“Absolutely Perfect”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in West End Village
Sao Paulo
“Absolutely Perfect”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Cap Jaluca is a special place. A couple things to note: -We were on our honeymoon -We wanted privacy -We wanted to be on the beach

We had spent 3 days in St. Barths before arriving in Anguilla, so we were definitely coming from an upscale place with high expectations for our next stop. Anguilla was totally different in a really great way- chill, relaxed, not pretentious, etc. The staff at Cap Jaluca is genuine, friendly. You don't feel like you are at a giant resort.

For those considering the Viceroy, the newest resort on the island, I would highly recommend Cap Jaluca instead. The Viceroy has great restaurants, but it feels like you never left Miami, and the beach access is quite limited, and difficult to get to depending on where your room is located. At Cap Jaluca, you are right on the beach, no matter what room you get. If you forget something, you take a one second walk back to your room. The Viceroy Sunset Lounge or Copa is great for dinner. I highly recommend going to Sunset Lounge for Sushi- when they have live music- awesome atmosphere.

We thought we had experienced all the amazing food in St. Barths, but Anguilla exceeded our expectations, and was truly better in regards to food/restaurants. I wouldn't say that Cap Jaluca's restaurants compare to those around the island, but they certainly aren't bad by any means. We had a lovely meal at Pimm's on our first night, with a great table on the water. The next day we arranged for a rental car with the help of Cap Jaluca and we tried all sorts of restaurants- the concierge at Cap Jaluca was super helpful in assisting us with directions and reservations (super easy to get around)- every restaurant was right around the corner- Veyas, Straw Hat, Dolce Vita, Blanchards, Smokeys, Sunset Lounge, Copa.

The continental breakfast everyday at Cap Jaluca could be more exciting, but it has everything you need....fruit, cereals, breads, omelets, juice, etc.-- it's the same everyday, but you can order a la carte if you want to change it up- costs extra

The Beach service is incredible- someone is constantly attending to you- bringing you fresh towels, cooler with ice water, cold towels, sorbet at 3pm, menu for lunch and drinks....

Keep in mind there is a pool, but not on the water. I am a total pool person, and I didn't go to the pool once. The water in Anguilla couldn't more clear- so the ocean becomes your pool.

The professional photos of Cap Jaluca is exactly what it looks and feels like-

It was truly a perfect finish to our honeymoon- we were both super relaxed when we left.

Some Tips:
--Rent a car --Take the ferry...the charters are way more expensive (we tried both, and there was no difference except the price)
--Go to Smokeys for the ribs- on the beach....amazing, you can walk from the hotel
--Dolce Vita was spectacular italian for a change-up- one of our favorite meals after 8 days of seafood
--Enjoy the huge book and dvd library- complimentary
--and the cookies everday at 5pm:)
--You have to try crayfish!!

Something my fiance noted, that didn't bother me at all
Anguilla tends to be very windy.....which I found to be very nice considering how hot it is, but there is a wind factor when you are sitting on the beach-- it didn't bother me for a second, but my fiance had to get used to it.

Cap Jaluca is by far the best option- the location, the staff, and the fact that all rooms are on the beach are true selling points...We were so sad to leave!!!

Thank you Cap Jaluca!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good no matter where you are- all of them are on the beach
8 Thank Whitney B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just returned from our honeymoon at Cap Juluca and we still feel like we're there. It was absolutely the best experience we could have had and far exceeded our expectations. The staff - from the bellmen (Myron, Lockhart, Paul, etc.) to the beach staff (Carol, Carol, Roxy and Terrance), everyone was so accommodating and personal. The rooms are directly facing the water and you can hear the ocean when you wake up and when you go to bed...magical. I've never been so relaxed in my life!

We had fresh coconuts delivered to our room daily and only had to ask once - after that, they magically appeared each morning! The beach bbq featuring musical guest Omari Banks was an incredible experience and we ended up making friends with a few other guests, which made our stay even more fun. The resort only had 35% occupancy which we loved because it felt much more intimate. The off-season has better rates and you're dealing with less guests so if this works for you, definitely consider going during this time.

Insider tip - you must, must take the trek down the uninhabited beach next to CJ to Smokey's restaurant. It is worth every step. Take my word for it. I've literally never been in a more blissful state than I was after having that meal/experience.

Insider tip - go to the grocery store close to the resort (Best Buy - they don't sell electronics) upon arrival to stock up on essentials like water, beer and snacks so you don't spend tons at the resort. We saved well over $100 doing this.

Insider tip - make sure to check out Blanchard's Beach Shack - AMAZING FOOD.

Insider tip - if you're into live music and a chill, beach vibe - make sure you go to Dune and hear Banki Banks. One of the best musical experiences I've ever had (and I have had many). It was GREAT!!!

Insider tip - Viceroy is a place to be seen. While we were SO glad we did not stay there, the decor and architecture is like no other. The Sunset Lounge is open to the public and I highly recommend going at well, sunset. View is gorgeous but they have no beach so if you're into laying on the beach and having your drinks and food brought to you and being able to swim directly to the water within a few feet - don't stay at the Viceroy. Stay at Cap Juluca.

Overall, I have nothing terrible to say about CJ. Although the restaurants (Pimms and Spice) could have had better food - it wasn't bad. We will be returning at some point - that is a definite.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the main lobby are considered the 'rich people rooms' so if you can...
7 Thank Lallie H
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you’re looking for what feels like your own private island complete with powdery white sand, crystal blue/green water, and an attentive staff this is the place to go. Just returned from our honeymoon and we had an amazing time…I would recommend it to anyone! 5 days in the junior suite and 2 days in one of the private pool villas. Good breakfast buffet at Blue is included, and a special shout-out to Fiona on the staff at Blue…she made us feel special each and every day. I would suggest exploring for dinners…the lunch and dinner food is just OK.

3 Thank Craig P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent two nights at Cap Juluca for a wedding. Beautiful location on a spectacular beach. The rooms are very spacious and well-appointed. Each room affords privacy because of the unusual layout of about 20 structures each with about six rooms. The bathrooms are spacious and beautiful with lots of marble, shower, huge tub that fits two people at one time, vanity, bidet etc. Service was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hawaiiyoung
Newton, MA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is our third late spring early summer escape after an especially long nasty winter. Everything is just perfect here. Early morning beach walks. Lunch at Blue. Picture perfect sunsets. Staff are so friendly and helpful. Who could ask for anything more?

Room Tip: We prefer an upper room around 8, 9, or 10.
1 Thank Elenute
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 May 2014

First of all this place is beautiful just came back after spending a week after being recommended by wife's friend as best beach in world. I can say it looks beautiful but there were rocks that I stepped on constantly and found some of beach staff rude. Blue is great but again pricey. Our friends were staying at Cuisinart which I found to be better beach and friendlier. Also visited Meads which was best beach in my view but did not care for viceroy. So if you like beached I say Meads is best cap juluca for view and vieroy for sunsets. Meads also had better resturants and better prices instead of overpriced cap juluca and rude staff.

Room Tip: all seem good
2 Thank mike t
Chicago
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I came back to Cap Juluca to celebrate our 10-year anniversary, almost exactly ten years after honeymooning at CJ. While the beach is the best beach you will find anywhere, due to the mostly physical changes from ten years ago, we will not be returning to the property in the future. Things look drab, mismatched, dirty, and overall just old.

Checking in we were provided a complimentary upgrade to a premium room, 16-4. I wasn't a huge fan of the view as half the beach was cut-off by the wall from the unit next door. Within 16-4, we had heated bathroom floors which was nice, but that is about all of the extravagance. The hooks were still in the walls and ceilings from a mosquito net, yet there was no net. The blades on the ceiling fan in the bedroom were badly worn with a lot of brown showing through the white blades. Before dinner, my wife left a bottle of water on the bed that leaked through the sheets and mattress pad. We went to the office on our way to Maunday's Club for a drink to request them to change the linens. When we returned three hours later, the linens were not changed. But the biggest problem was that while at dinner, our room sprang a few leaks in the bedroom and a few in the bathroom. We had large puddles in the bedroom and dripping in the bathroom. We called and told them about the linens and about the water on the floor. While waiting about 15 minutes, I called back and officially asked for a new room as even though we were wiping up the puddles, it kept running onto the floor. I didn't want to risk puddles, nighttime bathroom breaks, and tile floors. They were amiable and we left most of our stuff in 16-4 and moved to 19-1.

19-1 was the same premium room, but we found it to be nicer. The view was much better, the bathroom had double sinks and a double tub, though the closet was smaller. So what was wrong with 19-1? My wife tried to take a bath one night - with the water came brown granular "stuff" that was not sand. We informed maintenance and they did something with it as the tub was cleaned. Unfortunately, when we ran the water again, we got less "stuff", but still enough that there was no way she was going to take a bath. So then you had the shower. But the shower head had about 1/4 of the pressure anyone would expect. We had to use the handheld massager that felt like we were getting a massage from a body builder. Long hot relaxing showers were not had. From the bathroom, we had a great view out to the beach. With that view, two large blinds were lowered. One blind was able to be raised, while the other was broken and had to stay down the entire time.

Truthfully, I am not trying to disparage CJ, but this is what happened and I want everyone to know our comparisons between ten years. It just does not come across to us as luxurious any more. A few more problems… We were given a bottle of champagne in our room upon check to celebrate our anniversary. Very nice. But, with the room change, the champagne was never put on ice after the original bucket. We didn't request it to be iced, but I shouldn't have to - it was a waste of a bottle. We had drinks at Maunday's Club on Saturday and Sunday night. Both nights, the drinks were terrible. One night we both had the special of some fresh ginger, lemonade, rum mixture - they were bad. The next night I asked for something rummy and coconutty. I received a vodka, coconut rum, triple sec mixture that was almost undrinkable. Monday we had drinks at Spice while listening to Boss and those were very good - a champagne cocktail for her and a Junior's Special for me.

Beware of the upcharges for booking things through the concierge. I understand some upcharge, but $20-30 per person for a sea shuttle and $15-20 per day for a rental car gets aggressive. Do a little research and book these things on your own. Renting your own car means you don’t have to take a taxi to/from the resort and you can explore the wonderful island and restaurants during your stay.

Overall in the resort it’s as if they need a bunch of money or a kick in the butt. Pulling into the Viceroy, you have flames and waterfalls welcoming you. At CJ, one night two of the four flames were lit, one night three flames were lit, and another none of the flames were lit. All over the resort you can tell where they patched painting the outside of the villas. If you look closely enough, it looks bad. At Blue's bar, the awning over the bar and chairs was absolutely gross with mold/mildew.

I could go on, but I don't need to bore anyone with more specifics. CJ is dated, it doesn't seem that most of the employees care (as I always had to say hi and good morning to them first), yet there isn't a better beach out there.

I completed the guest satisfaction survey and among my many comments, I summed it up like this:

Having water in your room is one thing, but having rooms look dated and being non-functional is another. The property needs an extremely large influx of capital to come close to returning to luxury.

The best way to put it is looking at the cauldrons at the top of this survey (the four at the entrance to the resort.) One night we drove in and two of the four were lit. The next night, three of the four. The next night, zero. Drive down the road to the Viceroy and look at their entrance. Cap Juluca's flames are burning out and without some major help, all four will die with the resort.

9 Thank moppieralphie
Anacaona Boutique Hotel
Anacaona Boutique Hotel
#8 of 13 in West End Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Anguilla
Four Seasons Resort and Residenc...
#4 of 13 in West End Village
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
Zemi Beach House, Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Shoal Bay Village

Been to Belmond Cap Juluca? Share your experiences!