“Beautiful property, good service, a few concerns” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Windermere, Florida
“Beautiful property, good service, a few concerns”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just returned from a family trip with my in-laws. We had reserved a three-bedroom unit online through Priceline and when we arrived we had been upgraded to one of the three-bedroom penthouses. We were amazed by the beachfront location of the property, the design of the resort, and the onsite amenities. The service was occasionally a bit slow, but we remarked that it helped us remember that we were on vacation and should be operating at a more relaxed pace than we would at home. At one point, one of the beachside servers comped a meal (unasked) for my wife and I due to the response time, which we found to be a great gesture.

Just a few feedback points that keep this from being a perfect vacation:
- We appreciated having the full-size toiletry items (shampoo, hand soap, etc) but since these were not ours to keep without a charge to our room folio, it feels to me like these are little more than glorified dispensers for bulk liquids - in essence, only a step above having a shampoo dispenser attached to the shower wall as you would see in a motel.
- A few maintenance issues with our room were visible to me, keeping this from being a five-star luxury experience. There were broken tiles on the step into the outdoor heated plunge pool, which could be lifted to expose the heating elements. I would hope that the components underneath would not be susceptible to water exposure. Also, the wall-mounted television in the main living area was significantly un-level, which I found to be distracting from the clean and modern design of the room.
- As an earlier reviewer noted, not all of the restaurants on the property were open throughout our off-season stay. I understand the business need to do so, but when the employee at the front desk at check-in tells me that they are running a full house, I wouldn't expect the resort's amenities to be running at a reduced capacity. Also, I believe that a couple of wedding parties may have impacted the availability of these venues. Luckily, there are tons of other great dining options nearby - either within walking distance or a short cab ride away.
- While not directly connected with the resort, we had arranged through the Viceroy for private boat transportation from the airport in St. Maarten. The process for checking in for the boat transfer on the way home made us uncomfortable, since the porter took our bags out of sight for approximately 20 minutes while we completed the customs paperwork and waited for our boat to arrive. (Visible signage states that the porters are not employees of the terminal, which makes it a bit more uncomfortable as well.) My sister-in-law believes that several jewelry items were taken from her bag during this time, but unfortunately we have no way of proving when this took place. I guess I'd just recommend placing a lock on your bags and/or keeping valuable items on your person.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jeff318
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for vacationing with us!
I'm delighted that you found the resort beautiful and enjoyed the slow pace of a vacation.
I do appreciate the issues you mentioned as we do take these into consideration and follow up on any items we can remedy immediately.
I'm sure other travelers will appreciate your review and we hope that you and your family will be back to vacation with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've been coming to Anguilla for about 7 years (once or twice a year), doing business with the financial services community here. This is my first stay at the Viceroy. I've also stayed at Cuisinart and have rented several villas, which is a big part of the island's ambience.

While expensive, the Viceroy is a wonderful hotel. The rooms are first class and spacious and unlike what is often found in the islands, the features work. There is lots of staff that keep the property -- which is sprawling -- spotless. And the Viceroy's associates are very well trained, almost at the level of the Ritz. Best of all for business people, the hotel has flawless high speed internet service EVERYWHERE. I can't tell you how many trips I've taken -- from Tahiti to Maui and Kauai -- where the internet service was intermittent, and the cell service was worse, making for an aggravating part of the vacation. The Cuisinart is no comparison.

Well done Starwood!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HoustonTexasLawyer
As a frequent visitor to Anguilla, you certainly have experienced many accommodations and other resorts. Thank you for your valuable review and for finding the rooms first class and spacious and our sprawling ground spotless. We do understand how important it is for many of our guests to "stay connected" while on vacation and we are glad you experienced flawless internet service.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
Red River, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We just ended our honeymoon at the Viceroy in June 2014. We were very impressed with beautiful grounds on the resort. The beaches the resort sits on are gorgeous. It was off season so not every restaurant was open. We would have enjoyed a warning about this prior to our arrival. We found the food to be good but not a five star experience. I also have to mention that we got the rooftop studio and we looked at poop on top of the roof for the entire week. Our pool was never maintained so by the end of our stay we couldn't even sit in it because the water was so low. The staff that really made our stay enjoyable were Richard, who delivered champagne to our room, John, who was over the top friendly and accommodating,and Caroma at the bar. The other staff members were friendly but not overly welcoming. You can tell that they do not love their job. Having stayed all over the world we really had hoped this resort would be on the top of our list and it won't be. The amount it cost to stay at the resort we should have had zero complaints and we have plenty. I would suggest to the hotel staff that they communicate better to the guests and they communicate with one another better. We asked the front desk about tennis times one day and they didn't even know what time tennis opened or closed. If you are a picky person and want your vacation to be perfect I would not pick this resort. We let the little things go and ended up having a wonderful time with each other using the pools and activities on the beach. Another suggestion to the hotel is to put some information about the hotel and the island in the rooms.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Alexandra J
First of all, thank you for sharing your honeymoon with us. We know you had many choices and we appreciate that you selected our resort for this special occasion.
I'm delighted you enjoyed the pools and the beaches. I hope you created special memories and that Anguilla will always be a special place for your future vacations.

Thank you also for mentioning Richard, John and Caroma. I will be sure to let them know you appreciated their service. I do apologize for any issues that did not meet your expectations. We certainly strive for five star service in all areas.

Again, thank you for your comments and for staying at Viceroy Anguilla. We hope to welcome you back for future celebrations.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

If you want to stay at one of the most luxurious hotels in the Caribbean then this should be at the top of your list. Rooms and landscaping are immaculate but most of all the service you receive is top notch. The staff are friendly and engaging and willing to go the extra mile for you. Having spoken to the Coba restaurant manager, Leon, about a shared interest in Cricket my wife and I were invited to a local Sunday game. What an experience to mix with the locals and enjoy the sport. The beaches of course are superb and for the most part pretty deserted so you have plenty of space to relax. Definitely a place we will go back to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Our sincere appreciation for your exceptional review and naming us one of the most luxurious resorts in the Caribbean.
I'm delighted to read that Leon invited you to a local cricket game and you were able to enjoy a mix of the local activities.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This place is amazing. Gorgeous hotel, amazing service, pools great. Adult pools for private time and one for kids too. Food all over the place. Easy to get to. Just can't say enough about this place. Spa nice too! We had a couples massage which was fantastic! Great romantic spot!

Room Tip: High floors have a great view!
2 Thank saintsfootball9
We love a review that begins with "wow"! Thank you for your favorable review of the resort and amenities. We certainly appreciate your stay with us and for this lovely review.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon four years ago and we loved it so much we came back for our anniversary. It may actually be the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in and we travel A LOT:) If you are deciding between this place and cap Jaluca, viceroy is WAY better, hands down. It's nicer all around.
My only advice would be to check your bill closely. We set up a special dinner outside with the restaurant "Coba" which was supposed to have a set fee for the set-up. When we received our bill the server had added three $125.00 charges that didn't exist. They removed the charges but I didn't like that something like this could happen. Overall an enjoyable experience. We will definetly be back.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank andreask1984
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
First of all, thank you for sharing your honeymoon with us four years ago and for returning again for this special occasion! Thank you also for the lovely comment about our resort being the most beautiful hotel you've ever stayed in! We truly appreciate the praise and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I wanted to ensure I was refunded all my cash prior to writing the review (they over charged me a night). The reviews on service being spotty is that...spotty. Maybe it's b/c of the offseason or the slow weeks between busy weeks or something else, I'm not sure but couldn't put my finger on it. Some staff were great while others seemed bothered when we asked for help or chatted on phones not paying attention. The resort is beautiful but there are signs of wear and tear that can be easily fixed with paint or just a cleaning but some may require more maintenance, like cracks and elevators being out.

The grounds/views are very nice and we enjoyed our time not letting the service bug us all that much but what makes a hotel move from a 4 star to 5 star at 1k a night is service. It's just not there. If you have been to Aman's, Jeremiah, Oberi, Bulgari, Auberge and even four seasons or St. Regis in Asia, the service is much better and on point 24/7 so taper expectations accordingly.

Just a tip on the room: if you take the rooftop studio part of your view will be of the roofs of the shop and sunset lounge. I didn't mind but in the pictures online is tough to tell.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nywestboy
I'm sorry to hear that the service you experienced was spotty. That's certainly not our standard or our goal. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and for letting other guests know about the Rooftop accommodations. It is difficult to show every view from the rooms and your comments are helpful.
Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope you will return again so we can show you the service you expect from a luxury resort such as Viceroy Anguilla.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End Village
Cap Juluca
Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!