“Most beautiful beach”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Most beautiful beach”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Most beautiful beach I've seen. Staff was incredibly attentive and friendly. Room was spacious. Grounds pretty but natural. Not crowded. Good breakfast buffet included. Meals at dinner at resort restaurants were plenty good but maybe not great.

Room Tip: Villas 15-19 have fewer rooms per villa
1 Thank Donald B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Polish first
Escondido
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We visited Anguilla for the first time and stayed at Cap Juluca. We have been wanting to try this resort because of all the beautiful pictures and we were not disappointed. We loved it from the moment we arrived until we left. The beach is beautiful with great beach service. The servers on the beach are wonderful, friendly and very efficient. All of the staff at Cap Juluca are great. The girl that checked us in could have been a little more friendly but everyone else were wonderful. We had breakfast on our patio every morning which was very nice. The beach chaises are the best. The chairs are spread out enough that it is very quiet. It is definitely at the top of our list now of favorites.

Room Tip: I would say the rooms far down the beach are definitely quietest but a little more of a walk to the...
2 Thank Lori M
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed with my wife for 6 nights in May. The resort was almost completely full the whole time we were here but it never felt crowded. It was amazing how uncrowded their beach was considering this fact. I would have guess more like 50% occupancy just based on the lack of people on the beach.

Upon arrival we were warmly greeted with rum punches and cool towels. We arrived a few minutes before check in and our room was ready. Cap Juluca's open air lobby has a stunning view of Maunday's Bay and gets nice breezes. There are chairs and couches for relaxing here as well. Complimentary afternoon tea/coffee and scones are served everyday at 4pm in the lobby as well. I loved the unique Moorish styling throughout. The chandelier embodies this and is just perfect. First impression is this is a 5 star boutique property and is in no way cookie cutter.

The two best things about CJ are its beach and their exceptionally friendly and genuine staff. Maundays Bay is the single nicest, most drop dead gorgeous stretch of sand either of us have ever set foot on. Many resorts have rows of chairs on their beach-not here. A single row of well spaced out chairs and umbrellas is never crowded. We enjoyed getting to know many of the team members and had many pleasant interactions with them all. They get to know your name very quickly.

This is "Old World Caribbean Luxury". I love the fact the do not nickel and dime you for everything as well. Two examples- First I inquired about where to fact a local fruit stand. They asked me what I was looking for and I told them fresh Coconuts. Their response was we will get some off the trees on property and have them brought to your room for no charge. Second example- We got a little sun burnt. One call to the front desk and they got some fresh aloe from the plants on property and had it cut up and delivered to our room again with out a charge. To me this is what a 5 star property is about and sadly many have gotten away from doing things like this. The feeling is you are a guest-not just a customer. There is a big difference and the staff exudes this feeling at all times.

The other big plus is that every room here has a full ocean view and is beach front. The walk to the beach (which just so happens to be the best on Anguilla) is a mere 30 seconds, and we had the lowest category room booked which was actually really nice. Every Villa is right on the beach and the bedroom doors open right up to it for a view that is to die for. The grounds are very well kept as well. They do a good job of manicuring the beach every morning. Beach loungers are very nice, super comfortable too. Upon getting to a set of loungers the staff comes over and sets you up with a cooler of waters and towels. If you need food or drink just put up the red flag on your umbrella.

Service is top notch and you will basically never hear them tell you "no" for anything. We loved the manger's reception on Monday and we got to know many people there and at breakfast every morning. Breakfast came with our stay and was plentiful and consistently solid. Breakfast is serve at Blue which is right on the beach and the perfect way to start your day.

The not so good...

Really the only thing that was a real disappointment here were the two dinner restaurants Pimm's and Spice. There are many incredible restaurants on Anguilla and several within ten minutes of CJ. My advice is to leave property for dinner. At Spice my food was not even cooked right and to be honest, nothing we ate there was very good at all. They did cook things right at Pimm's but the food was absolutely nothing but average. For a truly superb and memorable meal go to Veya (my personal favorite) Straw Hat (my wife's favorite) or Da'Vida a close second. All 3 are top notch and light years ahead of PImm's and Spice. For something really cheap and really good go to Ken's BBQ in the Valley!

we did visit Viceroy and it is impressive but is huge! It will be a long walk to get anywhere on that property and the beach is not nearly as nice as the one at Cap Juluca. Cuisinart is nice and has a lovely beach. We had a great meal there at the bar as well and toured their hydroponic gardens.

In conclusion...

If we had to do it over again CJ would win hands down. Its really not even close for us after visiting the other two big names on AXA. Despite the food issue I would highly recommend anyone to stay there with the caveat that you will go off property for dinners. Cap Juluca is a very special and unique place with exceptional people working there and in our opinion has the nicest beach on AXA (which is saying a lot). This is a place you can go and relax and be spoiled. We hope to return one day!

Room Tip: not a bad room in the place
3 Thank Kelly_TPM
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough about this place. Perfection. I was a little nervous reading other reviews about the place being a little dated, but I found it to be perfect. We walked right out from our room onto the most gorgeous beach I've ever been on and I've been on some damn good beaches. This is just simply relaxing perfection. I can't say enough about the people on this entire island. Everyone is so nice and willing to help. Cap Juluca is so private and quiet and has the very Caribbean vibe we were looking for. We came here for our 9 year anniversary, and we couldn't be happier. There were times when we felt the beach was just ours. The staff here is impeccable. The water is so crystal clear it's almost surreal. I read other reviews that said the food wasn't so good, but I thought everything was great. We went to a lot of different places on the island and a couple of nights just stayed on or are at the resort and everything was great. We went over to Viceroy to check it our, yes it is beautiful, if you are in a big city, it's just not the vibe I want while in the Caribbean. It's big, it's showy and just too much for me. I prefer small, private and quiet and Cap delivers all of that!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank punkin44
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The best Beach anywhere! The people at Cap Juluca are simply delightful......they are a beautiful example of the Anguillan people and culture. Sweet helpful and the most gentle.....just like the island breezes. I have been coming since 2001......ANYTIME I visit another beach resort I am ALWAYS sorry that I'm not here.....Four Season Nevis.....Sandy Lane Barbados...Ritz Carlton Aruba, etc. If you're looking for perfect grout between the marble tiles or the latest iPad turn on and off your tv lights etc...Cap Jaluca is not for you....try the other resorts I previously mentioned. However, if you're looking for a serene beach vacation you should do yourself a favor and come here. The resort's simple sophistication coupled with it's lush beautiful grounds and MOST SPECTACULAR BEACH make it a heavenly place to relax!

Room Tip: Every room is beach front......I prefer first floor...direct walk out to beach...however second floo...
1 Thank Marisa M
NY, NY, USA
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Bottom line: if a quiet, relaxing Caribbean-style beach paradise is what you're after, look no further than Cap Juluca.

It's obvious that the two top properties on Anguilla are Cap J or Viceroy (CuisinArt feels really tired), and they couldn't be more different. I'll admit that compared to the super-slick Viceroy, the Greco-Moorish style of Cap J does feel more old-school (it was opened in 1988!), but a recent renovation means rooms have all the mod cons (Frette, DVD, iPod Bose etc) while still retaining its Caribbean feel. And though the Viceroy is popular among the hot, young crowd, we were surrounded by repeat visitors at Cap J, which says a lot.

We stayed at Cap Juluca for 5 nights with a GREAT deal through LuxuryLink (which basically worked out to $400/night for premium room, including b'fast, afternoon tea, welcome champagne and minibar), but spent a whole afternoon and sunset snooping around the Viceroy to see what all the fuss was about. You can see my thoughts on that hotel at the bottom.

By far and away, the best part about Cap J is the beach - while technically a public beach, the property takes up the entire length of powder-soft Maundays, which alone gives a lovely feeling of uniformity and serenity. Rooms are housed within stark white, two-story Moorish-style villas (we were on the upper floor of Villa 19, the furthest down the bay, a 10-15 minute walk to reception along the beach), all of which are directly on the beach and are each allocated the most comfortable sunloungers, chilly bins with water, and umbrellas outfitted with red flags for service when you need it.

The room was great - spacious bedroom with comfortable bed and bedding, large bathroom stocked with Molton Brown, and a lovely terrace looking straight over the water to St. Martin. We'd briefly looked into moving purely because it was a pain to keep calling reception to get a golf cart to pick us up (eventually, they just gave us our own golf cart!), but when offered a larger room on the ground level that was closer to everything, we far preferred to stay where we were. The only real negative about the room was the noise from the A/C firing up periodically during the night.

As for the food, the "continental" breakfast buffet was pretty simple but generous - aside from usual fruit, pastries, cereals etc, it also included eggs-to-order, crispy bacon and herbed sausages. But because of the lackluster reviews on the restaurants, we ate out the rest of the time (though the $65/head Wed beach BBQ with all-you-can-eat crayfish, lamb etc seems to be very popular), and we somehow missed out on the daily complimentary afternoon tea.

With regard to service, generally speaking, it was excellent - nearly all of the staff were genuinely cheerful, friendly and helpful.

We didn't check out the spa, but the two spacious A/Ced library/computer rooms came in handy for teleconferences (for my husband) and a huge collection of books (for me). The only other public areas that I thought could really use some work were:
1) the boutique, which was running low on basics like sunscreen and the souvenir/clothing departments were pretty uninspired and old-fashioned.
2) the bar, which felt more like one you'd find in an airport with tired furnishings and a TV, with very little if any view of the water.

And as for my comments on the Viceroy for what they're worth (after spending an afternoon and sunset snooping around): like many people have observed, this enormous branch of the trendy international hotel chain could easily be in Hawaii or South Beach. It's all very hip and see-and-be-seen, but while the property is perched between two bays, the beach takes a back seat to the pools, whether it be the sunset-facing infinity by the main bar, or another pool we came across that had cabanas to rent, outfitted with couches and TVs. All this said, it's an impressive place that would be a better pick than Cap J for a girls' or boys' trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second/upper floor have better views of the water, and villas are numbered from 1-19 in...
3 Thank MHTK
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I just celebrated our 10-year wedding anniversary with a trip to Cap Juluca. The trip was everything we could have expected and more. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted with a room upgrade and a bottle of champagne. The staff was friendly and continually went out of their way to make our experience a special one. The view from our room and the beach itself is spectacular.

A few other tips/highlights:

We stayed in Villa 14, which is one of the smaller, more private units (which we really liked). If you can, try to request a Villa further away from the public areas (a bit quieter, and private).

For those that have said that the rooms are not sound proof - my wife is extremely noise-sensitive; she didn’t complain once about noise or hearing other guests during our entire stay (which is probably a first). There were people above us and next to us during our entire stay.

We found Cap to be very relaxed and casual. The rooms themselves are clean and functional but not overly fancy. The major benefit was the view of the beach and easy access. We had drinks at the Viceroy one night, which definitely has more of a scene but makes you feel like you could be anywhere. Cap has way more character. It ultimately depends on what you’re looking for.

The staff on the beach was very attentive, bringing fresh towels and cold water throughout the day. Sorbet at 3:00 every day was also a really nice touch! Carol H and Koreen were very friendly and made us feel extremely welcome.

We ate at Spice one night and the food was ok. I would definitely recommend some of the other restaurants first (Veya, Jacala and Blanchards in that order).

We found the complementary breakfast at Blue to be very solid, with a very wide selection (including an omelet station).

We loved our experience at Cap Juluca and can’t wait for the opportunity to go back.

1 Thank John B
CeBlue Beach Resort
CeBlue Beach Resort
#2 of 3 in The Valley
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Belmond Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!