“Wow. Totally blown away by the beauty of the Viceroy”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
nc
“Wow. Totally blown away by the beauty of the Viceroy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was my first trip to Anguilla. And in the last couple of years, i have been to St. Johns (Caneel Bay), Jamaica (Half Moon), and T&C (Regent Palms). While every island has its own unique atmosphere and vibe, Anguilla is very much as advertised -- a beautiful, laid back island with beautiful beaches, and minimal "commercialization". We found the locals to be very friendly and while we did not explore the island extensively, it seemed very safe and comfortable to do. While this island does not have the mountainous terrain found on many other islands, it does have rocky cliffs amongst the many gorgeous beaches surrounding the island. If you fly into St. Maarten, the trip over to Anguilla did require two trips through immigration -- in St Maarten and in Anguilla -- and does require some reshuffling from airport into taxi for 2 min ride to boat ferry, boat ride to Anguilla, then out of ferry, immigration in Anguilla, back into taxi and on to your resort. This is not a huge deal, but it does take some time and effort with your bags in and out of vehicles along the way. Just something you should know if this is important for you.

Now as far as the Viceroy resort goes. Let me get straight to the point. The Viceroy Anguilla might be the nicest place I have ever stayed. The grounds, buildings, rooms and outdoor spaces are spectacular and done in a very contemporary modern style that we really enjoyed. We went for a 50th birthday celebration at thanksgiving and rented two of the villas and a few rooms with our large group of 20. It was perfect. The villas are extraordinary. Rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are like having your own personal spa. Indoor showers, outdoor showers, large tubs, tons of natural light, your own infinity pool and jacuzzi, outdoor grill etc. Everything is done in a elegant contemporary style but still very practical. Very zen like. So as far as the physical accommodations go, unless you just don't like contemporary design, it is a 10. Some of our group stayed in Studio Rooms/Suites -- which were similarly done -- and some even have your own personal jacuzzi on the balcony. We were able to get a special package price for the Villas which was a great value --- not sure what the regular pricing is -- but our package was no doubt a great value.

To be honest, when looking at the Viceroy online, i was concerned about how i would like this contemporary style with lots of marble etc in an island setting --- but it was a huge hit with me and the whole group. It may not suit everyone's taste, but we thought it was magnificent and elegantly done.

The coba restaurant is also wonderful. We ate one night there and while we were at the resort, the breakfast was served each morning here (not sure this is always the case). With outdoor seating and panoramic ocean views from the top of this rocky peninsula that can't be beat. Of course, don't expect cheap prices, but that's just what you get at a place like this.

One of our favorite spots was the sunset bar and infinity pool. Very spacious and comfortable with views that are to die for. A perfect place for a sunset cocktail. We gathered there almost every afternoon/evening to enjoy a drink, the sunset and the views. The large infinity pool right off the bar (which is reserved for adults only -- there are two other pools on property) and with the same stunning views is also a nice place for a dip while soaking in the beauty.

Our villa was on Barnes Bay beach. This beach is nice, but not as large and spacious as Meads Bay on the other side of the resort. We did enjoy cocktails at the Half Shell on Barnes Bay beach, which was small and is located right on the beach. Meads Bay beach is where the main beach and water activities are. I am not sure about how the winds are year round, but my sense is that this side of the island generally has more wave action -- in which case they may limit some of the water activities available. But it is really gorgeous and you can easily walk down Mead Bay to other beach restaurants along the way. While the water was beautiful -- I did not find the snorkeling right off the beach to be anything extraordinary. Nice, but nothing like we experienced at Caneel Bay.

We found the service to be outstanding as well. Whatever you need, the staff was there with a friendly smile to help. The villas included personal lifestyle assistants to take care of your every need. Thank you Deniscio and Kerry for takng care of our every need. With a party of 20, this was key as otherwise it can be rather time consuming to plan and coordinate for the group each day.

Overall -- this is a beautiful resort. If you don't like modern, contemporary design and want more of a old school island feel, then this may not be for you. And the people were polite, friendly and provided wonderful service. In other places you occasionally get the sense the staff is on "island time" and not in a hurry to assist--- this is not the case from our experience at the Viceroy.

Room Tip: The villas are absolutely beautiful if you need 4/5 bedrooms!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank travel_wm
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
We're delighted you chose to stay with us on your first trip to Anguilla. We're also happy that you enjoyed our fantastic villas; they are truly amazing! In addition to Sunset Lounge, which is great for sushi, small bites and drinks, we're happy you enjoyed some of the other great restaurants on the island. See you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

After checking various hotels and resorts online, I happened to fall upon the lovely Viceroy Anguilla. I was stunned by the pictures and the amount of excellent reviews but being the skeptic I am, I wondered if it would live up to the hype.

Wow...Did it!!!! Driving through the entrance I was blown away by the modern elegance of the architecture and design. Upon check-in(a late one) I was greeted by a very welcoming front desk staff. They automatically made me feel at home and set the tone for our stay. My boyfriend and I were personally escorted to our room (an Ocean View Studio) and given a tour of our accommodations. A chocolate, welcoming treat and a bottle of champagne on ice was waiting! The room was immaculate, beautifully furnished (great job Kelly Wearstler!) and the plunge pool looked inviting. The night view of the ocean/pool was STELLAR, and I feel that our positioning (room 324) was one of the best vantage points in the hotel.

Housekeeping was consistent and friendly, but as others have stated, asking for extra towels is a must. However, the staff was very responsive with any requests for them. Whenever we returned from our excursions early in the day, the room was cleaned thoroughly and smelled amazing. Turn-down service was great, one staff member even brought me another "chocolate welcoming treat" after my boyfriend mentioned how much I enjoyed them. On Thanksgiving, more delicious treats were left during turn-down to commemorate the holiday.

The lovely beaches and pools all had staff that was courteous and prompt. They frequently kept me hydrated by offering and replenishing bottled water on ice. The refreshing (and free) treats that were given out at the Sunset Lounge pool were a nice touch that added to the already fabulous ambiance.

Overall, my week here was a DREAM. A special thanks to Richard Alexander (the manager) and his supporting staff (Al and the other front desk ladies) for making our week there spectacular! I will be back again!

2 Thank BellaOne1977
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
We love exceeding expectations and showing our guests that we're more than just a "pretty face". When great service, ambiance and unexpected treats come together, it makes for a truly memorable experience. We'll see you again soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Viceory Anguilla after our wedding in San Juan for our honeymoon and we had an exceptional time. The hotel staff is so friendly and extremely welcoming; we couldn't have asked for more! The food, drink, and entire resort is outstandingly well prepared. We want to go back for an anniversary!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scheherazade N
Congratulations and thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us! We're very happy that your stay was everything you hoped for (and more!) and look forward to your return.
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We just returned from a stay at the Viceroy last week. I read all the reviews before choosing this resort, so now I will add my own detailed review in the hope that it will help fellow travelers. First, I strongly disagree with a previous review that compares the Viceroy to an Aman resort. We have stayed at several Aman resorts all over the world and this place, beautiful as it is, does not even come close. Some top-line comments before I get specific: DO NOT use the concierge (more on that later), and be prepared for way-less-than-stellar air conditioning and hot water.

But let me start with the good stuff, because there is plenty of it. This place, the physical place, is truly spectacular. The hotel was thoughtfully designed and is beautifully situated on a stunning piece of real estate. The beach is one of the best I've ever been to, with that picture perfect caribbean water right outside your door. That water feels medicinal. The food was phenomenal. There were several people who went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, namely--Chesny, Kelvin, Santa, Tracy and Barbie. The pools were lovely and the beach service was good without being too intrusive. In general, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room (a one bedroom suite) was large and nicely done. The balcony was large and magnificent. A lovely place to sit and read and listen to the ocean. I enjoyed it immensely. In spite of several missteps, the sheer beauty of the place can't be taken away and there was a lot to like. Which is why it is such a shame that I feel I can only give this place three stars.

Now, the bad:

The Concierge: First, we booked transportation on a shared sea shuttle from the airport to the hotel. At the same time, we booked a table at Coba for our first night there, Nov. 21st. When the transport booking was sent to our travel agent, the concierge had booked it for December 21st. Right underneath that booking, on the same piece of paper, they had us booked correctly for dinner on November 21st. Seriously? Dinner in November, but arriving in December? If I hadn't caught this myself a few days before we left, we would have been stranded at the airport waiting on our sea shuttle to come a month later. Then, we asked the concierge to change an outside restaurant reservation (made through Amex) from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. They did tell us it might be difficult to do, so I told them to leave it at 7:00 if they couldn't change it. On the afternoon of, we got an e-mail from Amex confirming our 7:00 reservation and no phone call from the concierge. So, we assumed they were unable to change it. We arrived at the restaurant at 7:00 only to be told that the hotel had changed our reservation to 8:30 without even telling us! I would have declined 8:30 as being too late and left it at 7:00 (as I had told them to do) if they just had the sense to call and ask us. Luckily, the restaurant seated us anyway after a brief wait. I'm telling you, avoid these people at all costs and make your own arrangements. This kind of incompetence could easily ruin your whole trip.

Service: Excellent overall, with the exception of long waits for food. We adjusted for this by showing up and ordering at least 45 minutes before we actually wanted to eat. If they need to staff up anywhere, it is in the kitchen.

Spa: Nicely done and in a beautiful spot. Only complaint is that the robes are see through. Literally. I had to take another robe from an empty locker and put on two of them in order to feel comfortable going out of the locker room. Again, very odd for such a nice place.

Air conditioning: This was the deal breaker. When we arrived our room was quite hot (75 F) and when we turned the A/C down we could not feel any air blowing from the vents. So, we called to have someone take a look. Nearly an hour later, someone arrived and told us, sorry, the A/C temperature in the room will never go below 71F. And we found this to be true, no matter how low you actually set the temperature. I guess they have a "big brother" override that doesn't allow individual temperature control. Why they bothered to spend the money to have thermostats in the rooms at all is a mystery. We found this to be a common problem as another, more tech savvy guest even told us how to hack into our thermostat so we could set it lower. Really, should one have to "jailbreak" a thermostat at a five-star resort to be comfortable? They must save a boatload of money with this because it is the reason we probably won't be back. We were uncomfortable, particularly at night when we would have preferred the temperature at say, 68. It is really a shame and this, coupled with the not-so-hot-water (I had to turn it as far as it would go toward hot to enjoy a shower) is why I could only give this beautiful place three stars.

A few other odd things for a luxury resort: 1) There were no hooks in the bathroom. No place to hang your robe or towels. Particularly odd considering that they want you to re-use your towels. 2) There were two switches in the bedroom, one turned on the fan, and the other did...nothing. No light, no nothing. 3) The plunge "pool" is not really a pool. It is the size of a small hot tub only the water is cold. Figure that one out. Its purpose, other than advertising, is a mystery to me. 3) You have to pick up the phone and call housekeeping to get your sheets changed during your stay. Most resorts of this caliber just ask guests to place a card on the bed for a sheet change.

Some of these things are minor, some are not. But the little things in terms of service, comfort and attention to detail are what separate the outstanding resorts, such as the Amans of the world, from this one. Overall, we did adjust and we had a nice trip, but it was a mixed bag for a high price.

7 Thank q1380
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. We greatly appreciate your very thorough review. This certainly provides us with both the ability to commend the employees who went above and beyond and helps us to know where we may seek ways to improve our services and amenities. I apologize for the miscommunication and inconveniences you experienced. This is certainly not the norm.
We hope that you will visit with us again in the future so we may provide an exceptional stay for you at Viceroy Anguilla.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Extremely well done and expansive property with gorgeous architecture and amazing beach/pool areas. The design is very sleek and modern throughout and the suites were among the nicest I've seen in the Caribbean. The hotel seems to have made significant strides in service--everyone is very friendly and the hotel is very well staffed. The service is not quite on part with a Ritz/Four Seasons (lots of people milling around greeting but some minor issues still exist like hot items left cold on the buffet at breakfast, items not replenished quickly etc). All in all, the property, rooms and beach are so nice that I would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We're happy that we've provided you with a fun new Caribbean destination and hope you'll be back soon!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Ever since Viceroy opened I have been dying to go there mainly for its design as it is my favorite designer Kelly Werstler's Caribbean creation. This place is not only jaw droppingly beautiful but so is its impeccable service, bar and attention to detail. The sunset bar with its wide swaths of stone backdrop makes a killer mojito and serves fresh sushi at the bar. The Aleta serves sumptuous breakfast. The whole property is a modern paradise with gorgeous landscaping, beautiful pools, and beautiful rooms. We were toying between renting the beach front villa or getting a penthouse for 2 couples and we are so glad we chose the penthouse. This 3500 sf space has a large living room and 3 large bedrooms with attached baths. The kitchen is a working kitchen with a laundry room. Of course all of this is covered in vein cut travertine and slabs of exotic stone. The balcony of the penthouse is a stunning view of the ocean and Meads bay which is not possible from the villa- which is equally beautiful but maybe remote. They do provide you with your own golf cart. The penthouse terrace has a large hotub/pool and outdoor showers. Our room was manta 4 R- highly recommend this room as it is the corner penthouse with unobstructed views.
There is a daily cleaning and housekeeping service. You can stock your kitchen with foods from the supermarket around the corner. We also used their concierge service to make restaurant reservations(see my individual restaurant reviews). The concierge and management were very helpful finding us the best experience. Thanks Nekira and Richard.
The pool area near the penthouses has food and beverage service ( bamboo bar) and is directly adjacent to the beach where they set up chairs. Even their sunscreen smells so good. You can also check out snorkeling equipment and boogie boards which is fun as the beach has good waves.
The beach at Meads bay is beautiful stunning perfection and even more because you can walk to restaurants along the beach-Firefly,Straw Hat, Jacala and Blanchards beach shack.
We also took a day trip to Sandy Island. This is also highly recommended-good snorkeling and bar with food. I also recommend renting a car as driving is easy even though on the left side of the street but you can explore other beautiful beaches such as Shoal bay-must and Rendezvous Bay-beautiful.
I feel so spoiled with the luxury and beauty of Viceroy and Anguilla I don't think I will find anything better in the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Penthouse Manta 4R- 4or5 bedroom beachfront villa if you have a large group or family Cabana#6 at...
4 Thank nolareview
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay in one of our Penthouses - they really spoil guests and provide stunning ocean. The Kelly Wearstler-design makes our accommodations, and resort, all the more special. Now you see why Anguilla is knows as a foodie paradise; restaurants and bars both on and off-property are truly exceptional. Nothing, however, is better than winding down at the Sunset Lounge while enjoying our famous mojitos and sushi! We hope to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

This is the best place ever . everything was up to par. classy ,sexy, romantic lovely . The best place I have ever stayed at the best location. it was incredible will go back in an instant. it is worth the money to spoil your self in the spa ,bathe in the warm ocean ,or one of their may swimming pools. work out at the gym or get a great cup of coffee over looking the ocean . this is a must see destination. the food at coba was incredible love! love! love! I mean it for sure cannot stop raving about this place .

1 Thank Evieleese
The best place ever? We'll take it and are extremely happy that we were able to provide you with such a stellar experience. See you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#5 of 13 in West End Village
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!