“Be very careful you need to be very patient”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was in the same group as the two gentlemen below. The service was so poor that I went to review the prior tripadvisor reviews while there. It seems that they have been promising to upgrade service for a long time and have not done so. My experience began when I emailed the general manager before I arrived since the SPA would not get back to me via email. It took the GM three days to respond and when he did his response was..."Has your problem worked itself out."? Clearly the problem flows from the top. Literally, the service personnel made you feel guilty for asking them for stuff. One of our group joked about asking one of them whether they were on vacation, and could we do anything for you?

BTW, we had a group of over 100 people, so if we could not get attention I can't imagine being there without a group...

On my way off the island I met a couple who had a house on the island and they said they have been hearing about the poor service for some time. When I asked them whether this was a cultural thing with the workers they said no. The other hotels had great service.

On top of all this, immigration into Anguilla took a ridiculously long time - all to get onto a tiny little island.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank pubmitz
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, although of course I am so disappointed that after our initial, tardy on my behalf, email communication, your stay with your fellow MD Colleagues did not live up to your expectations.
It is enormously upsetting to hear that you were made to feel as if we were doing you a favor, rather than the absolute opposite, we benefited hugely from having your group with us.
I am really very sorry for our shortfalls; you can be sure we will address these areas with vigor and improve.
Should you ever wish to re-visit us please do contact me in advance so I can ensure you receive extra special recognition and have a wonderful experience as your deserve.
Once again my deepest apologies,
Richard

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Had a very similar experience to joeyd1980 (review below mine), which makes sense, since we were both there with the same group... what's up Joe!
What you get here is an AMAZING property, literally one of the more beautiful properties I've been on in all the years I've travelled, gorgeous rooms, beach, meeting rooms, bars - everything is movie quality gorgeous. However, it's terribly expensive: this place rack rates around $1000/night, as they assess a 20% fee atop your normal room rate. And that doesn't cover highly overpriced food (a very light sushi meal for 2 and drinks came to almost $200; a moderate breakfast buffet for $30, drinks on average $16-$18), which might all be worth it, somehow, if it was delivered with highly attentive service, as opposed to possibly the slowest bar/food/anything service I've experienced with ANY property, let alone a place charging 1k per night. It unfortunately cast a long shadow the entire week there, and left people angry and disappointed. If this place could get its act together, would be world class. As it stands, it's beautiful on the outside, and disappointing once you get past the surface.

Room Tip: The rooms were highly varied. My understanding was any of the rooms 130-140-150 area were especiall...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank KevinSdammit
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience. We do have a really beautiful property that accentuates Anguilla's astounding beauty. As we mentioned in the review you reference, we are very concerned about the service issues you experienced and are addressing them directly. We can assure you that there will be no reason to be conflicted, future stays will be exceed the high service standards we set so that your stay will be flawless.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was very excited to come to the Viceroy this year. We were in a large group on a mix of business and pleasure. When we arrived, the place was gorgeous, the staff was friendly, and our room was ready.

So the good stuff -- The food is amazing here. The Sushi at the Sunset Bar is so good. Get the Hot and Naked Tuna with a Pain-Killer drink. The Beaches are clean and soft with some great views. The waves are active and soothing.

Now the bad. The Service is horrible. I was appalled to see such a high class resort at this price point tolerate such a lack of service guests have come to expect from such a place. The problems were in the restaurants and at the pool. First - Breakfast is a waste. The staff is out to lunch, and they don't even smile! Breakfast was never busy as it was mostly a buffet. We had to wait at least 8-10 mins just to get noticed to be seated. Another 10 mins to get a coffee cup or silverware, and don't even bother ordering from the menu. We ordered an Egg White Frittata 2 days in a row and both times, it took 1 hour. Yes - 1 hour,......and they got the order wrong. By the time we got the order, we were already out the door. It is pathetic how slow breakfast service is at the Aleta Lounge. I don't know if it was an off day or a normal occurrence, but for our entire stay (April 2-6) this problem persisted.

The next huge problem with the service at the Viceroy is getting a drink or a towel. For the first 3 days i was there, I could not believe how long it took to get any kind of drink here. I could not get anyone's attention - no one was checking up and it was just downright frustrating. For towels by the Sunset Pool, I asked for 2 setups - and the lady said, "we're out of towels." Ok, so what's the plan then.....? There was no plan. I went to the beach. Ridiculous. I decided to goto the bar myself to get my own drinks and the bartenders could not understand, nor would they even acknowledge my order because I had a chair at the pool. I told them - please i'll order the drinks here and walk them back myself - it will be faster. They didn't seem to like this.

So in closing - I would be furious if I went here on a personal vacation where I had to foot the entire bill. For such a high rate per night, one would expect a much higher level of service. My final point is this. When Tourism is your #1 industry - this should not be allowed to happen. Island time is the most frustrating time when trying to get food or a drink, but it's great when you have food or a drink and can finally kick back and relax.

Room Tip: You want to try and get a room overlooking the ocean if possible, but The viceroy studio with the pl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank joeyd1980
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

We're very happy that you enjoyed the sushi at Sunset Lounge - our culinary team creates delicious menus! We are, however, very concerned about your experiences with poor service. With such a gorgeous property in such a beautiful setting, anything that diminishes the overall experience is troubling. This is something that we are immediately addressing. We thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We just returned from our second visit to the Viceroy for our family spring break. We travel with another family and in total there are 9 of us-4 adults and 5 kids (7,9,9,11,11). The Villas at the Viceroy are second to none. We have stayed in other on property villas, including the Nevis Four Seasons-and nothing compares to the Viceroys set-up. The Villas have two master suites up stairs and then two bedrooms on the first floor perfect for the kids-all with ensuite baths. The villas are appointed perfectly and upscale, yet beachy. All within the resort, not a golf cart away like some resorts...Best night sleep ever in the most comfortable beds with the waves crashing, I am still dreaming about it!!
We requested to have Jamel be our butler/personal assistant again…he is amazing and once again ensured our trip was seamless. He booked our dinner and golf reservations before we arrived and had our transportation and babysitting needs taken care of. He is outstanding with our kids and even taught the boys a thing or two on the basketball court! Really miss him and his dimples already!!
We had met Richard last year and he also was great about checking in on us and making sure everything was perfect.
The sports area is amazing for kids. Our boys spent every morning there while the adults worked out. They loved the basketball and the rock climbing wall. The tennis courts are also beautiful. If you have active kids, this complex really sets the Viceroy apart from any other resort we have been to.
Our girls loved Generation V-lots to do, crafts and hair braiding, was a great break from the sun in the afternoon.
We are all very fit and worked out every day including 3 days of bootcamp, which was great. We also used the gym on the other days and it was well appointed. The yoga on the beach looked great, but we are not yoga people.
The sunset lounge is amazing-great cocktails, amazing sushi and views that are unmatched.
The adult pool is right off the sunset lounge and has a great vibe with views that are breath-taking
The cabanas are fantastic-again, views, views, views….
One of the things we love about the resort is that it sits on Meads Bay so you can walk to many terrific restaurants, including Straw Hat and Blanchards Beach Shack-both outstanding.
We did go off campus a few times. Once to Shoal Bay, which is definitely worth the 20 min drive. The most beautiful beach with great restaurants and bars-great fun/great people.
We also golfed at the Cuisenart-Ron Johnson was great to chat with-he is in charge of the golf there. That is a quick 5 min drive and beautiful course.
Veya is a “DO NOT MISS” dining experience-did that on adult night and also loved Dolce Vita.
I could go on and on-but the thing we like the best about the Viceroy are the people. Not only do we love Jamel and think Richard is great-but others we have come to adore: Tamara and Marlene at the Bamboo pool, Jemaurah and Joanne at the sunset Lounge, Ladicia and Glenisha at the kids club, Dominque and Vernon in the gym (bootcamp) Tristan at the Rock Climbing, Kiran at the Cabanas and Harry and Glen the taxi drivers.
Last year Richard told us that if you are kind to the people on the island, they will treat you like a king/queen…I highly recommend that approach. The people are born and raised on the island and all have huge hearts…just don’t approach them with a city,” gotta have it now or I am going to start yelling” approach.
It is an amazing island with amazing people. I can’t recommend it enough. We have stayed at many 5 star+ resorts and rarely duplicate a trip-we are already booked for our third year in a row... I was sad as we were leaving and someone said to me-“hey, if you don’t leave, you can’t come back…!” That put a smile on my face knowing we will be back next year-already booked!

Room Tip: The villas are amazing-can't recommend more!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ChicagoLambeau

We are absolutely delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with your friends and family. There's no better compliment than a return visit - and three is wonderful! Jamel's outstanding service and care is one reasons that our villas experiences are so special for our guests. We have informed him of your kind words and very much look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Absolutely beautiful, top notch property. Food was very good, and rooms were comfortable and well appointed. Problem is the service. Training is needed particularly food and beverage service. Service rated from excellent to non existent with the average being just average. Would love to return but not sure at those prices with average service. I am still going to rate it very good just because of the sheer beauty of the property and the fact that some of the service was great (housekeeping, spa, and front desk). Please more training for food and beverage service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JS60
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel was GORGEOUS, even better than the pictures. One of the most amazing hotels we've ever stayed. The decor throughout the grounds was amazing - wonderful pieces of wood art, live orchids, etc. The views from the property were amazing - great sunsets. The rooms were elegantly decorated, spacious, and impecible. Huge patios. Truly, an amazing hotel and room...although you do pay a lot for such luxury - but for us, totally worth it.

The surprise came with the bill....not only was there the 10% service charge "tax" for each night, but there was also a 10% goverment accommodation tax - so taxes of 20% per night. When the room is so pricey, 20% aren't negligible "taxes". In addition, there is a daily $25 Environmental Fee and a $2 Government Tourism Levy. In total, about 23% added to our daily bill - definitely not what we expected when booking and something I think people shoudl definitely be aware of as they're booking.

Another downside was the number of children. For many, this is not a negative - but for us, traveling as a couple to a small island in the Caribbean, we were going for more the romantic vibe, not the Disney World vibe. There were screaming children everywhere (and very few parents attempting to lessen the screaming). They do have a beautiful adult-only infinity pool - but it's a relatively small area and far from the beach. We were surprised by how many children/families were at this resort, as it seemed it would have been better suited for the adult crowd. It would have been great if there was an area of the beach that was also adults only to allow those wanted to relax in peace to actually do so.

Other good things about the resort:
- The spa was beautiful and we had amazing massages during our stay. Also pricey, but great.
- The Coba restaurant was AMAZING, probably our second favorite on Anguilla (I'll review separately). Again, pricey, but delicious food and great ambience.
- Service was great, very attentive.
- They arranged for our rental car to be delivered to the hotel and we were able to drop it off at the ferry.

Other not so-good things:
- Avoid the breakfast buffet...it was ok, but NOT worth the cost.
- Pricey, pricey drinks

All and all, a fantastic property and beautiful location. I would definitely recommend, but be prepared for those extra fees and kiddos.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank L M

We're happy you were blown away by the scenery and hotel! We are happy that you enjoy your days of fun in the sun, and spa treatments. Anguilla is truly an island paradise, as part of it, we enjoy welcoming couples and families. We accommodate all our guests to maximize their experience, from providing the children with Generation V kids club and teen program to the adults only Sunset Lounge pool. We hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

You can't ask for more from a Caribbean hide-away in the middle of the action than the 4 bedroom villas that the Viceroy Anguilla offers. Luxury mini-mansions that offer the best of Anguilla; powdery beaches, high-style luxury accommodations, and privacy are hidden but can be found on the east end of the property, adjacent to Meade's Bay. Walk the beach to the finest Anguilla restaurants, bring in a chef, or prepare your own!

We stayed in Seacliff unit 138, the premier corner property at the Viceroy. It features a huge wrap-around private deck with its own infinity plunge pool and hot tub. Steps lead down the cliff to the sea below. The deck wraps around a floor-to-ceiling glass great room and gourmet kitchen to take full advantage of the stunningly blue bay views. The two first floor bedrooms each feature huge bathrooms with an outdoor shower. The second floor has a large glass enclosed sound-proof office space and two Master suites. A giant balcony wraps around the entire second floor if the view from the first floor deck isn't stunning enough.

The staff was great. It looks to me like issues related to service mentioned by previous guests have been addressed, because we found the staff, from the front desk to the beach, to be courteous and helpful. Whether we were sailing on the Hobe, tubing behind the Whaler, or snorkeling on the reefs in front of the property, the staff's help was top-notch. To finish off each day I was torn between watching the sunset from the Sunset Lounge or from our own private pool. Life is definitely a beach when those are your choices!

Room Tip: Get a group and stay in the 4 bedroom villas! 138 is the best for privacy coupled with 270 degree vi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barry R

Thank you for your review. Staying at one of our villas is definitely an out-of-this-world experience! We're happy that you and your friends enjoyed your stay. It certainly sounds like you took full advantage of everything we had to offer - bars and restaurants, water sports and relaxation - not to mention all the wonderful amenities of your villa!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 13 in West End Village
Frangipani Beach Resort
Frangipani Beach Resort
#4 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!