“Modern hotel conveniences with the best Anguillan staff”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
10spower
“Modern hotel conveniences with the best Anguillan staff”
Reviewed 24 January 2010

This was my fourth visit to Anguilla. i usually stay at the Malliouhana, but friends wanted to try the new Viceroy. Upon arrival, we were a bit concerned, because the hotel was kind of empty and there is still construction going on. The hotel staff however, was clearly focused on making a real effort, to make sure we were happy! First of all, the people of Anguilla, have been raised with a sense of respect for individuals, even crazy Americans who need everything right away. Each request was met with a smile, and quickly you learn to relax and enjoy your vacation, and the people around you. They appreciate that you are here for a fabulous vacation. Brent, the manager was always available and accomodating. Remy at the pool, brought his smile and sunshine. Although the beach that the hotel provided was about a mile away from the hotel, a shuttle bus was available. Frankie always gave a warm welcome to all. You can walk there too, and once the hotel is complete, access will be easy! I actually liked the beach being away from the hotel. It was very Anguilla, relaxing on a quiet beach away from the hustle of the hotel. I would love them to keep this once the hotel is complete. Breakfast is included and the staff and servers were very accomodating. Had a massage with Susanna who came over from Nevis. Also Alana and everyone at the front desk were willing to help. The hotel looked a little more south beach than the carribean with alot of beige marble and stone. It could use some splashes of color, but with the attention to detail and their willingness to accomodate guests, I am sure it will develop the carribean warmth it is set up for.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank 10spower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Baltimore
Reviewed 20 January 2010

My husband and I traveled to the Viceroy Anguilla in January to celebrate our tenth anniversary. I discovered it in the New York Times travel section that came out in the fall. Our entire purpose was to lay on the beach and completely relax in beautiful surroundings. That's exactly what we got, but I never could have anticipated the level of service and elegance at the Viceroy - and I am a very picky traveler.

My family teases me for my tendency to switch rooms at least once, sometimes twice within the first hour of arriving (in my defense, I usually do this because the "full ocean view" also includes a scenic view of the dumpster, or the nonsmoking room smells like a cigar club). I grew up with a father who is a frequent business traveler to the Caribbean, and my husband and I have stayed at many four and five star resorts in the U.S., South America, and Europe (including Four Seasons, Park Lanes, and LHW properties). If a hotel advertises itself as luxury resort, I hold it to a very high standard. The Viceroy did not disappoint. In fact, they anticipated just about everything I could have challenged them on and one-upped me. Not only did we get a discounted rate for the after holiday season, but upon check-in we were upgraded to an incredible two story suite without even asking. Our room had one of the best views on the property with gorgeous sunsets. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. On the beach, seven attendants were ready at all times to bring complimentary bottles of chilled Fiji water to us practically every hour. If you needed a chair moved, an umbrella shifted, your towel shaken to remove sand - you barely had to move and someone was there to assist you. One of the waiters at the complimentary continental breakfast knew which table I liked and always had it ready for me in the morning. It was nice to be in a luxury hotel that threw in so many things for - gasp! - free. There was no mini-bar in the room, but we had a dozen cans of soda, Fiji water, a full fruit plate, bread sticks and humus and salsa waiting for us when we arrived. You could access the wifi anywhere on the resort, and again, no charge. On the beach, you could take out boogie boards, surf boards, borrow snorkeling gear, even go on a sailboat ride, all at no charge.

Now a few disclaimers: The property is huge, and there are parts that are still definitely under construction. However, you can still have a fantastic time and not be bothered by any noise or inconvenience. They have finished the main section where there is a gorgeous infinity pool, open air bar with light fare menu, and their main restaurant. To keep guests away from the construction, they only had three of their five restaurants opened, but my husband and I ate at the hotel 7 of the 9 nights we stayed there and we were very happy. I do think it is important for travelers who are considering this hotel to realize that they are still working on parts of the property, not all of the restaurants may be open, and things like the jogging trail are not complete. Still, I think the hotel is offering great discounts and incentives that I would recommend travelling there before all construction is complete. We never heard or saw any of the construction from our room, and it was only on our way to the beach that we saw the unfinished parts.

I also took spin classes from Kimberly who was great. There was a $15 fee to take the class, but I really thought that was reasonable. On some nights, there was live music or a DJ at the open air sunset lounge. If you want to see the island, I would recommend renting a car. Taxi's can get expensive. My husband and I wanted to be complete beach bums, so we only made it out a few times. I can recommend Luna Rosa, a very nice Italian restaurant run by a man from Naples, Italy. We also went to Veya which we really liked too.

The decor of the Viceroy is beautiful. Everything is done in very soothing light colors, and the rooms are so different from your basic hotel room.

There are only a few things to nitpick about. I had an incredible mushroom and goat cheese pizza for dinner one night. I ordered it again and it was prepared with different mushrooms, more cheese, and more garlic which was disappointing. I'm thinking there were two chefs with two interpretations of how to make it. The mosquitoes come out at night, but the hotel stocks every room with a can of OFF. In peak travel season, I could see how the Viceroy beach might feel a little crowded, but I think they are opening up more sections. We never felt cramped on the beach and there were more waves then I have seen in the Caribbean.

If you want to take a chance on a hotel that is not that different in price from some of the other upscale Caribbean resorts but is brand new and unique in its excellent customer service, decor, and attention to detail, I would highly, highly recommend the Viceroy Anguilla.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
Belmond Cap Juluca
Belmond Cap Juluca
#5 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla? Share your experiences!