“Amazing Stay”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Pennsylvania
“Amazing Stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort for 11 nights. I loved this resort. It is a large resort , beautiful contemporary design. A lot of stone and neutral colors. We stayed in Margate 2 bedroom 2.5 bath overlooking Meads Bay. I would like to start off by saying that the room is huge. King bed, full bath in the master bedroom, second bedroom two queen, full bathroom. A full kitchen, dining room/living room where my son stayed on the rollaway bed. The room was so big you didn't even notice the rollaway bed and a washer/dryer with detergent and static guard. Large balcony with sofa two chairs and a heated plunge pool with jets. Sadly the plunge pool was leaking. Where the water was going? I do not know. Room was cleaned everyday and turndown service as well. Bottles of water left each night. Housekeeping did a great job. I requested at check in a specific time to have housekeeping come each day and they honored it everyday and evening. Asked for extra towels and coffee and they left it. The kids club is behind the Margate bldg, so we heard the screaming kids and barking dog every morning. I will request next time which bldg I would like to stay in. Ideally the Dorado bldg would be the best.

This resort has two beaches, and three pools. Barnes Bay beach, Meads Bay beach. Sunset pool which is 21 and older, Aleta pool, and Meads Bay pool for families and kids. The Aleta pool does not say it is for adults only, but most families with kids stuck to the kids pool over by Meads Bay.This was nice as my kids are older but not old enough for the sunset pool and it was pretty quiet at the Aleta pool. All pools and beaches have service. The best service we had was at the Aleta pool from set up of chairs to having lunch and drinks delivered to us. Kirin is a very hard worker at the Aleta pool. Meads Bay pool we sat on chairs for about 15 minutes and no one came over we then went to the towel table and no towels. I had to walk back to the beach to ask for towels. Service was not very good near that pool. We ate at Bamboo once for lunch, it was a good lunch. Don't expect service at the pool or beach. The beach service was pretty much non existent. They set our chairs up and gave us a bucket of water and never saw them again. We went to the beach twice during our stay and both times no service and they were saving chairs for people.

The sea center offers non motorized toys, along with a gentlemen that will pull you on his tube and hot dog for a fee of 20$ per person. Personally, I did not like the fact that the boats were crossing the shore line close. Not safe. The winds were so strong that we went out twice on the Hobie cat. The resort also has a putting green, bocce ball, volleyball, rock climbing wall, basketball court and tennis courts. All charges. But on our check out bill they did not charge us. :) The kids enjoyed the basketball court and rock climbing wall.

The SPA was nice. Hubby, son and his GF had a massage. They said it was wonderful. The mens locker room and sauna was closed for maintenance so that was disappointing. My daughter and I went for pedicures, nice and relaxing. Beautiful view from the SPA overlooking the sea. Husband, son and GF went back the day before we left for another massage, they said it was even better than the first one and the sauna was open. They highly recommend the spa.

Breakfast was good at Aleta. The continental breakfast included hot eggs, pancakes, sausage, and potatoes for $20 or you could order from the menu.The coconut french toast was good. On July 1st they changed it to Coba. This buffet was much better than Aleta and much more expensive. Could not order from the menu. Basically the same food on the buffet, our Aleta bill for 5 people ranged from 126.00-136.00. Our bill at Coba was $180.00 for 5 of us. Breakfast service was very slow, and even slower to get the check.

Overall, The Viceroy is a very nice resort. They need to do something about the lack of service on the beach and Meads Bay pool. Let me tell you, tipping does not matter. I'm ok without the service, but make it easier to get the towels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank djbPennsyvania
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
It's important for us to receive reviews such as yours so we can learn about all your experiences.Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your vacation time with us! We're so glad your family found it to be an amazing stay and we always like to see those words as the heading to a review.
Thank you again for staying with us at Viceroy Anguilla. We hope to welcome your family back to our tropical island.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It is truly a shame that the customer service at this hotel is so horrendous because the hotel is absolutely stunning. The views and beach are incredible. (Although Shoal's bay is my favorite).

I went knowing that a lot of people had awful customer service and thinking that because I'm not a picky person then it shouldn't be a huge issue.. but it really was. And I urge anyone who thinks this way to truly consider going to another resort.

The first taste of this horrendous service was even before getting to the hotel. I had called to schedule a private ferry from St. Martin to Anguilla and as soon as I started speaking the person on the other end would hang up the phone. This happened twice. My husband called and he was treated very rudely. At this point I was already getting worried and considering cancelling the whole stay which I honestly regret not doing.

As soon as we check-in the lady at the front desk told us that there was a shortage of keys (we later realized that the hotel was practically empty) therefore we could only get one key and I asked her if we split up how is the one with no key going to get in and she said, just knock the door and your husband will let you in. (Not only rude but dumb as well). We were sent to a room which was on the highest floor and the furthest room from anything else. Across from our room there was a large plot of land with some random person's house with two dogs who would bark at random hours of the night. At 4:30am (every single morning) a bird outside our door would start singing waking us up as well. It was impossible to sleep. The worst part was the creaky bed. Every time my husband would turn I would get woken up. I spoke to front desk about this and they promised to send someone to fix it, but of course, no one ever showed.

Going to the Bamboo lounge was another annoyance. The first time we went no one even acknowledged us until the bartender yelled what we wanted to drink and we were surprised since no one even gave us a menu. The second time, the waiter messed up my order and gave me and my husband the nastiest look. I can't even describe how awkward it was. The third time it was as if my husband and I were invisible so we left. We started going to the Straw Hat at the Frangipani hotel which has way better and had friendlier customer service (and drinks were $10 instead of $16).

The sunset lounge is absolutely gorgeous and service there is a lot more courteous but getting a menu and being served lunch was at least a 2 hour ordeal (we ordered sushi).

When I couldn't take the bad customer service and lack of sleep any more I wrote to Richard Alexander, the general manager. This was Thursday at 4am having just been woken up by the creaky bed hoping that we could at least get another room that was a little closer, a little quieter and with no creaky bed. I would've been happy with that. I didn't get a response until Sunday night (when we had obviously already left). Though he offered a 3 night stay I would never return.

This hotel is definitely not worth the price. The island has other gorgeous hotels so I would suggest you do a little research and not stay at the Viceroy, and of course, do not go to the Bamboo lounge!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
24 Thank NALB123
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

DESIGN
I have to start this review with design because this one feature had such a profound effect in all my memories i will carry of this vacation. The Viceroy resort has a unique architecture that is huge, and the pictures dont capture the feeling of it all. The rooms, the floors, trims, doors beautifully clad in earth tones, stones and marble. There is so much art pieces built in or placed in the property and rooms that are formed of natural materials like stone, hand carved wood, uncut crystal pieces. All in all, the place looks very modern or contemporary with the overall building shapes and large usable spaces, and in a perfect compliment the strategically added natural earth tones and earthy traditional art pieces keep it grounded and organic and welcoming, and never stark. Its a welcome departure from the simple whites and terracottas commonly found in caribbean beach resorts.

The resort has 3 unique main pools, but in my case I used the "bamboo" beach side pool this trip due to my room's proximity to it, and that my kids loved its shallow sloping beach feature.

BEACHES
Meads bay is long with clean white sand and has an abundance of beach activities there like small catamarans for guests and boat rides available. In my case i used this beach for morning runs and swims. A jog or walk down this beach first thing in the morning is a great feeling.

The Barnes Bay side has unique nooks and rock formation and less action and great for snorkeling.

SERVICE:
In terms of service, the place was staffed by local Anguillans, and everyone i met who worked there had a great disposition and had pride in this resort and their island in general.

FOOD
A food highlight in particular for my vacation was the Sunset lounge sushi lunches, and the general ambiance of the adjacent infinity pool. We also enjoyed room service which came promptly for breakfasts, and the Coba restaurant for more formal dinner.

KIDS STUFF
The kids center was fun for my kids 3 and 5 years old to stay there a few hours a day, and we hired an onsite babysitter through the kids program to tend to our 1.5 year old in the same facility. The resort did this setup right- the proof was that our kids actually willingly stayed there to play so we could have tranquility, and peace of mind that the children were happy and safe.

In addition to the kids club area, other family oriented hotspots scattered around included rock climbing walls, ping pong tables in various places, and putting greens.

INTERNET
The wireless internet was fast by caribbean standards and seamless throughout the resort using same wifi connection access point name, so that I was able to use voice over internet protocol service (vonage extensions) on my iphone to avoid roaming charges, and I imagine that Skype would have worked equally well. The connection was good enough we used email or instant messaging on phones to page family on site with dinner plans for example.

Definitely will be coming back frequently!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Waterdave
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Wow!
Thank you for your exceptional overview of the design, beaches, service, food, kid stuff and internet. Your review of the design is one of the best used to describe the decor and feel of the resort. I'm sure many readers will appreciate your attention to detail.
It is certainly a pleasure to learn that you had such a favorable experience and are planning to come back frequently. We look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy Anguilla.
Tierra Amarilla, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Viceroy lets you enjoy the charm of Anguilla but with luxurious accommodations. Def. recommend the bike tour led by hotel staff. Pools are spread throughout the property & offer something for everyone. Room was spacious, staff was friendly and private plunge pool on our balcony was a plus.

Spa was disappointing. The space didn't seem quiet finished and our treatments were sub par.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Your description of our resort is appreciated. The resort was built to provide exactly what you described: "the charm of Anguilla but with luxurious accommodations" and we are pleased that you found the room to be spacious, the staff friendly and the private plunge pool was a plus.
Thank you also for your recommendation of the bike tour. It is a terrific way to explore the island and learn more about its history. (It is also a good work out.) We are sorry to hear that the spa was disappointing.
We hope to welcome you back to Viceroy Anguilla and thank you again for your review and your visit with us!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Viceroy resort is a minimalist absolutely amazing place where spending some days in the paradise. Everything is super. Nice location very close to the famous sandy beach ( reachable in 10 minutes by boats just in front of the resort). So much attention to details . The rooftop suite is amazing . 3 double bedroom and private pool on the rooftop. We were there for the 4th July long week end vacation . We had so much fun ... Again: super!!!!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review and for spending the 4th of July holiday with us. It's a pleasure to hear that you had so much fun and truly enjoyed the resort! Anguilla is a paradise and the nearby beaches are an added bonus. We appreciate your comments and your stay with us. Please visit with us again.
Stamford
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent resort for a honey moon! Customer service and food was perfect ! The views, beaches and pools made the trip. I would absolutely recommend this resort ! My wife and I have traveled to many different locations and this was our favorite so far. I can def see us coming back in the future. If you come here you must ask for Alison to take care of you at the pool!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nickbelli1
Richard A, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Congratulations on your wedding and we thank you for staying with us for your honeymoon!
We greatly appreciate the wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to Viceroy Anguilla.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Wonderful staff and great service from the nice people at the Viceroy! This was one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the pleasure of staying. Everyone seemed to care about our stay and comfort and we received a nice upgrade. I would highly recommend this venue.

Room Tip: 304 to 314 (in that range) are great views with plunge pools!