hotel is very well staffed. The service is not quite on part with a Ritz/Four Seasons (lots of people milling around greeting but some minor issues still exist like hot items left cold on the buffet at breakfast, items not replenished quickly etc). All in all, the property, rooms and beach are so nice that I would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We're happy that we've provided you with a fun new Caribbean destination and hope you'll be back soon!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Ever since Viceroy opened I have been dying to go there mainly for its design as it is my favorite designer Kelly Werstler's Caribbean creation. This place is not only jaw droppingly beautiful but so is its impeccable service, bar and attention to detail. The sunset bar with its wide swaths of stone backdrop makes a killer mojito and serves fresh sushi at the bar. The Aleta serves sumptuous breakfast. The whole property is a modern paradise with gorgeous landscaping, beautiful pools, and beautiful rooms. We were toying between renting the beach front villa or getting a penthouse for 2 couples and we are so glad we chose the penthouse. This 3500 sf space has a large living room and 3 large bedrooms with attached baths. The kitchen is a working kitchen with a laundry room. Of course all of this is covered in vein cut travertine and slabs of exotic stone. The balcony of the penthouse is a stunning view of the ocean and Meads bay which is not possible from the villa- which is equally beautiful but maybe remote. They do provide you with your own golf cart. The penthouse terrace has a large hotub/pool and outdoor showers. Our room was manta 4 R- highly recommend this room as it is the corner penthouse with unobstructed views.
There is a daily cleaning and housekeeping service. You can stock your kitchen with foods from the supermarket around the corner. We also used their concierge service to make restaurant reservations(see my individual restaurant reviews). The concierge and management were very helpful finding us the best experience. Thanks Nekira and Richard.
The pool area near the penthouses has food and beverage service ( bamboo bar) and is directly adjacent to the beach where they set up chairs. Even their sunscreen smells so good. You can also check out snorkeling equipment and boogie boards which is fun as the beach has good waves.
The beach at Meads bay is beautiful stunning perfection and even more because you can walk to restaurants along the beach-Firefly,Straw Hat, Jacala and Blanchards beach shack.
We also took a day trip to Sandy Island. This is also highly recommended-good snorkeling and bar with food. I also recommend renting a car as driving is easy even though on the left side of the street but you can explore other beautiful beaches such as Shoal bay-must and Rendezvous Bay-beautiful.
I feel so spoiled with the luxury and beauty of Viceroy and Anguilla I don't think I will find anything better in the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Penthouse Manta 4R- 4or5 bedroom beachfront villa if you have a large group or family Cabana#6 at...
4 Thank nolareview
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay in one of our Penthouses - they really spoil guests and provide stunning ocean. The Kelly Wearstler-design makes our accommodations, and resort, all the more special. Now you see why Anguilla is knows as a foodie paradise; restaurants and bars both on and off-property are truly exceptional. Nothing, however, is better than winding down at the Sunset Lounge while enjoying our famous mojitos and sushi! We hope to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This is the best place ever . everything was up to par. classy ,sexy, romantic lovely . The best place I have ever stayed at the best location. it was incredible will go back in an instant. it is worth the money to spoil your self in the spa ,bathe in the warm ocean ,or one of their may swimming pools. work out at the gym or get a great cup of coffee over looking the ocean . this is a must see destination. the food at coba was incredible love! love! love! I mean it for sure cannot stop raving about this place .

1 Thank Evieleese
The best place ever? We'll take it and are extremely happy that we were able to provide you with such a stellar experience. See you again soon!
Atlanta
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Viceroy Resort in Anguilla is incredible. It's the nicest resort I have ever stayed in (I think it rivals the Aman resorts) and is better than any Ritz or Four Seasons. The property is gorgeous and the pools are perfect. All 3 pools are so different so they have a pool for every liking. When we planned the trip we looked at staying at Cap Juluca and we went there while in Anguilla and I am so happy we chose Viceroy. The resort doesn't even compare. The ONLY thing better at Cap Juluca is the beaches. They definitely have the most calm water and prettiest sand out of all the resorts. The beach water at the Viceroy is on the Atlantic side of the island which can be a bit rough. For that reason we went to the Caribbean side each day to sit at the beach. My only compliant about the Viceroy is that it felt like you had to ask the staff the right questions to get help figuring out things on the island. For example we asked if we should rent a car and they didn't really have an opinion.It was only after we got a taxi that took us .2 miles for dinner and got charged $40 that we realized it is much better to rent a car than take taxi's. I wish the concierge had been more helpful. We had a couple of experiences like that with the staff. However, I did meet the new resort manager (who came from the Four Seasons) and think he is going to help them improve customer service. He was fantastic! Lastly, the fitness center and fitness classes are incredible. I loved Sammy the yoga teacher and Danny the spin instructor. In addition to being great fitness instructors they helped us plan itineraries each day we were there. They were much more helpful than the concierge with their suggestions for beaches, eating and things to do. Overall, fantastic resort and I will definitely be returning. Everyone was so friendly and strives to help each guest relax and have a great time in Anguilla! Oh and don't miss the sunset lounge. Fantastic food and breath taking sunset. The vibe is perfect.

Room Tip: All rooms have a pretty good view so you really don't have to worry about this.
2 Thank Melissa M
We're honored to learn that Viceroy Anguilla is the nicest resort to stay at. Anguilla's beautiful waters are the perfect backdrop for stellar vacations. We look forward to your return stay and will make sure that you have another great stay!
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This by far is one of the most beautiful resorts around. The modern design is captured at every turn of the resort. There is marble everywhere and every possible accent is there. The grounds are kept impeccable with every blade of grass in place. The room is amazing we had a one bedroom suite with a large deck and a plunge pool. Most hotel private pools are usually cold but this one is nice and warm, which was great for night time dips. The beach was also one of the nicest beaches around. The beach service is excellent and it is manicured throughout the day. Its not a private beach but you would not even notice unless you walked down the beach. There are pools all over the resort that are brilliantly designed to flow with the hotel.

Now for the the downfall....because this resort is so big there are a lot of people and hard for the staff to provide the high caliber Aman, Ritz or Four Seasons like feel or service. At those resorts you are fooled to believe that the staff was born into their roles and nothing is more important than your needs. However, they are VERY friendly here and willing to help. For the price, it can't be matched.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean facing and are top quality. Space is really the only factor in choosing a room...
3 Thank mblit
Anguilla's beaches have consistently been voted as some of the best in the world, and now you see why! Lazy days on the beach and nighttime dips in your own private plunge pool are the perfect vacation. We're very happy you enjoyed yourself and hope we can host you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!