“Four Star charging Five Star Prices”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
New York City, New York
“Four Star charging Five Star Prices”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I wanted to ensure I was refunded all my cash prior to writing the review (they over charged me a night). The reviews on service being spotty is that...spotty. Maybe it's b/c of the offseason or the slow weeks between busy weeks or something else, I'm not sure but couldn't put my finger on it. Some staff were great while others seemed bothered when we asked for help or chatted on phones not paying attention. The resort is beautiful but there are signs of wear and tear that can be easily fixed with paint or just a cleaning but some may require more maintenance, like cracks and elevators being out.

The grounds/views are very nice and we enjoyed our time not letting the service bug us all that much but what makes a hotel move from a 4 star to 5 star at 1k a night is service. It's just not there. If you have been to Aman's, Jeremiah, Oberi, Bulgari, Auberge and even four seasons or St. Regis in Asia, the service is much better and on point 24/7 so taper expectations accordingly.

Just a tip on the room: if you take the rooftop studio part of your view will be of the roofs of the shop and sunset lounge. I didn't mind but in the pictures online is tough to tell.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nywestboy
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I'm sorry to hear that the service you experienced was spotty. That's certainly not our standard or our goal. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and for letting other guests know about the Rooftop accommodations. It is difficult to show every view from the rooms and your comments are helpful.
Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope you will return again so we can show you the service you expect from a luxury resort such as Viceroy Anguilla.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is the best hotel I'm Anguilla!! People come from other hotels just to see this one. The pictures do the hotel absolutely no justice. The place looks even better in person. The manager Remy made us feel right at home and even showed us around the town and took us to some of the hot spots. There weren't many but his hospitality couldn't be bought or taught. He was so genuine and amazing. This is a luxury hotel that everyone should stay in at least once!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review and for mentioning Remy. I'll be sure to share this!
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Viceroy Anguilla is hands down the best vacation I have ever been on. My wife and I went for 5 nights for our honeymoon and literally I can not wait to go back to this resort. The hotel is great, food, service, everything was first class. My wife actually left her phone in St. Marteen and the hotel arranged to find it and have it delivered to our room. Literally they retrieved it within a couple of days... don't ask me how. The staff is really there to help you, and they actually put a towell down and set you up on your umbrella on the beach. Complementary fiji waters = 1st class resort.

My advice- When you book your room, I would strongly suggest getting one with a plunge pool. It is heated and you will enjoy having it. Ask the concierge what you should do and they will hook you up. We did almost no research for this trip and when we got there we had the concierge help us put a plan together of all the things we should do and it made the trip really care free but we still got to do all the things we wanted to do.

I am really picky about food cause my entire family is in the restaurant business. The hotel has really great food, but there are some really great places to eat outside of the resort as well. You can't go wrong either way. We pretty much ate at the resort for about half of our meals, and we ventured out on food adventures for the rest of them. Mango's is a killer upscale place were you can order lionfish.. if you dare... Smokey's is excellent as well- try the sticky ribs, and by all means, go to Sandy Island for a day and eat the crayfish and ribs. If it is the only thing you do outside of the resort, go to Sandy Island for a day, and the earlier the better. We arrived on the island with the staff, and had it almost entirely to ourselves for an entire day. Really unique experience. You don't even need to bring sunscreen with you to the Viceroy cause they provide complimentary sunscreen at all the pools and on the beaches.

Watch out for movie stars, we saw several but managed to keep it together for the most part.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RWJ64
We truly appreciate your review and your endorsement for other guests to "book it"! Thank you.
I'm delighted to hear about your positive experience and especially enjoyed knowing that your wife's phone was found a delivered from St. Marteen.
Thank you for sharing your experience here. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
New York
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were very much looking forward to our stay at the Viceroy only to be disappointed. While the resort is beautiful, modern and well situated on the island with great views and beaches- the service leaves much to be desired. I had read a lot of the reviews about other people's bad experience with the service but hoped we would have better luck. We didn't. It's not that the service is across the board terrible ...it's just extremely spotty. Some of the staff really goes out of their way to help the guests while others seem annoyed to even be there. We had a hard time finding any staff at the pool to get towels or order good from and when we did we waited a minimum of an hour for anything to show up. We left our room one day at 9 and came back at 4 and housekeeping had not been by. At a luxury hotel this should not happen. Most unfortunate was an incident that happened one night when we left the hotel for dinner at a nearby restaurant. The hotel told us it was safe to walk to this restaurant which is about 100 yards away from the hotel's front gate. They advised us to have the restaurant call the hotel when we were leaving so that a golf cart would be waiting at the gate to take us back into the property. While walking back from dinner we were approached on the dark road by a man who threatened us looking for money. We were able to get passed him and back to the front gate. When we got there, expecting the golf cart to be waiting, it was nowhere. We started up the long dark path into the property because we were concerned about the man on road. When we were about halfway to the security checkpoint the cart finally came by. When we got back to the front desk we reported the other incident so that they could patrol the street and safeguard the other guests that would be walking back. Twenty minutes after we got to our room a security guard came by to " take our statement" a and said he would look into it and call the local police- something that should have happened immediately. We were very disappointed with the fact the cart was so late picking us up and the lack of urgency the staff showed regarding the situation and safety of their guests. All in all we felt the hotel was very impersonal and lacked the level of hospitality we have experienced at other hotels of this caliber. We would not return to the Viceroy

• Stayed May 2014
11 Thank bmerls
It was a pleasure meeting you during your stay and I want to stress again that we certainly apologize for what you experienced. This is not the normal occurrence and we take great strides to ensure the safety and security of our guests. I’m sorry that this was a detriment to your vacation experience. We hope you will reconsider and will visit us again in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We spent three nights at the Viceroy last December to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary and it was an excellent choice. Unfortunately many Caribbean resorts have been around for a long time, and even if well maintained, they can look dated. Not the Viceroy! Top marks for the architects and the designers for the property and the furnishings. It doesn't hurt that the resort is on one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, with a long, long stretch of golden sand and lovely, warm, shallow water. Our room, the common areas, the restaurants and the open air bar all have exotic, elegant décor.
There was a mix up with the reservation for our anniversary dinner, but I have to give credit to the resort, they have recovered admirably, and turned what would have been a major disappointment into a special and memorable experience. Well done.
If you are into yoga, sign up for the wonderful yoga class by the pool, in sight of the ocean.
One word of caution, Anguilla is home to many mosquitoes, so do pack some insect repellant.
In summary, the Viceroy is a beautiful resort on a beautiful island.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LBR85
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
It's a pleasure to read your review. We love being called "beautifully modern" and do appreciate your kind words.
Thank you also for sharing your anniversary with us. We know you have other options and are delighted that you chose to spend this special occasion with us. Congratulations! We hope to welcome you back for many more celebratory events.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Getting there: We came from Charlotte, NC so it was a direct, easy flight and we actually didn't arrange for The Viceroy to pick us up from the airport bc it was expensive but when we got there and told the guy who was representing The Viceroy that we were going there but didn't have a reservation for transportation, he was able to get us on the van and their private charter over and it was cheaper than pre-paying so that was awesome.

Time of year and accommodations: We went to Anguilla in November and wow- what a perfect time to go, the weather was amazing! We went the week before Thanksgiving for our honeymoon and the first 5 days it felt like we had the place to ourselves but our last weekend was when families started arriving for Thanksgiving break and that made the resort feel a little too crowded with kids for our taste. It only rained two days out of our 7 night stay but it was kind of nice to have a relaxing day and watch the storms from our private balcony. We got a one bedroom ocean view suite with plunge pool and I highly recommend the suites, the rooms were perfection and huge for just the two of us, we weren't sure if we would use the plunge pool but we literally did get in it every night as they were heated and it was so relaxing.

Food: One of our favorite things about Anguilla was the food! EVERY restaurant off the resort was amazing, we did not have a bad mean when we ate off the resort and we did almost every night. I highly recommend taking a walk down the beach to Blanchards Beach Shack for lunch. We loved the mexican restaurant, Picante, that we walked to at night (random I know but so good- we went twice). We went to Veya which had a really cool atmosphere and felt like you were eating in a tree house. We went to Blanchard's nice restaurant one night and it was good as well. We decided to try Coba at the Viceroy one night and something was off that night, the service was bad and my steak was undercooked and then when I sent it back it was WAY overcooked- couldn't eat it. We let management know about our bad experience as it was very expensive and the next night they gave us a free meal in a private table by the water. This more than made up for our first bad meal and the second time around everything was delicious and top notch service.

Beach: The one disappointment for me. For the size of the resort, the beach are was small. The waves were so rough, I really didn't get in the water but then we biked to Cap Jaluca's beach and it was crystal clear water, no waves, perfectly calm and serene. I was thinking we made a mistake not staying there but then we got Cap Jaluca to show us a room and WOW they are very outdated and didn't feel clean (and are more expensive). So we were relieved we were at The Viceroy then. Every day we went to a different beach, which was really fun. This is just personal preference and what you are looking for so most people would probably be fine with it.

Activities: HIghly recommend renting a car to explore the island. Our favorite beach was Rendezvous Bay. We took bikes around but one day, I was chased down by a local dog and my chain broke and the resort had to come pick us up as we were headed to Shoal Bay West, the lady who picked us up decided to take us to Shoal Bay West so we could watch the sunset and have a drink and then offered to pick us up an hour later- awesome service! When I asked her if the local dogs often chased people on bikes- she did say it was an issue and they have been trying to talk to the people on the island about it and very few people have actually gotten bitten..."few" is too many for me so we didn't bike around the island the rest of the trip. We also took a ferry over to St. Marteen for a day which was fun to walk around and see the island.

Spa: We had massages and the spa is amazing, it has incredible views, everything is top notch, it has it's own infinite pool, we chose to have massages out in the cabanas where you could hear the waves crashing, what a relaxing peaceful experience. Couldn't ask for anything better!

Room Tip: Room with a plunge pool!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy H
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for spending your honeymoon at Viceroy Anguilla. We greatly appreciate your very thorough review and for sharing your experiences.
You're absolutely right about the variety of exceptional dining choices on the island as well as an abundance of nice beaches. Anguilla has something for everyone!
We hope to welcome you back for many anniversary celebrations!
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had the opportunity to visit this property in April 2014 with a friend and colleague. WOW! As soon as we pulled up, we were greeted by two well-dressed gentlemen who opened our doors and then we were escorted into the open-air lobby. Incredible décor and space! Who wouldn't want to stay here?!

We were each given a local refreshment made with fruit and water and cool towels to wipe our hands and faces if we wanted a little cool down.

The rooms are spread enough to not feel like a typical hotel, but close enough for a short walk to the 5 restaurants on property. Most of the rooms I saw had very large outside areas, some with hot tubs. After viewing the rooms in each category, we then had lunch down by the beach. I wanted something local that I couldn't get at home and I wasn't disappointed!

A beautiful property, awesome views and service and outstanding food and drink!

Room Tip: You need to work your air carefully as you will need to take the water taxi over to Anguilla from St...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elaine C
We're delighted you experienced a "little bit of heaven" during your visit! The resort's design does lend itself to an incredible open-air feeling throughout and I'll be sure to let our culinary team know that you appreciated the local cuisine on the menus.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to welcome you back one day soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!